UE-10 PRO ~(RIP)~ Shure E4 (Born 6-4-05)
Jun 5, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 43
Well that I can believe.. RS-1.
600smile.gif
That is a very good full size headphone.

While when I get my UE-10s, I will compare the to Shure 5s, I have now. Not that Shure 4s are exactly the same. But like to think the 5s sound better.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
You do? Mine are flush with my ears and only feel a little pressure from the stem. Not too bad. My sensas are better for this but I can still fall asleep with the ue10 in.

I guess you're right, I won't break them, but the sound changes as soon as I put pressure on the ear from the pillow. Of course the Ue's are flush with my ear, but the change in ear shape from lying down on it changes the sound. You don't have this?

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by seankonnery
I guess you're right, I won't break them, but the sound changes as soon as I put pressure on the ear from the pillow. Of course the Ue's are flush with my ear, but the change in ear shape from lying down on it changes the sound. You don't have this?

No. Sounds about the same. Everyone's ear canals are different so I guess that could be the reason.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #19 of 43
Also a factor in how that feel is the amount of wax that is in your ears. That may cause the pressure when laid down on them. And that can also lead to muddy sounding headphones.
icon10.gif

Iamdone, where are you on the amp side. I see you use the "SR-71", what do you think of the SuperMacro-3 for Ue-10s?

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #20 of 43
Thanks for one of the more lucid, well written posts I've read in some time, aWonderlust. While your loss is regrettable, I have taken a different truth from your post. As much as it hurts me to say this, are we beginning to see an eclipse of the mad dash toward custom molded IEMs?

I know that I'm likely to be stoned for offering such heresy. But, and god it pains me to admit it, I haven't even put my UEs in for months. They've just lost their luster for me.

If your particular experience has been different, that's great. I am jealous. But for me, they just sit there, staring at me, gathering dust.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Thanks for one of the more lucid, well written posts I've read in some time, aWonderlust. While your loss is regrettable, I have taken a different truth from your post. As much as it hurts me to say this, are we beginning to see an eclipse of the mad dash toward custom molded IEMs?

I know that I'm likely to be stoned for offering such heresy. But, and god it pains me to admit it, I haven't even put my UEs in for months. They've just lost their luster for me.

If your particular experience has been different, that's great. I am jealous. But for me, they just sit there, staring at me, gathering dust.

I use them mainly for exercise. They are great sounding portable phones especially for those who sweat a lot. They are comfortable and make exercise a lot easier!

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #22 of 43
I was actually thinking of picking up a pair of lower end Grados and see how they do as a portable. I'll see if the lack of isolation and how much sound they give off is a trade off for a sound I would prefer. I just enjoy the Grado sound so much that no iems seem to compare. It's been a costly process finding the right sound.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by seankonnery
I use them mainly for exercise. They are great sounding portable phones especially for those who sweat a lot. They are comfortable and make exercise a lot easier!

I guess the choice for UE-10s came down to something I wanted to use on the go. Whether it is at the gym "4 to 5" days a week. At the office and not wanted to get the looks I am currently drawing with the A900s. I am not looking to take the place of full size headphone for intense listening experiences. But to use when I can't use a full size headphone. In my mind this currently is the best thing, that is my taste. I only see one other top of the line model though, in 2X-S.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #24 of 43
that is one of the most vivid and interesting posts i have read on this forum.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 43
Ok so I just got home and I am dead tired after a rather um interesting day, I have not read any of the posts other than the first few but I have to say after more thinking im am puzzled as to why the Shure's sounded better to me after having the UE's for a year? Could it be totally psychological? I dont know, but im hoping I will find out. I plan on listening to the UE's and the Shures more in tomorrow, well I mean the "UE".. sigh... For now I guess I sleep on it and continue to think I am crazy, I'll be on in the morning, more like mid afternoon when I awake.

Je ne sais quoi.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 43
Rough story. The same thing happend to me, but with a 5,000 plasma TV. My buddies and I were moving it into the house where it crashed to the floor and smashed the guts inside. I thought it was the end of me and my plasma bliss, but luckily I had homeownership insurance which, for whatever reason, covered the TV. Granted your headphone is not a TV, but you did drop them and they are both very expensive. Give it a try and you may recoup some of the loss, if not all.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #27 of 43
http://img257.echo.cx/img257/1494/jun05013bb.jpg
http://img257.echo.cx/img257/7589/jun05038lx.jpg
http://img257.echo.cx/img257/3531/jun05046nv.jpg

Edit: Sorry the picture quality is crap, I spend my small amount of free money on things that I care about.
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Ryan:

I'm "shure" the Shures do sound great, but if someone claimed that a pair of $200 E4Cs had better sound quality than the $900 UE-10 Pros they'd probably be either laughed off the board or met with some strong opposition. Are you really saying the E4Cs sound better, or do you think your ears prefer their sound to that of the UE-10 Pros (something I didn't think was possible after reading impressions from UE-10 Pro owners)? Or could it be that the sound quality of the E4C improved markedly from the initial impressions after figuring out how to get the best seal with them?

