UD-10 USB Audio Converter
Mar 12, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #211 of 240
I also bought the battery pack and cant tell any difference.I have a darkvoice,Paradesea dac,computer,and the dt990 2005 edition.Its not super duper high end,but sounds pretty good in my book and I cant hear a bit of diff.
I suggest leaving the battery pack out and just by the transport.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #212 of 240
I use the UD-10 only as a transport and I also can't hear a difference with the battery pack. I guess that makes sense since the battery would probably have more impact in the analog domain. So for using it as a transport I don't recomend buying the batteries.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #213 of 240
I was working for 2 weeks. But last Friday after I restarted the PC, Windows does not recognize the UD-10 any more -- it is listed as Unknow Device in hardware list and reinstall does not help at all. I tried it on 6 machines at work (all have Windows XP service pack 2) and none of them worked. I will take it home tomorrow and have one more check.

Do you know how I can determine whether it is a hardware or software problem? I really hate to send it back (in case I have to) because I got it shipped from HK.

Are there any drivers to download so I can install manually? Any specific inf file?

Thanks a lot for any opinions, really frustrated...

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #214 of 240
There are no drivers to install. It's a generic USB audio device. If it's not seen on any XP machine I would have to think its a hardware issue. Have you tried with a different cable just to rule that out?

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #215 of 240
Thanks for the advice. I was looking for another cable but couldn't locate an A to A type in my company. I do have some at home and will give it a shot when I get home tomorrow.

Found a related site
http://www.aca-vogel.de/audio/DHA/usbfaq.html

Might be useful but I don't know what to do for (2) quoted below. I tried (3) and it does not work

- This will be displayed also if the Vbus line must deliver power ( current is flowing)
- Check the SEL0,SEL1 Connections ! Are they connected to permanent 5V;3.3V via resistor?
If not, connect them via 1.5k resistor directly to Vbus (5V)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no drivers to install. It's a generic USB audio device. If it's not seen on any XP machine I would have to think its a hardware issue. Have you tried with a different cable just to rule that out?

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #216 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or just stick with DS since kmixer gets bypassed when using USB devices anyways
rolleyes.gif

bit perfect from DS... interesting eh?
basshead.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Just got my UD-10 today. Foobar kernel streaming didnt work, but choosing output to DS:USB Audio DAC works and I must say its miles better than my onboard Realtek AC97 spdif out (foobar KS).

In both cases the spdif signal goes into my monica DAC

I installed asio4all and got foobar to work with it, but I do not notice much difference between DS and ASIO output modes. However, when using DS mode, other audio sources from windows still will get mixed in (i can play warcraft with audio and listen to foobar simultaneuosly). This is not so for ASIO mode.

Anyway the point I found interesting was that, although both realtek and UD-10 produces bit-perfect output, there was still such a big difference in the sound quality. Attributed to the jitter perhaps?

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #217 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how I can determine whether it is a hardware or software problem? I really hate to send it back (in case I have to) because I got it shipped from HK.

Hardware problems. I also ordered the UD-10 from Hong Kong and the product had faults. The blue LED died after a few hours, the battery pack is a hassle with Windows and doesn't improve audio quality, and the terminals was loose and had to be tightened.

I fixed the problems, but have also heard of people (like yourself) that has received products with so severe faults that they could not use them. And it is really expensive to send the products back to HK for a RMA. Not good at all. If I had been selling products to costumers on the other side of the world I would make sure not to send faulty products. Period.

To my experience the Trends Audio products has decent sound quality, but the build quality is poor. I would not recommend ordering any Trends Audio products from HK. If you have to order; use some local supplier and let them take the problems with Trends.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #218 of 240
Thanks for the info. Wish I knew this earlier. Now they have more partners worldwide and it is easier to get one from local.

Tried another USB cable and ruled out cable problem.

Going to contact buyoyo.com to see how they are going to handle this. Can't decide if I should return it or get a replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hardware problems. I also ordered the UD-10 from Hong Kong and the product had faults. The blue LED died after a few hours, the battery pack is a hassle with Windows and doesn't improve audio quality, and the terminals was loose and had to be tightened.

I fixed the problems, but have also heard of people (like yourself) that has received products with so severe faults that they could not use them. And it is really expensive to send the products back to HK for a RMA. Not good at all. If I had been selling products to costumers on the other side of the world I would make sure not to send faulty products. Period.

To my experience the Trends Audio products has decent sound quality, but the build quality is poor. I would not recommend ordering any Trends Audio products from HK. If you have to order; use some local supplier and let them take the problems with Trends.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #219 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by erickoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed asio4all and got foobar to work with it, but I do not notice much difference between DS and ASIO output modes. However, when using DS mode, other audio sources from windows still will get mixed in (i can play warcraft with audio and listen to foobar simultaneuosly). This is not so for ASIO mode.

