Two Mint Tin Amps head to head, PenguinAmp vs Seaber - good money savers here
Sep 7, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the SF3's are known for lean but accurate and detailed bass (for their price). Would you still recommend the PenguinAmp?

Yes, because I'm also recommending you get some new headphones too
tongue.gif

Seriously though, the CMoy bass boost sounds like more of what you need IF you tend to reach for the bass EQ + didn't or can't drop a lot of scratch on earphones.

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is funny.

I'm neither the McCoy nor the Scottie type, but from what I understand from the paper I received along with my cMoy, the measured output from a non-regulated adapter will be greater than its labeled rating. Quoted from this paper, "Therefore, an unregulated DC adapter may actually supply much more voltage than anticipated and quickly fry your cMoy amplifier."

Thought I should mention that before you expect your cMoyBB to get 18v but instead possibly gets more than 24v. My guess is your 9v AC/DC adapter has a measured output of around 12v, but there's probably no way to know for sure how much an unregulated adapter outputs without using a voltmeter. So I suggest checking with John, aka blackinches, before upping your cMoyBB to 18v.

Allow me to elaborate:

Unregulated power supplies can easily deliver double or more their rated voltage with no load attached (and a cMoy eats so little juice, that it is almost "no" load, even to weaker power supplies). Aside from this danger, unregulated supplies tend to be so noisy that listening should be of little entertainment value.

In short: Unregulated = No go. At least for headphone amps.

Unless the power buffer caps are severly undersized, batteries are the "best" power source for an amplifier. If you want to up the voltage of the amp, I suggest that you just use two batteries in parallel.

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allow me to elaborate:

Unregulated power supplies can easily deliver double or more their rated voltage with no load attached (and a cMoy eats so little juice, that it is almost "no" load, even to weaker power supplies). Aside from this danger, unregulated supplies tend to be so noisy that listening should be of little entertainment value.

In short: Unregulated = No go. At least for headphone amps.

Unless the power buffer caps are severly undersized, batteries are the "best" power source for an amplifier. If you want to up the voltage of the amp, I suggest that you just use two batteries in parallel.

The advise by Ikon quoted above seems good to me. But couldn't one use a voltmeter to check the output of an unregulated AC/DC adapter to ensure compatibility, and if so how would this be done?

The unregulated adapter mentioned in the paper I received with my cMoyBB recommends optional use of the following unregulated AC/DC adapter: Phillips 1.5-12 volt/300mA +12 Plugs for $9.96 at Wal-Mart. Also noted, "Model # PH2061W. Includes the necessary 2.5mm submini plug. Not regulated, but operates safely at ~17V when set to 12V and is therefore an excellent option."

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

The advise by Ikon quoted above seems good to me. But couldn't one use a voltmeter to check the output of an unregulated AC/DC adapter to ensure compatibility, and if so how would this be done?

The unregulated adapter mentioned in the paper I received with my cMoyBB recommends optional use of the following unregulated AC/DC adapter: Phillips 1.5-12 volt/300mA +12 Plugs for $9.96 at Wal-Mart. Also noted, "Model # PH2061W. Includes the necessary 2.5mm submini plug. Not regulated, but operates safely at ~17V when set to 12V and is therefore an excellent option."

Sure, you could check the voltage problem that way, but even still an unregulated supply will generally add an infuriatingly audible low-bass hum to anything it plays. It's just a no-go. You might on the other hand find an even cheaper switching power supply that will add a much faster noise to the signal and still not kill you on the voltage. If you do your research, you can find a switcher that works at a frequency well above human hearing, and you'll never hear the noise it's adding to your signal at all. Tangent writes about it in his notes on power sources.

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, you could check the voltage problem that way, but even still an unregulated supply will generally add an infuriatingly audible low-bass hum to anything it plays. It's just a no-go. You might on the other hand find an even cheaper switching power supply that will add a much faster noise to the signal and still not kill you on the voltage. If you do your research, you can find a switcher that works at a frequency well above human hearing, and you'll never hear the noise it's adding to your signal at all. Tangent writes about it in his notes on power sources.

