uDac and Sennheiser 595 for electronic music?
Apr 6, 2010 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Lechango

New Head-Fier
Hi, new here. I currently use a portable amp/dac combo (nuForce Icon Mobile) for my pc along with Etymotics Hf5 IEMS. I decided I want something more comfortable and with more bass and clearer sound.

I haven't seen too much recommendation on a good introductory level pair of cans good for electronic music, but I've been leaning toward the Sennheiser Hd595 as I've heard they're good all around headphones.

My question is this: If I do buy a set of 595s would it be worth the investment to upgrade from my Icon Mobile to a uDac? Or would something like a good CD player replace the need for a dac/amp?

Also are there any better easily driven cans that would be better for electronic music? Keep in mind, I do enjoy other types of music (alternative rock, indie rock, pop), but I'd say 70% of my library is variants of trance (also a lot of vocal trance).

Thanks for any help. I don't consider myself an audiophile YET, but I know as soon as I get a good pair of cans I will be
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, one more thing. I have a fairly ****ty built PC and my USB produces a high pitch hiss through my dac/amp, would buying a PCI-E USB card solve this problem (as opposed to using my onboard slots)?

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 16
Denon D2000 has big bass and by extension are good for electronic. Low impedance, so probably pretty easy to drive. Their mids are recessed, but the uDAC's mids are colored forward (don't know about Icon Mobile) so that sounds like it could be good synergy.

Are you getting hiss from USB ports on the front or the back or both? Theoretically a card could help if your mobo's USB is that bad.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D2000 has big bass and by extension are good for electronic. Low impedance, so probably pretty easy to drive. Their mids are recessed, but the uDAC's mids are colored forward (don't know about Icon Mobile) so that sounds like it could be good synergy.

Are you getting hiss from USB ports on the front or the back or both? Theoretically a card could help if your mobo's USB is that bad.

I've tried all ports, some are worse than others but they all hiss.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 16
i have the 595s...they are too laid back for electronic IMO. To be honest, I don't like using them for any of my music. I use the 595s strictly for movies and gaming...they're awesome for both.

D2000 could get the job done for electronic but it is a must that you EQ them to tame the bass and bring the mids up a bit.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 16
Electronic/trance? The HD238 does much better than the 595 for the electonic I listen to, but I still prefer Grado, or AKG 701/2 for trance over all others. I may be in the minority though, I think the Denon D2000 would not fare well, (didn't for me) IMO..bass is not quick, and the "PRAT" is not that good
.....But too be fair I just didn't like the D2000 much at all.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 16
D2000's are great for electronica

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronic/trance? The HD238 does much better than the 595 for the electonic I listen to, but I still prefer Grado, or AKG 701/2 for trance over all others. I may be in the minority though, I think the Denon D2000 would not fare well, (didn't for me) IMO..bass is not quick, and the "PRAT" is not that good
.....But too be fair I just didn't like the D2000 much at all.

X1 I like the 702 for minimal / tech and ambient.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 16
I disagree with the idea that electronic music needs a headphone with alot of bass. Electronic music already has lots of bass in its recording. I listen to significant amount of dance music with the very neutral sennheiser HD580 and they are outstanding. So yes, the uDAC and sennheiser 595s would be great choice not only for electronic music, but for everything. Also if you do end up getting this, don't visit this site anymore. It becomes extremely addicting and you always have the urge to upgrade (and this is coming from a soon to be college grad who has no money). I am dead serious
frown.gif
. Head-fi is as much of a market as it is a discussion. Leave while you still have your soul. 595 and uDAC you will love.
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 16
hmmmmm...
i have the 595 myself and find that it's a pretty good al-rounder when amped.
it likes solid state, not tubes. solid state makes the bass come alive more.
it's a fully open headphone, and won't ever have the bass of a closed design like a D2000, but i think it does pretty nicely on electronic stuff.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 16
I tested the 595 with acoustic music and they sound perfect with it...tested with rock music and they are not good at all.
frown.gif

Their bass is not enough for electro music.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 16
i also have the 595s and i just think they're too airy for that genre. he wants a fun headphone thats involving...something thats immediately engaging.

i have the d7000 with a nuforce icon hdp dac/amp and its great for electronic...but that combo is probably more than he's looking to spend.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by classakg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tested the 595 with acoustic music and they sound perfect with it...tested with rock music and they are not good at all.
frown.gif

Their bass is not enough for electro music.

yeah i don't think the 595s are good for music that has a punch. i think they're great headphones for those who like a laid back listen...

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 16
It seems at first that trance and rock etc need extra punch. I think rock maybe be benefited a little by this (though the better quality gear i get, the less I like rock), but trance has so much bass in it to start. The last thing you need is more.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 16
My ALO-780 that I am selling are heavenly for electronic music
biggrin.gif
I am more of a rock and metal listener, hence the sale. They don't need a good amp to sound good to my ears either
smily_headphones1.gif
They are great for pop as well and pretty good for rock, but Grado's are better for rock of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back