uDAC crackle - MAC OSX 10.6
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cruizin caleb

100+ Head-Fier
Hey!

I woke up this morning and went to play some music [via Macbook --> uDac --> little dot I+]

I noticed something thats never happened before. I'd be listening to my jams and I'd get a sharp crackle / garble / distortion / glitching. 'Glitching' seems the best word to describe it. This isn't a continuous thing, it happens in intervals. Its only a split second or a second long or so, then it keeps going as it should.

This happens every 20-100 seconds. Its annoying. It is definitly my uDAC because if i play from my computer into my Little Dot I+ the problem then ceases to exist. (tho things don't sound as good
frown.gif
)

I searched head-fi for a solution:

Quote:

Hey guys, I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm starting to notice something a pop or crackle coming in my music :/ I've tested my PCs onboard sounds and I don't get the pops.

Quote:

I have been getting some of the distortion that was mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread - very annoying. The sound starts to crackle/break up with large dynamic swings. Has this happened to anyone else?

everything i've encountered is a 'WINDOWS 7' thing. haven't found anything for Mac.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 6
UPDATE:

weird. i went downstairs and restarted my computer and now i'm listening again (straight out of my uDAC) and i've been listening for just over 12 minutes and that problem hasn't reoccured. hoping that fixed it. not sure how or why that should fix anything tho.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 6
It seems to be a common problem with the uDac, which I own too (running W7 x64).

It is especially prevalent at higher volumes. However, for me, it seems a lot more persistent than once every so often - it is constantly there.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 6
You didn't run out of memory on your Mac did you? Was Time Machine backing up? Heavy disk activity can cause issues with audio sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back