Two weeks and six weeks with Infinity Primus 150s
Sep 1, 2005 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Posted these at another forum and nobody seemed to care, so....

About two weeks ago I bought the Infinity Primus 150s, $160 / pair at circuit city, which I just bought for polite living room listening. From about 80 hz to about 4,000 hertz they are, to my ears, stunning. I've added about 3 db treble with my understated living room $100 receiver's tone controls for optimal results. My living room may be a little on the dead side, with carpeting, couches, curtains, etc. The sound is exceptional for my taste, extremely enjoyable. Both the woofer and the tweeter use the patented Infinity metal matrix technology, FWIW. For low volumes, it's nice to perk up the treble a little.

So, my subjective impressions are, bass lines in jazz recordings are remarkably natural and easy to follow. Vocals are remarkably natural. Symphonies and soundtracks sound rich and exciting and vibrant. Highs in my room are a shade subdued, hence, judicious use of the treble control. Everything sounds balanced and nice recordings sound great. The sound is luxurious compared to what I'm used to up here. I should add that they fill the medium-sized room up very well, and the sound is good from many listening angles.

This is not a critical listening room by any stretch. It's the family / living room. The speakers are good enough so that when the family (wife & three young kids) is out or quiet (rare!!!!), the sound is good enough to sit back and listen to music closely and really enjoy it.

The pleasing and natural sound of the Primus 150 midrange down to mid-bass is really something I had to hear to understand. I don't have words for it. It does not scream out to you, and most quickly reveals itself with classical music, acoustic guitars, vocals, etc... The bass is exceptionally clear and natural down to about 80 hertz (judging by following acoustic bass lines in jazz recordings and stereophile's measurements). All this in a 12 1/2 inch tall $160/pr bookshelf speaker. My only reservation is that without a little dash of mid to upper treble added they can be dull with some recordings at low to moderate volumes in my room, and of course you are not going to get bass in the subwoofer range with these.

I am just using an old $100 Technics SA-EX140 100-watts-per-channel two-channel reciever in the living room. The tone controls seemed to go quite well with the Infinities, so I dug out the manual. The tone controls are a bit unusual. They appear to be shelved controls, with maximum effect at 50 hz in the bass and 20 khz in the treble, plus or minus 10 decibles. This appears to be a really nice match for these speakers, as they really don't need any help in the heart of the spectrum. The bass control extends the bass response just a little and the treble control spices them up just a little.

The living room speakers get a ton of use in this house, for TV, DVDs, CDs, ipod, minidiscs, radio, and XMradio. So two weeks means a lot of listening.

I don't have any measurements. Here are some from stereophile along with a review. I take their reviews with a grain of salt, BTW. But the measurements are hard to ignore with these:

Review:
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...ity/index.html

Measurements:
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...ty/index4.html

During my recent auditioning, the best-sounding speakers I ran across for my taste were a pair of $1000 floor-standing Infinity Beta speakers. To my ears, they were the only things that went toe to toe with the mid-bass to midrange of the Primus 150s. Plus the Betas had a more elevated mid-to-upper treble and great bass extension. If I were to buy a new pair of full range speakers I think they would be all I would ever need. In fact, given how much I am enjoying the Primus 150s, it's difficult not to think about moving up the Infinity line for the downstairs. Their professed philosophy on their website is accuracy / neutrality. It seems to pay off.

I did bring home a pair of more expensive and slightly smaller JBL E20s for audition just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The JBLs were an improvement over my old speakers, but the bass was less natural than on the Primus 150s and bass extension was less and the lowest part of the bass was slightly exaggerated in a not so pleasant way (I'm guessing to make up for the lack of extension) and the mids while nice were not quite as magic as those of the Primus 150s.

After a while I hooked up my old pair of Pinnacle AC400s, which the Infinities are replacing, and the impression was, the AC400s sound like dreck compared to the Infinities.

