UE 5 Pro (Custom) vs Westone ES2 vs Westone ES3
Jun 14, 2006 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

vii_haven

100+ Head-Fier
I was just thinking of maybe getting some custom IEMs done in the near future. Was looking at the UE 5 Pro ($700), Westone ES2 ($650), Westone ES3 ($800).

I am mainly using my UM2 with custom molds currently for stage monitoring (i play drums in church regularly) with Shure PSM700 and the Aviom Personal Monitoring system. Also, i use my IEMs for regular music listening on the go with my 3G iPod and my Shuffle.

The 3 models of custom IEMs i've listed above all fall within a close range. I just have a couple of questions that i hope someone can help me with.

1. Comparing the 3 models above, and matching it with my usage patterns, which one best fits my usage patterns (limiting it to the 3 listed models only)?

2. How is the UE5pro compared to the Westone ES2? Which has a more neutral sound?

3. I understand that the Westone ES3 has an intentional mids-bump. How does that affect my monitoring and my music listening? Will my bass seem deficient (similar to a dual driver) due to the bump in mids?

4. I've heard that triple drivers are supposed to give the best bass response. But how much different is it compared to dual drivers? Considering the fact that Westone has a mids-bump.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 33
Any reason you aren't considering the 2X's? or the UE-10s..

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 33
You play drums in a church?!! And need monitors??!! Wow, gotta get into one of those death metal pagan cults, how cool.

(Forgive my lack of knowlege on how things are done in the US, we dont usually have live bands in churches over here, I might not have turned out such an atheist if they had)

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 33
I'd send a PM to digihead if I were you. He has all of those IEMs, plus the UE 10 Pro and the Sensaphonics 2X-S. Out of the three you listed, I'd recommend the ES2. I would guess that the ES3 would have been better if you were playing guitars or singing, since the midbass bump would give your instrument more prominence and clarity in the mix, but for your purposes, the more neutral ES2 would be the best. The UE 5 Pro is said to be not quite in the same league as the ES2/ES3.

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager
You play drums in a church?!! And need monitors??!! Wow, gotta get into one of those death metal pagan cults, how cool.

(Forgive my lack of knowlege on how things are done in the US, we dont usually have live bands in churches over here, I might not have turned out such an atheist if they had)

my friend, I need monitors to hear the rest of the band, as the stage is quite big. =) haha. and church music with a band is nothing like death metal. do check out artistes such as paul baloche, hillsongs, hillsongs united, matt redman, etc. =)

no offence dude, but you mean your faith is based on whether there's a live band in church or not? then it's not much of a faith anymore eh? =) no harm intended, just a comment. please don't take it the wrong way. =)

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Any reason you aren't considering the 2X's? or the UE-10s..

The UE-10s are definately within consideration but the pocket does not allow that currently. =) so i decided to go for the best dual driver OR, if the ES3 is suitable, maybe that. however the comments so far seem more favorable to the ES2.

and i don't like the fact that the 2X's are customs yet do not come with removable cables, its too much of a hassle to repair them should the cable come apart. tho, i have heard good thigns about the 2X's. any idea how much are they? i coudln't find any pricing on the sensaphonics website.

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
ES2's over the ES3's for a drummer. You'll loose too much of the kick drum with the ES3's. I'm using the ES2 -> PSM600 -> Aviom A16II..playing percussion. Works great.

Does westone have a version of the ES3 without the mids bump? or can i custom order one like that? that'll be just great if you guys do.

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager

Sounds like one of those Norwegian kids in black with the weird haircuts that looks realy scary but for the most part they're really nice people.

and did you check out all the featured full IEM reviews

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 33
Somebody say "church?"
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
Sounds like one of those Norwegian kids in black with the weird haircuts that looks realy scary but for the most part they're really nice people.

and did you check out all the featured full IEM reviews

yup. i did. but they don't happen to have anything on the westone customs. =)

Anyone has any idea whether the ES2s are single or dual bore?

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 33
so i gather that the ES2 is the best buy out of the 3 that i've listed on top? anyone has pics of ES2s? haven't seen any ES2 pics around. care to share the pics, of the IEM, the accessories etc..

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Does westone have a version of the ES3 without the mids bump?

We do not. It's kind of a "niche" product.

Quote:

care to share the pics, of the IEM, the accessories etc..

What kind of pics you want ? I'll can post some stuff.. special colors, art work, etc..

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
We do not. It's kind of a "niche" product.

What kind of pics you want ? I'll can post some stuff.. special colors, art work, etc..

yup. the special colors, art work, iem in the ear, etc. those pics will be great! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back