- This is rather complicated to explain. First, the sound of the Shures does improve drastically when I backed them with the earplug foam as seen in the pictures. Howwcwe on first listen, the UE’s sounded much better, but I attribute this to my ears being accustomed to there distinct sound. Later, after listening to the more traditional HD600’s I realized I was wrong about the UE’s. Anyway, this foam modification mellowed out the sound without a loss of detail and provided for stronger, punchier bass while not sacrificing the decay. This difference in sound is so noticeable that when I used one of the e4's without the foam and one with the foam at the same time I could hear a clear difference in the sound with both in my ears, and even a larger difference when listening to them individually. I recommend this modification to all Shure owners since it allows the IEM to be worn more like an Ety, deep in the ear, with a proper seal and great comfort.

Next, I feel my ears had grown tired of the overly rich and warm sound of the UE's. This is why they began to sound almost muddy. A particular trance dance song that I am thinking of "Pretty Green Eyes" by Force and Styles has an amazingly energizing trancy non-electric piano layer that simply gets lost in the UE's bass and midrange. The Shures have less bass but have a transparency to them that gives them the sound of an open headphone rather than the very closed feeling of the UE's. I hope this helps in trying to describe my feelings. If not, stone me or ask more questions.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman

I understand about how you feel while they stare at you. I understand exactly how that feels. There is just something about them that was not appealing to me after listening to them for a long time and perhaps convincing myself they were great since I paid so much for them. Honestly, I had more fun listening to some Klipsch computer speakers or now my Shures than I did the UE's. I also would warn anyone who wants custom molded IEMs. They have drawbacks that include the fact your carrying around an extremely delicate and expensive piece of equipment when people have their ipods stolen on a daily basis. Also, you can drop them as I have proven. Furthermore they are hard to listen to whenever you want because they block out so much noise that you miss phone calls since you can not hear them.

Also, I found them a pain to simply travel with usually since you need to communicate with others and this requires talking out both IEMs to hear the other person and to not be rude. Then you have to place them in a pouch of some sort so you do not damage them. Basically, they are an extravagant burden. In the coming days I am going to listen to the Shures and the UE more despite my want to never see them again. I also am going to listen to some RS 1's that my friend owns and my HD600's to determine what is so different and unsatisfying to me about the UE's.

On a final note, I listen to alot of music from the classic country of Johnny Cash to a huge variety of 60-80's rock, heavy metal, classical composers like Vivaldi and Bach, trance, techno, electronica, singer songwriter, cuban and even rap on occasion.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #28 of 43
aWanderlust, interesting post. I've been considering custom IEMs, but also thinking about trying out the E4C before taking that plunge.

I wonder if you could explain the soft tip modification you did in more detail? Or post a link to where you read about it. I'll try that if get the Shures.

With thanks,

Pablor

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
that is one of the most vivid and interesting posts i have read on this forum.

???
confused.gif
???

In which ways? What's so interesting in the description of an accident, which furthermore is now making impossible for the poster to have the necessary time to properly evaluate his initial impression regarding UE-10 vs. E4c?

For what concerns me, I can't see how what he writes is referring to UE-10. Even now I'm switching between them and my DT 880 and they obviously differ in sound signature and soundstage, but in no way I could describe them as muddy. And note that DT 880 are renown for their detailed nature.

Also, I believe it is a disservice to the community to write that Klipsch computer speakers can be more fun to listen to. I'm not disputing that everybody is entitled to his own opinion but... are we here to talk about hi-fi (head-fi, that is) or what?

For what is worth, I used to own Shure E3s. They were so far below UE-10 in comparison that I did not even take them into account while writing my review. Has Shure made some sort of a miracle with E4? Maybe they have.

Lastly, aWanderlust, I don't believe you can properly evaluate stereo cans by listening to a single channel. The listening experience is totally destroyed.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Also, I believe it is a disservice to the community to write that Klipsch computer speakers can be more fun to listen to. I'm not disputing that everybody is entitled to his own opinion but... are we here to talk about hi-fi (head-fi, that is) or what?

Exactly, he's entitled to his opinion. There are plenty of people at Head-Fi who dislike very expensive gear that other people love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back