UE 10Pro vs. UE Triple.fi
Dec 21, 2006 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

imz14u2nv

100+ Head-Fier
I know that the current debate seems to be UE Triple.fi vs. Shure E500, but I would really like to know how the Triple.fi is compared to UE’s own top of the range custom UE 10 Pro.

Do they actually give you the same sound but only in a universal fit IEM?

I know that the customs cost a lot more, so the issue is not price, I just want to know about sound quality.

I am just curious as I have always been about the UE 10Pro’s, they have a certain sex appeal, but the Triple.fi’s just seem to stick out way too much for my taste.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm not sure if anyone has both those IEMs. However, if you apply the fact that people say the SF5P's vs the UE-5s are a night and day difference, I would expect no less of a gap b/t the TF10s vs the UE-10Ps.

Dec 21, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know that the customs cost a lot more, so the issue is not price, I just want to know about sound quality.

If you can afford it then go straight to customs! The sound cannot be worse than universal and can only get better.

The 10 Pro isn't UE's flagship model for nothing
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

II would really like to know how the Triple.fi is compared to UE’s own top of the range custom UE 10 Pro.

UE's design goal for Triple.fi was to get as close to UE10 sound as possible with universal fit. They did not claim that the sound would be as good with Triple.fi.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Isolation is the name of the game with custom fitted, an advantage that universal fit cannot overcome.
The ultimate "decider" is the money/resale relativity, as none of these last forever.

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 16
Would custom molds made by ACS fitted to the Triple.fi be cost productive? If they use the same armatures, and both have custom molded tips, would it be ignorant to say you'll get the same sound for a bit cheaper? Needless to say the sound signature won't be exactly the same seeing as ACS uses a softer silicon sort of material, and UE uses hard plastic. But then again, who's to say which sounds better?

Btw, I don't know how much the Triple.fi's go for, nor do I know the cost of ACS custom molds for the varying IEM's that they do. I'm just playing Devil's advocate here.

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would custom molds made by ACS fitted to the Triple.fi be cost productive? If they use the same armatures, and both have custom molded tips, would it be ignorant to say you'll get the same sound for a bit cheaper? Needless to say the sound signature won't be exactly the same seeing as ACS uses a softer silicon sort of material, and UE uses hard plastic. But then again, who's to say which sounds better?

Btw, I don't know how much the Triple.fi's go for, nor do I know the cost of ACS custom molds for the varying IEM's that they do. I'm just playing Devil's advocate here.

I dunno about how it would sound...but thinking about how far it would stick out makes me limp.
redface.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno about how it would sound...but thinking about how far it would stick out makes me limp.
redface.gif

tongue.gif
I thought the point of this hobby was to get the best sound quality possible, no matter the costs, even if it does include looking ridiculous... Have you seen the pics of me in my CD3000's?! Where's your head-fi spirit?

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

The isolation would still be better with the UE-10. Custom IEM's seal the ear canal as well as the outer ear. A custom tip with a universal IEM seals the ear canal only. The better the seal, the better the sound. I went from UM2's with custom UM56 tips to ES2's, which use the same drivers as the UM2. I wasn't expecting much of a difference in sound quality, but the difference was pretty dramatic. I think it had a lot to do with the superior seal and isolation of the ES2.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 16
maybe there is also a difference in that the driver is in what would be the tips so they are closer to the ear than in the triple fi even with custom tips.

why not ask headroom because they have reviewed both iems?

Jan 8, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I know that the current debate seems to be UE Triple.fi vs. Shure E500, but I would really like to know how the Triple.fi is compared to UE’s own top of the range custom UE 10 Pro.

I am just curious as I have always been about the UE 10Pro’s, they have a certain sex appeal, but the Triple.fi’s just seem to stick out way too much for my taste.

Still wondering how the Triple.fi’s compare to the UE10 Pro, I was thinking of going custom with some UE10’s but if the Triple.fi’s have a bass bump, I was thinking that I might like the sound better as I love bass.

Has anyone been able to compare the two???

Silly question, can the UE10 Pro be ordered with the same bass boost as the Triple.fi???

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

The sound signature would not be exactly the same for at least four reasons. 1) The shape of the IEMs are different. 2) The materials are different... plastic/acrylic. 3) The customs are tuned specifically to their individually molded shape. 4) The Triple.Fi have a slight bass boost at 60Hz.

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Still wondering how the Triple.fi’s compare to the UE10 Pro, I was thinking of going custom with some UE10’s but if the Triple.fi’s have a bass bump, I was thinking that I might like the sound better as I love bass.

Has anyone been able to compare the two???

Silly question, can the UE10 Pro be ordered with the same bass boost as the Triple.fi???

It seems that people think because there is a bass boost in the TFs that there is a lot of bass to them. This could not be further from the truth. The added bass boost is 1) to make them slightly more enjoyable vs. analytical than the UE-10, and 2) to compensate for the TFs not being as close to the eardrums as the UE-10.

There is not tons of bass with the TF. The bass that it has is extremely defined, accurate, tight, and deep. But it is not overwhelming by any lengths... it is just about right. There are songs I listen to where they even benefit from a little bit of bass BOOST.

The highlight of these IEMs, by far, is their amazingly smooth and near-perfectly defined and well imaged treble (and has no roll-off that I can hear). I've posted about it many times, so you can search the threads for those reviews.

The mids are superb, too, but if you are familiar with the "UE sound", you know that their mids are slightly recessed and not so "upfront and in your face" which I find pleasureable.

I don't think anyone here has both the TF and the UE-10 pro, at least no one that I've seen. Give it time, I'm sure someone will (like me, because I will eventually own the UE-10, but not for many months).

And regarding the added bass boost: I'm not sure if they can do that in the UE-10 because the crossover they use in the UE-10 is programmed differently than the one in the TF10pro. You might be able to ask them to use the TF components in the UE-10 but I find this to be very unlikely, as they don't want someone giving impressions of their UE-10 that is not their normal UE-10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back