Anyway the point I found interesting was that, although both realtek and UD-10 produces bit-perfect output, there was still such a big difference in the sound quality. Attributed to the jitter perhaps?

ASIO is an exclusive mode, while DS is the standard mode windows' uses

your realtek produces bitperfect? only the ALC88x series can output bitperfect

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #220 of 240
Bah, nevermind. Wrong product. Excellent first post.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #222 of 240
I have a UD-10. Bought in the USA with battery pack.
After 4 days of use this is what I learned.
The headphone out has a Y adapter to go to dual rca which I used to go to my stereo preamp (sorry not headphones). The mechanical fit is not good.
frown.gif
The adapter seems to mate correctly before it's all the way in. It will go further but easily pops back. The audio level is definitely not a line out level.
frown.gif

I have to go another 1/4 turn on my preamp to get the same volume as other inputs. I also have another DAC. When I plug it into the UD-10 Digital out (coax) and go to the same audio in on my amp the volume is up where it should be.

I agree with the comments that this is transport with minimal audio out capability.

As to battery, my system does pickup high frequency noise through the USB port. I stopped playback turned volume full up and I could hear a whistling. Inserting the battery (which disconnects the computer 5V) stopped the noise.
But then the next day it was back. Found that buy wiggling the connector for the Battery pack it went away again and varied as I rotated the connector. Bad contact. So as others have found connector quality on battery and audio out are marginal.

I am using Foobar 0.8.3 because some people think it sounds best.

I have not been able to get ASIO4for all to work with foobar. I do have the plugin in foobar. But it does not seem to work with the ASIO driver. error message is unsupported format even at 44.1 and 16. what I think that means is that Foobar sent a request and got back an answer from the driver (ASIO) it did not understand.

I read that others have gotten foobar to work with ASIO but I suspect they are using 0.9.4.3.

Yes when using wavout or Direct sound you are still going through Kmixer and all other audio streams will come out this path. Choices are to turn off other types of inputs in the Volume control panel. However system alerts are wav and they keep coming. You can disable/change system alerts but cannot redirect them.

That's why ASIO is preferred for me. I want my wav data for my music and only that to go to the UD-10 which by the way shows up as a USB DAC.

ASIO does this. Kernal streaming does this, the new Vista does not use Kmixer and has an exclusive mode (what I want) for exporting to the USB DAC.

I have gotten a e-mail address for Trends in the USA. But my questions got generic answers for things I already had working. Unit comes with no manual, no data sheet. It did however give me a link to this site.

If someone has gotten Foobar 0.8.3 to work in ASIO mode I would like to hear about it.

Overall I think the electronics are pretty good. Connectors marginal, support nonexistant, price pretty good.

MarkFV

May 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #223 of 240
Which version of Foobar are you running?
When I tried ASIO4ALL with Foobar 0.8.3 I get either driver failed to initialize or if I deinstall ASIO and reinstall, I get format not supported. even at 44.1 and 16bit. So I assume Foobar and ASIO are not communicating even with the Foobar plugin in components directory. The plug in seems fine since the choice of ASIO comes up. It's just when it runs.
My guess is that you are on Foobar 0.9.4.3 (latest?)
MarkFV

May 25, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #224 of 240
Hello,

I have a UD10 running as a transport with a Bel Canto DAC. I'm running Foobar 0.9.4.2 with the asio plugin and asio4all and it works pretty good. In my case since i use it as a transport the battery pack makes no difference in the SQ so i don't use it. The UD 10 doesn't support anything higher than 16/48 so if you have any kind of software resampling above that, it will give you an error like the one you're describing.

Regards,
Diego

May 26, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #225 of 240
Diego thanks for the reply.
Yes when I tried the foobar plug in with 0.8.3 I got an error that I needed to go to 0.9.4.3 or at least something a lot newer.
My friend is running 0.8.3 with asio but not ASIO4all a M-audio driver and a different transport. I got his Foobar plugin. and then could select ASIO but when I tried to run it. It died even at 44.1/16. Format not supported. So I think I still have a pluigin driver mismatch.

As to UD-10 limitations I think when you say is can only do 44.1/16 or 48/16 I think you are right if you use the DAC (16 bit Burr brown).
However as transport It seems to do higher. I set Foobar to 92K and 24Bit with a trivista on the SPDIF. It ran, I was in wavout mode, it also ran in direct sound. Just not ASIO.
MY CPU usage showed that Foobar was upsampling If 35% CPU usage means anything. At 48K CPU was 15%.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back