UD-10 USB Audio Converter
Mar 9, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #196 of 240
I tried it a few times and could not for the life of me detect any audio differences between using batteries and not, so I dont think your missing much.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #197 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it a few times and could not for the life of me detect any audio differences between using batteries and not, so I dont think your missing much.

i can't either, but it helps me sleep at night
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #198 of 240
Yes I found the battery pack a pain as well. That's where the linear power supply comes in. You need a 5 volt 1.5 amp ac/dc linear power supply. It is the same as what the SB3 units use(not the switching power supply wallwart). I haven't bothered with the batteries since I got the unit. It cost me a whopping $15.00 from a former SB3 user. Elpac used to make them. There's another company also making them..I can't remember the name though. Bolder cable buys the packs and modifies them. I think Wayne buys his from Digikey?
The power supplies come up on Ebay from time to time as well.

I for one can hear the difference between the USB power and the linear power supply. Everything is more focused and dynamic using the external ps in my system.

Fife you're not suppose to use just any rechargeable batteries with the UD-10. The batteries have to be a certain voltage ..1.2 I believe. Also the amperage per hour must be right on the money or the battery supply will not work.

On a good charge I got 5 or 6 hours of play time from the batteries.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #199 of 240
Thanks GHM. I was looking at the Welbourne Labs one but that one is way too pricey and overkill for the UD-10.
icon10.gif

I'm going to look for a 5V ac/dc linear power supply work. Can I get one that ranges from 1.5-3.0 amps? Cheers

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #200 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed no real world sound difference in using the battery in my personal experience.

Neither have I. The "battery pack sound improvement" is a hype. I have also used a high quality 5v linear regulated power supply, but there is no notable improvement in the sound quality with that, or the optional battery pack.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #201 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither have I. The "battery pack sound improvement" is a hype. I have also used a high quality 5v linear regulated power supply, but there is no notable improvement in the sound quality with that, or the optional battery pack.

even though i can't hear the difference, i wouldn't say it's only hype

or else tons of people in the dedicated source forum would be pretty upset hearing a good power supply is only hype
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #202 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even though i can't hear the difference, i wouldn't say it's only hype

or else tons of people in the dedicated source forum would be pretty upset hearing a good power supply is only hype
wink.gif

A good power source is certainly no hype. In most cases it's a upgrade. But in this particular case the product does not benefit from the extra cost of the battery pack, or a good power source. The UD-10 is a good sounding product but the battery pack is needless. It's extra cost, a hassle, and doesn't make a real difference.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #203 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks GHM. I was looking at the Welbourne Labs one but that one is way too pricey and overkill for the UD-10.
icon10.gif

I'm going to look for a 5V ac/dc linear power supply work. Can I get one that ranges from 1.5-3.0 amps? Cheers

Yes Fife this should work.Just make sure the plug in connection is the same as what you have now and you should be fine.

As far as the PS being hype. This statement reminds me of all the guys that say CD players all sound the same. Or jitter can't be heard including the difference in using direct kernal streaming by way a non windows USB driver verses going through the kmixer using the standard direct outputs through windows.
If you can't hear the difference I applaud you. This doesn't mean some of us can't hear the differences. On a positive note, the ones that can't hear differences in equipment sure have easier audio choices over the ones that can hear distinct differences.

Good listening

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #204 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by GHM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the PS being hype. This statement reminds me of all the guys that say CD players all sound the same. Or jitter can't be heard including the difference in using direct kernal streaming by way a non windows USB driver verses going through the kmixer using the standard direct outputs through windows. If you can't hear the difference I applaud you. This doesn't mean some of us can't hear the differences.

Jitter can be heard. All CD players doesn't sound the same. And yes, ASIO is superior. My point is (and I guess some others) that the battery pack of the UD-10 doesn't make that much improvement in the sound quality.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #205 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jitter can be heard. All CD players doesn't sound the same. And yes, ASIO is superior. My point is (and I guess some others) that the battery pack of the UD-10 doesn't make that much improvement in the sound quality.

Well at least we can agree on something. lol

Good listening

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #206 of 240
That was what I was trying to say. I think on a higher end dac it would be, but at this price range, the batterpack is overkill. I am sure some difference is there, but given the choice again, I wouldnt buy it.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #207 of 240
Boo hoo. Now I am sad.

With just using the USB as power source, I can only hear music from the headphone out. It seems now that no music plays when I try using the Coaxial or Optical out. My pre-amp cannot lock in the signal (44 or 48 kHz) from the UD-10 but on my PC, the UD-10 shows up in the Control Panels under sound.

Any suggestions? I wonder if my UD-10 is faulty.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #208 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boo hoo. Now I am sad.

With just using the USB as power source, I can only hear music from the headphone out. It seems now that no music plays when I try using the Coaxial or Optical out. My pre-amp cannot lock in the signal (44 or 48 kHz) from the UD-10 but on my PC, the UD-10 shows up in the Control Panels under sound.

Any suggestions? I wonder if my UD-10 is faulty.

if you have all these problems.... then it probably IS faulty
frown.gif

i mean..... the UD-10 has been working perfectly for me (i can cope with its crappy designed power switching between USB and dedicated 5V).... but obviously for you it has been the exact opposite
plainface.gif

return it or sell it..... buy an AV-710 and call it the day
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #209 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zhaolu is a different thing..... apples and oranges

UD-10 is designed to be a USB Digital Transport.... the DAC and headphone out are probably for testing

It is a transport, but If the sound exit from the phone output it means that UD-10 have a DAC chip inside. Then it is a DAC too.

Please, somebody knows what DAC chip it uses?

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #210 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by zigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a transport, but If the sound exit from the phone output it means that UD-10 have a DAC chip inside. Then it is a DAC too.

Please, somebody knows what DAC chip it uses?

what's your point

it's still designed primarily to be a USB transport

using it as a USB DAC isn't what this product is meant to be

it's like using a hummer H2 offroad... sure it can do it but wasn't designed for it.... there's better performance to be found out there for similar prices
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back