Tyll's retirement, sad day for the community.
May 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 30
Well, towards the end things kind of got weird to me. The wall of fame changing so often. And then I felt he totally missed the call on the Z1R. Anyway, he had a good run. Good luck to him.

May 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 30
Wonder if this has anything to do with the new ownership of Stereophile. They have been letting go a few of the old guard there. With InnerFidelity being under that umbrella, might Tyll (he’s old and white) have been persuaded to leave too?

May 12, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 30
Wonder if this has anything to do with the new ownership of Stereophile. They have been letting go a few of the old guard there. With InnerFidelity being under that umbrella, might Tyll (he’s old and white) have been persuaded to leave too?
What? He explains why in his video, no need to go full conspiracy theory.

Anyway Tyll has more than earned his retirement and I wish him the best.

May 12, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 30
Regardless, Tyll's reviews are what I'd always refer to when I'm looking a purchasing a pair of can that he'd reviewed. Anyway, he's more than earned his retirement, I'd like to wish him all the best in his future endeavors.
I don't find his opinions all agreeable after trying out headphones he has reviewed, so people shouldn't put so much weight on a single reviewer including Tyll, but look into many more trust worthy sources(that provides honest opinions) that meets a consensus. I find all his articles on technicalities/science of the sound very informative, but his taste in sound will not always align with all audiences. I respect his approach to reviews, sometimes brute honesty(which I respect in people that take this approach). No matter I agree with him or not, he provides his opinion. Or people that tries hard to be impartial.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 30
Not everything is a conspiracy.
He laid it all out and it makes sense. Could events have accelerated his move? Sure. However as he stated, he was doing it anyway and things were finished faster than he expected. He seemed sad on the video, but it wasn't regretful.
You don't do something you love for 25 years and not feel a pang when it ends. He said his hearing is going out and he doesn't feel he can do justice to the work. This, combined with his wanting to do other things makes this completely logical.
Not everything is a conspiracy.

Bye Tyll, thank you.

The John Facenda of the headphone industry has left the building.

May 13, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 30
Bye Tyll, thanks for everything, you have placed the foundation that all manufacturers are standing on and we will miss you.

May 13, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 30
It's kind of sad he can't at least listen to most headphones. I figured the community could donate what he'd like but if he's really that screwed on power inside his truck then I'm not sure there is a solution. I wonder what he'll plug the Aeons into. I heard the Clear are not hard to drive either and he might prefer or enjoy a pair, but hey.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 30
It's kind of sad he can't at least listen to most headphones. I figured the community could donate what he'd like but if he's really that screwed on power inside his truck then I'm not sure there is a solution. I wonder what he'll plug the Aeons into. I heard the Clear are not hard to drive either and he might prefer or enjoy a pair, but hey.

It isn't about being screwed, it's about choices. He's choosing to be free of a house and more and more people are doing that.

May 13, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 30
Hmmm.I think he could get what ever cans he wanted, probably at a pretty decent discount considering his contacts.
The video, the impression I got, was that he was moving away from this focus and branching out.
Regarding power, he is putting solar on the roof of his motor home so that will help. There are power banks that can be had cheaply as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back