I officially became all researched out since my last post and resigned myself to buying the $10 unregulated 12v AC/DC adapter from Wal-Mart that's suggested in the paper that came with my cMoyBB. However, I have not purchased it yet so I am currently open to buying a better "buy and plug in" solution if sourced and linked for me at a can't beat this price. Thanks

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #21 of 26
@1Time
Unfortunately, I don't have any other recommendations for you other than to use batteries. Regulated wall warts tend to be rather overpriced given the fact that common voltage regulator chips only cost around 20 cents. Perhaps this helps just a little.

Since my first amp was a cmoy with an unregulated 15V supply, I feel the need to explain my observations:

- there is audible noise/hiss (line noise)
- there is audible humming at 100/120hz as facelvega mentioned (this is ripple caused by the rectifiers)
- there can be rather loud pops/clicks when other electrical appliances in your house are switched on or off (my fridge used to really bug me these days
biggrin.gif
)

The only things you can do to minimize these disturbances are:

- to use high-impedance cans (higher impedance -> more dampening)
- to use a low gain in your amp (on many amps you can't change the gain without soldering, so this is more for DIYers)

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #22 of 26
If you are looking for an regulated wall transformer type power supply then go to Jameco.com. They have a lot of them in different voltage and amperage output. They cost about $15 or a little more, but they last "forever."

Just be sure you have chosen the proper connector size (2.1 or 2.5 mm.) and that the center pin is +. Verify all this with the instructions with your amp before making your selection.

These are what I use and they work great and are silent.

F

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Well,

I have stayed with the 9v power supply that I listed, that way I know I am safe if it hits double. But, I am only going to use it to charge the PenguinAmps "Royal" 9v battery after my four-pack of 250maH 9v NiMH batteries arrive. I'll charge all 4 batteries in the Penguin, then use the full ones in both amps till they need to be charged again.

I have run the Penguin on it's first Alkaline battery for about 75 hours total, and after about 5 hours straight tonight it acted like the battery was starting to get low (dim LED confirmed it). I gave it an hour of rest, and the battery seems to have recovered some. But, I have the amp off and will test the battery tomorrow when I have time.

The Penguin has actually become my #1 amp for wandering around the house with music while my D1 burns in (275/400 hours), sitting in the kitchen with music, or while surfing the web. It is easily velcroed to my iPod 80gb 5.5g, and is light and powerful, with wonderfull sound via my ALO CRYO-DOCK. The D1 will be my bedside amp, with the optical out from my Sony pcdp or iRiver H140 and H120.

I have relegated the CMoy bass boost to my electric guitar for the moment, while the Tomahawk and 8gb Nano with ZY dock line-out is my travel rig.

I will be testing and reporting on the Penguin "Caffeine" amp with bass boost, hopefully by the end of the month. He is building one for me now!

600smile.gif
basshead.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 26
I saw this quote at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3283537

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The V6 is a VERY good amp. But it felt more like a volume attenuator (an amp in true sense I guess) rather than adding anything to the music. Some people prefer that, but I personally prefer the amp to add alot of punch....but that's just my preference. The GV6 is very neutral...

I have to dig this back up because that's a profound statement above. I was trying to think of a way to describe the PenguinAmps "Royal" with 8397 opamp, nichicon caps and dual rail splitters. The PenguinAmp "Royal" does BOTH - it is a neutral volume attenuator in all areas except with some added balls in the bass as it continues to burn-in.

I have about 250 of the 400-600 hours these caps need to burn in, and the bass is filling in nicely since after about 150 hours. As an added plus, these drive my SE500's and HD600's equally well !! It is actually getting more use than my 750 hour Tomahawk while I am burning it in and waiting for the PenguinAmp "Caffeine" to arrive for testing by the end of the month.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 26
I tested the PenguinAmp Caffeine that I mentioned above, it is a wonderful amp - see my review here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-lyrix-262751/

I've also been testing (as part of my test of their USB DAC) the newer Lyrix Pro "Total" version which is from the commercial line - it holds up very well to the Meier Headsix and RSA Tomahawk:

REVIEW: Headstage USB DAC Also Reviewed Meier HEADSIX, iBasso D1 and Headstage Lyrix - Page 6 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back