UE Super.fi 5 pro vs. Shure e4c based on three criteria
Nov 23, 2005 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
So, here's my dilemma, my sony Ex71's are gradually falling apart, and I'm in need of a new headphone by Christmas. I've done some research and based on my needs decided that the UE's and the Shure's are what I have to choose between, so I am leaving it up to head-fi to decide, because I know that the majorities opinion is always right.
k1000smile.gif
So vote with these three criteria in mind:

1. Overall sound quality unamped. I'll be using these out of a 4G iPod and really would like a very clear and powerful sound. So, Bass is important, but even more important is detail, in terms of seperation of instruments, and being able to define an instrument clearly. I really dislike the wall of sound that sometimes happens with headphones, and love when I'm able to discern things I wouldn't normally hear coming from speakers, or craptastic headhpones.

2. Isolation. What has the best ability to isolate me from the rest of the world? I don't like those guys.

3. Durability. In your opinion which is going to last the longest in normal to somewhat heavy use.

Go on, vote!

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1lexure
Lol, I'd appreciate it if members of the trade didn't vote. Especially considering it's really abundantly clear why they voted for what. M'kay, thank you.

I don't think he should have voted, but this response is unfairly dismissive to someone who has an established record as being a supportive retailer to this community. I usually wouldn't respond to something like this, but you're insinuating a lack of personal integrity that just is not justified here.

Regards,

-Jason

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 28
Out of all the IEM's I ever owned, the Super.Fi's were the only ones that I listened to, and in less then 5 minutes, they were back in there pouch thingy!! I couldn't believe the overly blooted bass, and tinny highs!!

Call it bashing them, or knocking them, but no way can these hold detail, and musicality with the E4c's, IMHO.

Plus, you can always boost the bass just a tad, on the E4c's, if you need more.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
wouldn't recommend using the ipod eq for a bass boost

i find it distorts the music

Agreed, EQing with the ipod stinks.

As for the 3 criteria, I think the E4 is the way to go. You will sacrifice some bass, yes, but you will gains detail and avoid the "wall of sound" that I think can sometimes describe the sf5pro. The E4 isolates better than the sf5p, by a lot IMO. Finally, the E4 seems like the more durable IEM, but the sf5p does come with replaceable cables.

However, if you do get the E4, I suggest amping them (I know you want to use them unamped, but I like spending other members' money
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 28
what's your source?

it thought it was an ipod but then i read your post again and found out that you didn't mentioned it at all.

if you have an good eq on your source then i would recommend the e4's

if you have an ipod, i would recommend the superfi's

also take a look at this thread

The advantages and disadvantages of both IEM's are summed up very nicely

in the end it all comes down to your own taste

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 28
To my ears, the Super.Fi Pros provide a much richer, fuller sound coming straight out of the iPod headphone jack, unamped. The E4 just doesn't have enough bass to give me an enjoyable listen. Is the E4 a technically superior IEM in terms of flat frequency response? Probably, but unfortunately specifications don't always translate into what one hears in the real world.
Amped, or out of a better source that doesn't have bass-shy issues, the E4 moves up the ladder quite a bit.
As far as isloation goes, the E4 with tri or bi flanges does a better job for me than the Super. Fis.
And with regards to durability, although the Shures have a much thicker cord, I don't know if that necesssarily translates into "more durable." The UE's seem very well made, and, in the event the cord gets snagged or breaks, it is an easily replaceable item.
All of this is, as usual, just my opinion. I really like the UE's straight from an iPod.......they are just more "musical" to these old ears.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 28
Having both the super fi's and the shure e4c's, it's no contest if you are going to go unamped out the 4g ipod; go with the super fi's

Amped or with another source it's a lot closer call and gets down to personal preferences. I like the low end and the comfort of the super fi's, but for mids and highs and over all detail, i like the shures.

I had the shures first and when I was buying the super fi's i intended to evaluate them both and get rid of one. But they sound enough different (and I have multiple sources) that i can justify having them both.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I don't think he should have voted, but this response is unfairly dismissive to someone who has an established record as being a supportive retailer to this community. I usually wouldn't respond to something like this, but you're insinuating a lack of personal integrity that just is not justified here.

Regards,

-Jason

Agreed, Jason, but now you need to vote!
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 28
It really depends on what is the most important to you. Having owned both I'd say you are going to have very nice bass with the Super.fi out of your source. They will not compete no matter how much you EQ them with the E4C in the warm mids and sweet sweet highs. Your source is bass deficient so even though the bass on the E4 is in balance with the other ranges it will sound a bit recessed to you.

Isolation is no contest the E4C goes further in the ear and blocks out the remaining 1/3 of sound that the 5pros don't.

As far as durability I've not read about more broken cables than the Super.fi's but I've been told this problem has been corrected. FWIW the cables are about 1/4 the width of the E4C.

I'd say your other requests outweigh the bass sacrifice so my vote goes to the E4.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 28
Auditioned both and went with the super.fi. Straight out of the ipod's hp jack, the super.fis are fantastic and well balanced. Nice bass and decent highs (although the mids could be a little better). The e4s just sounded thin to me without an amp, and I definitely perfer my ety 4ps over the Shures without an amp.

I can honestly say that out of all of the iems I've owned (etys, Shure e5, e4 (briefly) and super.fi 5 pro), the super.fis are the best straight out of the ipod.

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 28
If you are asking which we suggest, then why did you vote in your own poll?
If you voted for one, then it's probably what you want, so just get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back