UE 5 Pro (Custom) vs Westone ES2 vs Westone ES3
Jun 15, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #16 of 33
ES2 in Candy Blue:
candyblue8oo.jpg

ES2 with Custom Artwork:
eagle6xd.jpg

I'll get a shot of the case, etc up in a bit. Need to find the image first. :)

Jun 17, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 33
Nice pictures, nice artwork.

Few questions as I am on the market for a custom too:

Are the ES2 bigger or smaler than related competition products?

Can you lay down with the head on the pillow with them in the ear?

And another question concerning the cost of eventual repair out of warranty (exemple - wax blocking the drivers), how much will set me back?

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven
no offence dude, but you mean your faith is based on whether there's a live band in church or not? then it's not much of a faith anymore eh? =) no harm intended, just a comment. please don't take it the wrong way. =)

None taken. No, my faith is not based on anything since, as I said, I´m an atheist, but they might of had a better time convincing me of their beliefs during my young years in a religious school if there was something actually fun about going to church. Just sounded strange to me, a band with PA in a church
eek.gif
nothing I could ever have imagined, it just doesnt happen over here. Dont mean to offend.

Oh, and Im not a goth and not from the north of europe. Further south (Spain) and just a plain sound engineer trying to make a living doing what I love.

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 33
"2X's. any idea how much are they? i coudln't find any pricing on the sensaphonics website.
how much does ES2 cost?"

I am looking to get a custom set of IMs to and I read somewhere on headfi forums, the 2Xs are selling for $750 plus audiologist visit, and they offer an optional detachable cable.
The ES2 sells for $650 all included in price - you order them from an audiologist in your area and he is doing the rest.

Please anyone corect me if I am wrong here.

Before I'll buy, I want to know what are the costs for repairs out of warranty on Sensa, UE and Westones, cause I read some horror stories about one of the brands mentioned here and I want to play safe.
Reputation is another thing to consider...

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 33
Would the default UE attuentor do the same thing? I heard the UE atteunator is 200+ ohms.

I've read your report but i still don't understand how it takes out the bump. could you try to explain it to me?

also, after the 'removal' of the bump, how's the bass like? is it really tight like the bass on the E4 or is it warmer/fatter but not overpowering like the UM2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAndy
Hi vii_heaven,
Since the last 9 months I use the ES3 with a 120 Ohm resistor to get the bump out. If interested check out my reports:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=uandy
Greetings
uandy

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

how much does ES2 cost? and how long does it take to produce one when i send in my impressions?

The ES2's MSRP is $650 (this does not include shipping or getting impressions done). Call a few different Audiologists in your area, sometimes you can get a good deal. Here is a search we have:
http://www.westone.com/cgi-local/muslookup.pl

Once we have the impressions here in the labs, it takes 3-5 business days and then they are shipped 2nd Day DHL back.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Before I'll buy, I want to know what are the costs for repairs out of warranty on Sensa, UE and Westones, cause I read some horror stories about one of the brands mentioned here and I want to play safe

For Westone, the repair cost is based upon what needs to be done. Eg, driver blows out on your ES2 - approx. $75.00, plus shipping.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Few questions as I am on the market for a custom too:

Are the ES2 bigger or smaler than related competition products?

Can you lay down with the head on the pillow with them in the ear?

And another question concerning the cost of eventual repair out of warranty (exemple - wax blocking the drivers), how much will set me back?

Most if not all dual driver custom IEM's are the same size. The 3-way and triple driver systems will be slightly larger of course.

You can lay down with them, but it really depends on your ear and how they fit your ear.

See the earlier post about repair pricing... it's quite reasonable.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #27 of 33
Sorry for the delayed reply. Get the ES2s. They are one incredible IEM and are highly under rated in my opinion. They blow the UE5c's away. I literally never listen to the UE5cs.

The ES3s have their purpose, but for overall music listening and most applications the ES2s are the way to go.

Sensaphonics are another consideration, I happen to like the ES2s more however.

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
The ES2's MSRP is $650 (this does not include shipping or getting impressions done)..

I stand corected, my mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
For Westone, the repair cost is based upon what needs to be done. Eg, driver blows out on your ES2 - approx. $75.00, plus shipping.

I have to agree, the price is very reasonable. I decided to do a research regarding the repair policy after reading some posts here about a certain company based in my neighborhood - Chicago...

Thank you for the information.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven
Would the default UE attuentor do the same thing? I heard the UE atteunator is 200+ ohms.

I've read your report but i still don't understand how it takes out the bump. could you try to explain it to me?

also, after the 'removal' of the bump, how's the bass like? is it really tight like the bass on the E4 or is it warmer/fatter but not overpowering like the UM2?

The 200 Ohms would be too much. Somewhere around 80 could work out as well without setting the level down too much. How electrically the bump is taken out I cannot explain in detail. Only that due to the very low impedance of the ES3 the additional resistance causes the upper mids and highs to be gradually reduced. 120 Ohms is quite handy because Meier-Audio sells such an adapter. I use it with a Creative Zen Touch and it gives enough output. The bass I can only compare with the UE10Pro (that I also use): very fast, lean, clear and hard. For some it might be a bit thin which it really isn´t. The UE10-bass is more fat, comes handy for portables with a weak bass amp (mostly the built-in stuff). For my personal taste their bass is simply too strong and overlays parts of the musical information in the 400-1200 Hertz area, when used with an additional amp or connected to the stationary HiFi-set. Overall for me the ES3 is a great step towards perfection and although I have quite a lot other good stuff (Grado RS1, UE10, AKG K1000, Ety4s and p) there is quite a bit more lifelike reproduction with the ES3. Their strong point is mainly fast response, clearness and focus. The UE10 sounds more forgiving, warmer, musical, good with portables but a bit less lifelike or real. Could be that the ES2 is somewhere in between - but this is just an estimate. Altogether I am extremely satisfied with the ES3 and whenever I hear music with them it is still the overwhelming lifelikeness that I find so unique. If it ever breaks I hope that Westone will still produce them because I will not buy any other IEM. Please keep in mind that this is my personal experience - others may find other results.
Greetings
UAndy

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
Hey Powderhound,

how much does ES2 cost? and how long does it take to produce one when i send in my impressions?

ES2 =>   650$   Relatively short time to produce. About less than 2 weeks!
ES3x => 850$
ES5 =>   950$

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back