UE-11s have arrived - early impressions
Jan 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

djm2112

New Head-Fier
My UE-11s arrived earlier today. Black, with white artwork (Radiohead bear on the right, chimp wearing headphones on the left). So far, about 2 hours of use. My impressions/questions are:

1. These things are big. real big. Fortunately, I think they fit correctly. What amazes me is the difference in size between my right and left ear. I noticed that the "smaller" one (right ear) seems to "stick out" of the ear a tiny bit mroe than the left. Both are fairly flush to the ear. Are they supposed to be more "seated" in the ear? Again, fit seems really good, seem to be getting a good seal. Wore them running - they didn't budge. Based on others experience, what is the chance of a correct fit on the first try?

2. Prior IEMs were Shure 530 - which I liked, I just wanted to take the custom leap. The UEs are much more bass heavy, which I like. Not muddy, just more noticeable. Overall, the sound is really, really good.

3. I'm surprised how thin the cable is. Also, the part where the two separate ends meets in the middle seems pretty short. In other words, the junction (even adjusted all the way out) is pretty high on my chest.

4. Nice cases - both the small and large one.

5. Great customer service. While going through the impression and ordering process, was always able to get a live person on the phone.

6. Do these require a "burn in"? If so, how long and how do I burn them in?

So far, so good

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 22
Congratulations on your purchase!!! No the UE-11's will not require a burn in because the have "Balanced Armature" drivers. If you think the earphones actually sound better over time then it is most likely you getting used to it's new sound signature.
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 22
is the IEM easily driven without the help of an amp?

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 22
There is a learning curve putting customs in your ears. Give them a little time to warm up, they get better with a little time.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 22
Ideally the cord is worn around the back of the head and down the back. I have noticed that the older cables are thicker and have a larger distance from the headphones to the split then the newer ones with the thinner cables. I love my customs and would never go back to universal.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ideally the cord is worn around the back of the head and down the back. I have noticed that the older cables are thicker and have a larger distance from the headphones to the split then the newer ones with the thinner cables. I love my customs and would never go back to universal.

X2 you should be wearing it down the back of your neck and nowhere near your side of your neck. i'm surprised at the amount of people that have IEM's for ages and dont know this. customs do take a little while to get used to putting in properly. One way to test if they are in properly other than seal, is there is a little lip that should be about where your tragus is so if that lip is seated just snugly around there you should have it in properly.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 22
No pics, this post is a lie!
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My UE-11s arrived earlier today … My impressions/questions are:

1. These things are big. real big. Fortunately, I think they fit correctly. What amazes me is the difference in size between my right and left ear. I noticed that the "smaller" one (right ear) seems to "stick out" of the ear a tiny bit mroe than the left. Both are fairly flush to the ear. Are they supposed to be more "seated" in the ear? Again, fit seems really good, seem to be getting a good seal. Wore them running - they didn't budge. Based on others experience, what is the chance of a correct fit on the first try?

My first impressions were rejected by ue, at first I was a bit bummed I had to do it again, but when mine arrived the fit was perfect, so I can’t complain as I’ve read that others have had to have theirs resized.

Quote:

2. Prior IEMs were Shure 530 - which I liked, I just wanted to take the custom leap. The UEs are much more bass heavy, which I like. Not muddy, just more noticeable. Overall, the sound is really, really good.

I don’t find mine overly bass heavy, but rather just right and very realistic. I really like the way they can handle the full spectrum from highs to lows and they truly shine in the mids.

Quote:

3. I'm surprised how thin the cable is. Also, the part where the two separate ends meets in the middle seems pretty short. In other words, the junction (even adjusted all the way out) is pretty high on my chest.

coming from the se530s the cables are awesome as I found the se530 cables too thick, heavy, they come apart at the Y connection and I hated the iphone jack. I'm very happy with the ue cables ...

Quote:

4. Nice cases - both the small and large one.

Agreed, I modded the large one to fit my amp, i7 and ue11s for travel.

Quote:

5. Great customer service. While going through the impression and ordering process, was always able to get a live person on the phone.

I agree, they were very good to me as well, both on the phone and over the net.

Quote:

6. Do these require a "burn in"? If so, how long and how do I burn them in?

Not in my opinion, mine sound as good as the day I got them April 08

I wrote a review if you are interested in reading, check my sig link and congratulations, they truly are great iem’s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 22
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 22
Congrats on the UE11. Possible to show a pic of the cable? I believe UE skimped out on the new design. The cable on my UE10 seems very thick and sturdy.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 22
Congrats, I am about to join club with you. I'm hopeful mine will be shipped this week. I am also making the jump from SE-530's.

I agree, let's see some pics. Thanks for your impressions and have fun enjoying your new toy!
darthsmile.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the UE11. Possible to show a pic of the cable? I believe UE skimped out on the new design. The cable on my UE10 seems very thick and sturdy.

You can see some of the cable in this pic and it's terminated to a right angle gold plug, if you need to see more let me know and I'll shoot some pics and post later today.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...s/100_3392.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back