Typical time to rip album in EAC using blowfish recommended settings
Jan 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kniah

New Head-Fier
I just configured EAC using the blowfish setup guide (http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html) and ripping an album is taking approximately 40 minutes per album compared to around 5 minutes using EAC's standard settings. Is this typical? I'm using a Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz with 8gb ram on Windows 7 x64. Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 13
If you're using the secure mode it can take 40 minutes or even longer depending on the condition of the CD. If a CD is in a good condition it shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes. (that's my experience anyway YMMV)

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
If you're using the secure mode it can take 40 minutes or even longer depending on the condition of the CD. If a CD is in a good condition it shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes. (that's my experience anyway YMMV)

Thanks. I'm using secure mode although it seems to take about 40 minutes even for good condition CDs.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 13
I am curious as to which brand and model drive you are using.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 13
It takes my computer about 20 mins per CD in secure mode for a good condition CD. . . I've seen other threads like this elsewhere, rip times seem to vary a lot. . .

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the reply. I owned a Sony long ago, didn't take to it. I used to buy Plextor, until they stopped making decent product. Then I switched to Pioneer, which served me extremely well when I did a 1200+ CD ripfest. The Pioneer was very speedy with EAC and did an awesome job. Few discs slowed it down. These days I have been very happy with an Asus SATA model that is now a few years old. It really gets the job done well and quickly! But I had to pay almost $23 for it!!!!

If you have an extra $25 laying around, you might try to find a Samsung, Pioneer, or Asus drive and see how they do with your ripping. There are websites where they test various drives for their usefulness in ripping, at least there used to be. Some are way better than others. My ASUS <$25 model tests better than most other drives I've used. Right up there with the now legendary Plextors. You could argue that Sony is as good a name as any, but I wouldn't accept any argument in favor of them. That's just how my experience has gone. I always say "friends don't let friends use Sony". :wink:

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
And why would that be if I may ask. I happen to have a plextor drive and I haven't had a single problem with it so far.

Fair question, of course I'll answer. In the early days I used the SCSI interface religiously. All my drives were Plextor SCSI drives and they were all godlike. (and I had dozens of them) Then a few years back (maybe six), I bought my first ever ATA drive from Plextor. It was a PX 708A. It had an interesting feature where it could burn and verify a DVD, and when you tried to access the files on the DVD it would list them, but when you tried to access them it would say "Insert disc file not found". I tried working with Plextor via support and they basically told me it was my motherboards fault. (ASUS, some off brand company)(as if) I wrote back and forth with them for weeks and they were useless at best.

I still use ASUS motherboards, but I no longer use Plextor. The drive never worked properly in any computer I tried it in. It works as a CD drive but that's it. And Plextor basically said "oh well" and left me to hang. No warranty, no return, bah. To sum it up, when I had an issue, they were not interested. I haven't missed them or the higher prices they charge.

Glad your situation is better. For the extra price we pay for Plextor I just couldn't let them get away with what they did with me. Hopefully this won't happen to you.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 13
Now that makes sense. I never had to make use of their customer support before so I haven't had any experience with it, but it doesn't seem like the most helpful company to deal with in such situations.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 13
I wouldn't use EAC for standard ripping, Foobar's ripping process involve a comparison to the AccurateRip database and is fairly fast, that's what I use.
Alternatively you could use any other software and manually compare to AccurateRip.

And only when it doesn't match, break out the tool box and use EAC or dBPowerAmp's secure mode.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Now that makes sense. I never had to make use of their customer support before so I haven't had any experience with it, but it doesn't seem like the most helpful company to deal with in such situations.

I totally agree. I was pretty stunned actually. In a few of the many emails I sent them I asked them if they were comfortable enjoying such a high reputation while offering such poor service. No response. So I started writing emails to people higher up the chain. Nothing. Apparently with a reputation like theirs, they don't have to care.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the information and suggestions. I'll do more research next time when purchasing a new drive but this one works for now. I'm not in a particular hurry to rip the entire collection. Just curious if the time per disc was reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back