Two year head-fi hermit needs help!
Jul 16, 2011 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

radlux

Head-Fier
Hi,

I was an active follower of the head-fi community till two years back. I have Shure S530 and Triple Fi 10 universal IEMs and a iBasso D2 portable amp. Since then I have been traveling extensively on photographic assignments to remote locations in Africa, South-East Asia and South America. Life has been wonderfully fulfilling and I have no regrets. However, as a result I have no idea how the world of IEMs have progressed since then.

I have enjoyed my portable gear during my travels so much that I am very keen to know what you guys recommend as a good next step in portable sound quality based on current technology and products. I see custom fit IEMs seem to have become popular but I do not want to go that route since one of the great things has been my ability to share the wonderful sound quality with people I meet during my travels (Carry tons of foam tips so no hygiene issues! :) )

So in short, looking for recommendations on the best universal IEMs for someone currently using Triple Fis and Shure 530. Pricing is unlikely to be an issue if the performance warrants it, though of course high performing but economical would be great but based on my experiences a bit of a unicorn in head-fi land!. Looking forward to all your suggestions and advice.

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Westone 4, sm3, sony ex1000 shure se535 (minor bump to the 530 apparantly) should do the trick.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the recommendations. I'd be very interested if someone who has/had either the TripleFis/SE530 can provide any specific comparisons on how these new IEMs improve the listening experience. I'm very aware of the marginal returns as one goes higher up the chain for sound equipment. Just curious to see whether you guys think the improvements with these IEMs over the ones I have are minor/substantial/mixed ?

Thanks again!

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 8
UM3x, CK100, EX1000, FX700, Westone 4 and SM3.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 8
If you haven't already, I'm sure you'll find all the information you'd ever need if you pay any of the mega threads a visit. Refer to my sig, and don't forget to thank the OP for their immense contributions! Happy listening my friend. :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Shure S530 and Triple Fi 10 are awesome.  

If you aren't <missing anything> when you listen to music and the fit/ergos work for you, maybe you should figure out how to take more music with you!

If there is something you think you would like improved (speed/sound sig), then you should share that.

Best,
C

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys. Those comparative reviews are perfect. Looks like I have some reading to do! I am looking to replace the Shure 530 and the Westone 4 is looking good as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back