Two in one: Sony PMP/Earphone hybrid..
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

David58117

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody have these?  I just picked up a pair and have been pretty impressed by them.  They're sweat proof, water resistant, stores 2gigs, battery is about 6-8 hours but have a "quick charge" feature where a 3 min charge gets you 90 minutes of use.      

Obviously not audiophile quality, but perfect for working out in.  And they're only $60.  

Lots of positives about them, however I'm having an issue where the left side pops out and requires an adjustment maybe every 15-20 minutes or so.  I found some of my old Bose IE2 eartips with wings and so far they seem to be staying in place, but I'll have to do the running test with them later.  

I also ordered some complies.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
Anybody have these?  I just picked up a pair and have been pretty impressed by them.  They're sweat proof, water resistant, stores 2gigs, battery is about 6-8 hours but have a "quick charge" feature where a 3 min charge gets you 90 minutes of use.      

Obviously not audiophile quality, but perfect for working out in.  And they're only $60.  

Lots of positives about them, however I'm having an issue where the left side pops out and requires an adjustment maybe every 15-20 minutes or so.  I found some of my old Bose IE2 eartips with wings and so far they seem to be staying in place, but I'll have to do the running test with them later.  

I also ordered some complies.

a quick charge.....im not an expert on batteries but doesn't doing a higher rate charge...lessen the battery life/cycle? kinda like binge eating.

what files do they support? how do you control volume and change song?

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
a quick charge.....im not an expert on batteries but doesn't doing a higher rate charge...lessen the battery life/cycle? kinda like binge eating.

what files do they support? how do you control volume and change song?

Could be, but it's more of a niche product and not something I plan to still be going in 5-10 years. I suspect probably a 2 year life cycle before it goes out and I invest in another one.  However, considering you're getting a cordless, water resistant, sweat proof MP3 player to bond with on those long workout days/yard work - and It's only $60 - it's a bargain!  

Having to whip out your PMP or re-clip/worry about the cable of headphones gets old.  

According to the box it supports: MP3, WMA, unsecured AAC, Linear PCM Audio Files 

There's an on/off slider on the side that faces you, while the rest are on the bottom:

Here's a guy with them on:  

Oh, another downside is there's no fast forward button.  

It's the Sony NWZ-W262 btw.. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Could be, but it's more of a niche product and not something I plan to still be going in 5-10 years. I suspect probably a 2 year life cycle before it goes out and I invest in another one.  However, considering you're getting a cordless, water resistant, sweat proof MP3 player to bond with on those long workout days/yard work - and It's only $60 - it's a bargain!  

Having to whip out your PMP or re-clip/worry about the cable of headphones gets old.  

According to the box it supports: MP3, WMA, unsecured AAC, Linear PCM Audio Files 

There's an on/off slider on the side that faces you, while the rest are on the bottom:

Here's a guy with them on:  

Oh, another downside is there's no fast forward button.  

It's the Sony NWZ-W262 btw.. 

wow those are huge after seeing the bottom pic 
basshead.gif

hmm i guess it could work. from what i see on that list. i would choose MP3 as my format of use for these if i got them

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 17
Feb 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 17
Feb 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 17
I made my own substitute for this. I took a very compact headphone, and clipped a Clip+ player to the headphone band, and wrapped the extra cord around the headphone band.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
They're not comfortable at all IMO. They keep juggling up and down my ears when I'm running with them.

The newer Sony version in the picture?  

For me with the stock tips the left ear would wiggle free every 20 minutes or so while running.  I've been experimenting with different tips/wearing methods and have gotten better results.  I've ordered some complys after an amazon reviewer mentioned them working significantly better, so hopefully those terminate the problem.  

Another reviewer mentioned a headband tension mod which he said kept them in tightly and greatly improved the product.  

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
The newer Sony version in the picture?  

For me with the stock tips the left ear would wiggle free every 20 minutes or so while running.  I've been experimenting with different tips/wearing methods and have gotten better results.  I've ordered some complys after an amazon reviewer mentioned them working significantly better, so hopefully those terminate the problem.  

Another reviewer mentioned a headband tension mod which he said kept them in tightly and greatly improved the product.  

No, but the structure looks exactly the same and I did use Comply for them.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

No, but the structure looks exactly the same and I did use Comply for them.

Oh...well, they're different products.  

Different weights, different housings (even if minor), different cable material/tensions, different angle of bore, different dimensions, different set on the ear, etc etc etc.  

I haven't seen any other ones that are a clone of the Sonys.  

Problems people seem to be having with them are that they may loosen out of your ear after awhile of jogging, I haven't read anywhere of them continually juggling up and down.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just it sounds like a different product.  

Which in fact you admit it was.  

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 17
I've been using the W262 and I haven't had any issues with using it while running. They are built with a one size fits all approach though, so it's definitely not going to work perfectly for everyone.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 17
I now use the Sennheiser PMX680 which is really really comfortable and super lightweight. No juggles at all whether you're running or jumping. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I now use the Sennheiser PMX680 which is really really comfortable and super lightweight. No juggles at all whether you're running or jumping. 

Those are wired though.  

I use to use Portapros and then Bose IE2 (stayed in great, and allowed you to hear traffic etc clearly), but got sick of the wires/dealing with a PMP.  

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Sony had some similar models a few years back.
Koss had a ugly full-sized version too.

I have also adapted two headphones (Creative Aurvana Lives and V-MODA V80s) to take Sansa Clip on their headbands. I have ran with these headphones; they would stay on as long as you are not dashing with a speed for your 100 meters.

See this post for photos and details:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589320/wireless-headphone-with-integrated-mp3-player-w-pic-for-diy#post_8100838

Quote:
I made my own substitute for this. I took a very compact headphone, and clipped a Clip+ player to the headphone band, and wrapped the extra cord around the headphone band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back