uDAC volume control
Mar 30, 2010 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

qoouep

Head-Fier
First off: I know that it's best to leave all the volume controls on the computer on max when using a DAC.

However, when I use IEMs with my new uDAC, the right channel is significantly quieter than the left until the volume is above a certain level. I would prefer the volume to be quieter than that, but the only way to lower the volume while still maintaining equal volumes in both channels is to lower the volume on the media player or the Windows 7 sound mixer.

It seems to sound best when the Win7 Mixer is at max volume, the media player is very low volume (and then the uDAC is at the point where both the left and right channels are the same volume).

This system works, to a certain extent, but I end up tweaking the volume all the time and when other programs make sounds it is quite deafening. Is there a better way to do this?

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Use ASIO, kernel streaming, or WASAPI. Then other sounds won't bother you while you have your player open.

One better way of doing this would be to buy a dedicated amp, then leave all volumes but the amp's volume maxed and the balance issue will be gone. This is more expensive though
biggrin.gif

You might be able to convince NuForce to replace your DAC if the channel imbalance is that bad. Lots of people have the problem, but I haven't. I'm either lucky or my ears are really bad.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One better way of doing this would be to buy a dedicated amp, then leave all volumes but the amp's volume maxed and the balance issue will be gone.

This is good on theory but if you use the uDAC to feed other amp and set the volume max on the uDAC, the sound *might* clip and distort a lot. Best to leave the volume at 3-4 o'clock when using it as a DAC.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 13
Either way, a dedicated amp is kind of out of the question both because of cost and because this is a portable setup.

I use Mediamonkey, which I don't believe supports WASAPI.

I have ASIO4ALL though; how would I use it to accomplish this?

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is good on theory but if you use the uDAC to feed other amp and set the volume max on the uDAC, the sound *might* clip and distort a lot. Best to leave the volume at 3-4 o'clock when using it as a DAC.

Really? Why's that? I don't know much about the workings of DACs and amps, but the volume control on the uDAC is analog so wouldn't it work pretty much the same as an amp's volume control? Or is it a problem related to the uDAC much like the channel imbalance? I've had no problems, but I can try lowering it and see if there's any improvement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoouep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either way, a dedicated amp is kind of out of the question both because of cost and because this is a portable setup.

I use Mediamonkey, which I don't believe supports WASAPI.

I have ASIO4ALL though; how would I use it to accomplish this?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...3/#post2369045

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Common problem with the udac. Either return it, or use an inline volume control to resist the gain a bit and make your amp see a higher impedance,then you can raise the gain on the amp and run it in a more balanced spot on the volume pot.

RadioShack sells one under the Auvio name thats decent.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 13
OK, I got kernal streaming working. How would you guys suggest I balance my volume?

The channels are even at about 9 o' clock and the volume is comfortable at 40-70% at that point.

Is it best to leave the uDAC at 9 o' clock and adjust the volume on Mediamonkey as necessary then?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 13
I would adjust the windows volume, that way everything scales with it.

Channel imbalance is a very common problem with potentiometers, especially cheap ones. I even have this problem with my corda 2move with sensitive headphones.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 13
Punnisher, the uDAC is independent of the windows volume control. Anyway, now that I have kernal streaming, Mediamonkey is the only thing that makes sounds anyway.

I guess in my previous post, I should have asked: To get the highest quality sound (given my situation), would it be best to leave the uDAC at 9 o' clock and adjust the volume on Mediamonkey as necessary then?

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Why's that? I don't know much about the workings of DACs and amps, but the volume control on the uDAC is analog so wouldn't it work pretty much the same as an amp's volume control? Or is it a problem related to the uDAC much like the channel imbalance? I've had no problems, but I can try lowering it and see if there's any improvement.

Well, I'm not really sure about this. This might depend on the relationship between your amp's gain and the uDAC's 2Vrms output. I didn't notice a distort when using the uDAC feeding my Glite. However, it distorted a lot with the iQube v2. Analog volume is not really the best solution for channel matching. The most popular volume pot, Alps RK27, is terrible at low volume.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Hello all,

I've been using uDAC for some time and I'm facing quite the same problem as mentioned above. I know that using the software volume control is not the best solution with regards to sound quality, but considering the uDAC has quite an imbalanced potentiometer it would be probably the most convenient solution (of course with the convenience vs. sound quality tradeoff)... When I used the uDAC with WinXP, the master volume control worked fine, but it doesn't work for me with Win7. Is there any way to use the master volume control in win 7?

The problem is that when I want a good sound (well balanced), I have to turn the pot knob to approx 1/2 or even more and then sometimes the volume is too high even when I set the application (i. e. Winamp) volume control or the appropriate volume control in the system mixer to the lowest possible value.

As far as I can remember, I read about this uDAC pot problem a few years ago (probably before I bought it) and someone mentioned that it is possible to use a higher quality ALPS pot to replace the original one. The problem is that I haven't found which ALPS pot would be a good replacement... any suggestions on that? :)

Thanks a lot in advance for any help concerning the master volume control in win7 or the pot replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back