UE 11 Pro Burn-In?
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Midnighttown

Head-Fier
well im going to recieve my UE 11 IEM's and i ask UE custom service if i need to burn in my monitors. they said that my IEM's wont need break-in any suggestion from you guys? thanks.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 12
My guess is that IEM's need much less burn-in than full-sized headphones. But they do need some time.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 12
My suggestion is to trust UE customer service and don't listen to unqualified people who might suggest X000 hours of brown noise or similar guesswork based on nonblind testing and no measurements. Many posts on a forum and/or expensive equipment doesn't make you an expert. UE - they f-ing designed the things, trust them.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Customer service is right, they're armature based, they don't burn-in like dynamic earphones.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnighttown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well im going to recieve my UE 11 IEM's and i ask UE custom service if i need to burn in my monitors. they said that my IEM's wont need break-in any suggestion from you guys? thanks.

You need to burn-in your own ears more than anything else. If you are coming from any other IEM, the bump in bass on the UE11 is massive. You need to acclimate yourself to it over a few days. It will always remain huge and somewhat overblown (at least to me), but you'll get used to it.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Like others have said, this is the difference between dynamic and armature drivers.
Armature drivers don't require burn in because of their design.
I think there are some thread talking about that here, but I don't have the link

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 12
btw, excellent purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that IEM's need much less burn-in than full-sized headphones. But they do need some time.

UE11's need no burn in. They use armature drivers, which do not burn in. They will sound the same out of the box as they will ten years down the line.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what 'bout the cable?

Cables do not burn in, because they have no moving parts. A robot would explain this fact with the old robot saying "DOES NOT COMPUTE". Cables and connector only get (marginally) worse with time because of oxidization and physical abuse from regular usage.

Btw I think I saw that jays put out a new headphone where the cable consisted of a single-crystal, i.e. a perfect Cu lattice with no defects whatsoever. I wonder if the difference with respect to conductivity is even measurable. Maybe it's just that it's much more durable... or maybe defects will introduced by regular usage. When I think about it it's pretty interesting, although probably only from an academic point of view.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 12
thanks guys so ill just wait for my IEM's to arrive tomorrow lunch hope for a good fit ill keep you guys updated =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back