Four weeks later:

It's been six weeks with the Infinity Primus 150s and a cheap subwoofer in my living room now. I actually rearranged the furniture a little to get them right at ear level because I was so pleased with the sound and wanted to optimize them. They look decent too. I've gotten used to listening to them with the treble setting on my receiver at zero. The tonal balance on the Primus 150s is as good as a very fine set of headphones (minus the low bass). As a headphone enthusiast, that's about the finest compliment I could give them. The Stereophile review talking about resolution of inner detail actually makes a valid point. (I am not a fan of Stereophile.) You can pick out the details and craftsmanship of performing artists and recording artists with these speakers in a way that is most unusual. If you are into hearing what a fairly flat set of transducers sounds like, with perhaps slightly rolled-off treble (which perceptual studies show that people tend to prefer), these are quite nice. Although the Stereophile measurements showed them to be quite flat into the extended treble, so maybe my room is just a little on the acoustically flat (as opposed to live) side. Anyway, if you are looking for nice bookshelf speakers of any price and you don't try these, you might be missing out on something special, IMHO. When I close my eyes I can imagine a very expensive set of speakers in front of me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 7
I enjoy the Primus 150's also. I bought them as computer speakers, when I thought my Mission M30s or whatever were lost in the mail. They sounded great and were better than any computer speaker I had heard. I listened to the Polk bookshelf speakers, but I liked the Infinity's more. Then the Missions showed up, so I used the Primus' as surround speakers, since the port was in the front and would not be against a wall. They are a great value. I am glad you are enjoying yours.

Sep 1, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for sharing your impressions over time, Steve. I'm actually looking for a nice bookshelf for my studio apartment right now. I've considered the Infinity's, but haven't heard them yet.

I did listen to a pair of Klipsch Synergy B-2's & B-3's at BB last week, and liked them a lot, to my surprise. To my even greater surprise, I liked the smaller B-2's better. They seemed tighter in the bass & lower mids. Very nice attack on drums, guitars and vocals were very natural, with a front-stage presence. Do speakers have "PRaT"? If so, I"d say the Klipsch's definitely do. Think Grado in a bookshelf speaker. I think with a nice sub, they would really rock even more.

Did you have a chance to audition any of the Klipsch's?

Sep 1, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a Primus 150 in my closet right now, I think its a pretty solid performer in terms of pricing. It has a very good midrange but the highs are so-so. Nevertheless its still a pretty solid performer for the price.

I've been wanting to hear a budget bookshelf competition consisting of
biggrin.gif
:

Onix Rocket RS-150
Primus 150
Athena AS-B1
Klipsch Bookshelf

Sep 1, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 7
My brother has the Klipsch B2.

It's a decent speaker and certainly difficult to outdo at its price range. The Athena B1 are also a good speaker and so is the Primus 150.

Hard to say which is the best of the three without having all three in A/B/C direct comparison.

Sep 1, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 7
The performance standards of inexpensive speakers have risen to a very high level in the last decade or so. Don't let others tell you inexpensive speakers are junk....there are a lot of great performers out there.

Sep 1, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 7
I didn't try any of the Klipsch's. I agree, a sub with these bookshelf speakers really helps, though I enjoy the Primus 150s quite a bit even with the sub turned off. In fact, the tonal balance is so nice without the sub, I get a little paranoid about messing something up when I turn the sub on.

I tend to agree with XxAtolXx that the highs on the Primus 150s are so-so, at least for my taste. In terms of headphones, the tonal balance is more like a Senn HD580 than a Grado SR60. In my room, they seem a few db less than neutral on some recordings, just fine on others. Thus, I tend to turn the treble up 3 db or so for something close to perfection. Other people describe the Primus 150s as "bright" -- so perhaps Infinity hit a good middle ground with these. Subdued to some, too bright for others, perhaps just right for many. The highs are easy to adjust with tone controls; a muddled midrange would be a far more serious problem. Fortunately the Primus 150 midrange is quite good.

I also agree with Soundboy that the performance of bookshelf speakers has really risen to a very high level in the last decade or so. Having done most of my speaker shopping in the 1980s, I was quite pleased as to what you can get now in a bookshelf speaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Thanks for sharing your impressions over time, Steve. I'm actually looking for a nice bookshelf for my studio apartment right now. I've considered the Infinity's, but haven't heard them yet.

I did listen to a pair of Klipsch Synergy B-2's & B-3's at BB last week, and liked them a lot, to my surprise. To my even greater surprise, I liked the smaller B-2's better. They seemed tighter in the bass & lower mids. Very nice attack on drums, guitars and vocals were very natural, with a front-stage presence. Do speakers have "PRaT"? If so, I"d say the Klipsch's definitely do. Think Grado in a bookshelf speaker. I think with a nice sub, they would really rock even more.

Did you have a chance to audition any of the Klipsch's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back