(U.S. only) How to choose car insurance?
Feb 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Banned at his own request
So I watched Allstate, Geico and 21st commercials. In that order. Continuously. On TV.
How do you guys pick your insurance? No need to know with whom you are insured.
Or how safe (dangerous) is it to drive around without an insurance?

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 16
It is illegal to drive without car insurance in US. You will get a ticket if you get pulled over, and you will be in BIG trouble if you get into an accident.

As to how to pick a company, just go with the cheapest one IMHO. They all have their pros and cons, but in reality, cheapest one should be fine.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 16
There are specialized insurance agents who are retained to solicit insurance companies on your behalf. I had a DUI about 5 years ago and going to one was the only way I could afford to keep driving.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 16
Check and see if there are companies that only insure smaller groups of people or certain geographic areas. They'll often have lower rates because they don't cover everything everywhere. We have PEMCO which is based in and only insures WA residents and their rates are quite a bit better than the national companies.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 16
Seems like quite a pita. Just not so complicated in Canada.
OK, we're drifting towards politics... stop.
I would like to know why Allstate says savings, Geico says savings, and 21st says savings from Allstate and Geico?

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 16
Do check-out Progressive on-line
wink.gif

Also, call area independent agents !

Shop: compare/contrast each company's offerings cost/benefits based upon your specific demographic, driving and credit score history's .

Actually did just save 50% (per year) off my previous premium by switching from my Independent agent (Met Life & Causality 12 month w/payment plan) with a 6 month term paid in full with Progressive.com ...

Hope this helps some~

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 16
Linux FTW
Progressive... yeah, eh. Ads just appear wrong to me. With the Ford (oh come on, really, Ford) SUV's projecting headlights and the woman thing.
So region and credit history applies, eh?
OTOH how 'bout motorcycle insurance? This is real expensive in Canada.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 16
I justify the statement that "people save 400-500 dollars when they switched to _____" by thinking about the fact that people will only change their insurances when they are going to save money. Nobody is going to switch to spend more for insurance. I think that when the amount saved hits about 300-400 dollars per year is when people begin to think that changing car insurance as a worthy savings.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 16
So I switch from whoever to Allstate and save several hundred bucks, then Geico saves me 15% or more, then 21st saves me even more? What!? I'm sorry but I really don't understand!

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 16
All they're doing is comparing their rates to the industry average. Say, the average person pays $1k a year, then Geico/Allstate/Liberty Mutual/etc say by switching to them, you could potentially save X amount of money. TBH, it really doesn't mean much.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 16
Ignore the advertising claims. They're all slimy.

To pick an insurer, you really have to look at how they handle claims. Some are the scum of the earth and the rest are just scum. If you have an accident or issue, you want one that is simply scum. Otherwise, they'll just take your money and screw you when you need their help the most.

I *hate* insurance companies. It's more or less legalized theft considering the mandatory insurance laws. Not everyone is insured, of course, but I can't get into that without getting into various politics. Which means those of us above board have to purchase even more insurance to cover those without.

As for dealing with insurance companies... well, I try to find common ground and solutions that work in all of my dealings. I'm generally forgiving of opposing counsel and give them courtesy extensions, the benefit of the doubt, and so on. That usually pays off down the line and is worth it.

But with insurance companies, I get to be the giant a-hole lawyer. I start out with the biggest threats, won't budge an inch on anything and never hesitate to open up on them.

The sad thing is you have to.

Otherwise, they'll screw you. You practically have to threaten them - and sometimes instigate - scorched earth litigation simply to get them to follow what they agreed to do in the contract you've entered with them and paid a lot of money for. The calculus is that it is more profitable to deny everything until litigation costs threaten to overwhelm that savings. [/rant]

Motorcycle insurance is all over the board here, too. If you are riding a financed sport bike and are under 25, watch out. My '85 Nighthawk 650 isn't bad at all, but that's on a multivehicle policy, I'm 37, and have a clean record.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I switch from whoever to Allstate and save several hundred bucks, then Geico saves me 15% or more, then 21st saves me even more? What!? I'm sorry but I really don't understand!

Experience which comes with age has proven that staying with one insurer over years the premium continues to increase yearly and these folks then who switch insurers do so due to savings as is being alluded to in these advertisements, IMO&E...

I don't understand what is so difficult to understand other than you seem to be comparing advertisements and media marketing exclusively.

And why are you concerned with only US insurance rates, as these rates are always partly dependent upon specific overnight parking location and crime rates etc ?

Are you actually shopping or just comparing TV commercials ?

The Caveman ads are the "BEST". The talkin' gecko is ads are cute, though
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 16
I just did a little shopping for car insurance and ended my decision with Geico. They have good reviews plus they are very cheap. I got a quote from Liberty Mutual for ~$75 a month. I then checked out Progressive and was quoted at ~$95 per month, which is ridiculous.

I'm 24 and driving since I was 16, never had a ticket, drive a Nissan Versa (not fast, safe, inexpensive car), live across the street from work so I only use my car for grocery shopping and stuff, and have only had one accident in my life which was not my fault at all. So anyways I checked out Geico and here's the coverage I want:

$250k/500k Bodily injury
$100k/300k Uninsured motorist
$100k/300k Underinsured motorist
$100k Property damage
$8k Personal injury
$500 deductible comprehensive
$500 deductible collision
$15 per day/$450 max rental car

Geico quoted me at ~$46 per month! 6 month premium is only $212
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back