Two Classical music questions: Beethoven and Stravinsky recommendations
May 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi'ers! I again turn to the magical collective brain that is head-fi for help selecting my next classical music purchases. I have spent a lot of time researching what pieces I want to buy, now I have to select the performance. I have had great success in posing this exact question previously.

1) I already own a performance of the Apollo ballet (the Moscow one), which I admit is not the logical place to start with Stravinsky, but has encouraged me to now look deeper into the composure. I'm interested in either either his Firebird Suite or Rites of Spring. I am familiar with the main editions of each work.
2) Beethoven's Piano trios. I guess the obvious choice here would be to start at a performance of the Archduke trios. But I also loved Beaux Arts Trio Brahms' Piano Trios and am oddly drawn to their Beethoven cycle as well.

Only one criteria: has to be available on Amazon.ca. (I'm putting together a big order.)

May 19, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 14
Don't know about the Beethoven, but the Stravinsky: For Rite, my easy recommendation is the utterly stunning Gergiev on Philips. It's really savage and earthy -- exactly what it should be. For Firebird suite, I keep going back to Robert Shaw and Atlanta on Telarc. Great playing, beautifully nuanced, and the unbeatable Telarc sound (what a bass drum!). For the whole ballet, Dorati on Mercury. Yes, the sound is 50 years old, but jeez it's exciting!

May 19, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm not up on the various recordings, but you have to get a copy of the Firebird Suite. I had a band instructor about 20 years ago who was just obsessed with it. So I bought a copy and loved it, too. Definitely pick it up.

May 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 14
To supplement the Beaux Arts Trio on modern instruments try the recordings by the Florestan Trio, which are excellent. They have recorded all of Beethoven's music for piano trio and the 4 volumes were at one time available at the BMG music clubs (YourMusic.com and BMGMusic.com). Volumes may still be available there. The Kempf Trio (led by Freddy Kempf) has a wonderful recording of the Archduke in SACD/hybrid as well.

For period instrument performance, L'Archibudelli (Vera Beths, Jos van Immerseel, and Anner Bijlsma -- wrongly spelled Bylsma) has a recording of both the Archduke and Ghost Trios which is pretty much the reference for period instrument performance.

41TV2H4746L._SS400_.jpg
61DHJKV14EL._SS500_.jpg
51YN57JY8GL._SS500_.jpg

May 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 14
The Beethoven Florestan isn't available on amazon.ca for some reason else that would be my choice. I'll go with the Kempf but I must digress: why pick a period performace over a modern one? It's a factor that rarely raises to the level of consciousness with me but I know it's a serious factor for other classical music lovers.

May 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beethoven Florestan isn't available on amazon.ca for some reason else that would be my choice.

The Florestan Trio's Beethoven is available at Amazon Canada, it's just listed eccentricly. Here's a link.
smily_headphones1.gif

To find the other volumes of the set, just locate them on Amazon, get the amazon id no. which is the "ASIN" (for vol. 1 it is B00007FKRF) and put that in the search box at amazon canada. It will bring up the page with the recording. For some reason, Amazon Canada calls it the V1 Comp Music for Pno Trio with no mention of composer or artist.

Quote:

I'll go with the Kempf but I must digress: why pick a period performace over a modern one? It's a factor that rarely raises to the level of consciousness with me but I know it's a serious factor for other classical music lovers.

The question of period instrument performance vs. modern instrument performance of classical works is for me a matter of taste. I find that there are things to admire in both practices. However, I know many who don't care for one or the other and stick either with period instrument or modern instrument.

Nowadays performance on modern instruments is very much influenced by the research done by the period instrument enthusiasts: the HIP crowd. You probably won't know that in the last 20 or 30 years the performance of Beethoven has shifted radically from slower tempos designed to showcase the more romantic aspects of Beethoven's works to swifter tempos in keeping with Beethoven's metronome markings. For years it was believed that the metronome markings on Beethoven's manuscripts were incorrect because his nephew Carl van Beethoven whom he made his amanuensis, misread the metronomes of the time, putting a faster marking than the composer actually intended. Historic research has busted this myth and we now know that Beethoven's works in his lifetime were performed at far swifter tempos than had become customary during the last part of the 19th century and first parts of the 20th century. Similarly, phrasings also shifted subtly and the music became more classical sounding in performance and less romantic. The world had to learn a new expressive vocabulary for HIP Beethoven. Nowadays, period instrument performance is important because the pianos and violins of Beethoven's time had slightly different timbres as well as less dynamic range. Thus the balance between the instruments as Beethoven would have known them had changed dramatically. One shift in string playing (violins, violas, cellos, double-basses, etc) was the movement under the influence of Jascha Heifetz to a more liberal use of vibrato on these instruments and the complete absence of portamento. By the early 20th century, most string players were also shifting from the use of gut strings to the now universal steel strings for these instruments. There were numerous advantages to the use of steel: for one thing, they stayed in tune over longer stretches of time which is why musicians don't have to retune their instruments during performances as was common with gut strings. Another advantage, especially for romantic music was the increased volume and rounder timbre of the steel strings. Gut strings have a famously nasal sound, which many find jarring when played without vibrato. However, it should be noted that although Heifetz championed the almost continuous use of vibrato in his playing (and the absence of portamenti), he never adopted steel strings which is why his sound was "smaller" than other violinists of his era and his sound was sometimes criticized as "shrill" or "whiney."

So, we get back to the question of why anyone would want a period instrument recording of Beethoven, and the answer is that it sounds very, very differently from the modern instrument performance. A fortepiano sounds markedly different from a modern concert grand: sound is warmer, more muted and with less dynamic range. Thus the balance between the 3 instruments is different, and the performance has to take this into account. Nowadays musicians play pianissimos much more softly and fortissimos much more loudly than was customary in Beethoven's day. It makes the performance more varied and shaded, but it is a slight distortion of what Beethoven would have been familiar with.

For my money, if the artists are great it doesn't matter whether they use period instruments or modern instruments: a score is like the outline and detailed instructions as to colors for a great painting. The artists will have to make it their own by deciding just how vibrant the red is, or how soft the yellow. He will stretch tempos (color outside the lines) or contract them (stay well within the lines) so that each time the work sounds new and fresh. It's good to hear something that lets you understand how the composer would have heard these works, but it's also good to know how their performance practices have evolved over time.

Note: Modern violinists no longer use portamenti, which was a technique of sliding from one note to the next along the neck of the violin so that the space between the two notes was blurred. If you want to hear how portamenti sound when used, try to find a recording of music by Mantovanni, whose orchestra strings cultivated the sound of the portamento. Even his brass used a version of portamento, so you will hear a lot of sliding from pitch to pitch. Most modern string players consider the portamento to be in poor taste, and its use a mask for intonation problems.

May 20, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Run, do not walk, to amazon.co.uk and pick up Sony's 22CD Stravinsky box set for 18 GBP. This is a stupidly cheaper price than in any other country and shipping is not excessive - it was like 33USD total for me, shipped to Texas! These are typically not the most authoritative recordings out there - although that statement has to be tempered by the fact that Stravinsky himself conducted most of these. But at this price I don't think it matters. The same music sold for closer to $400 18 years ago.

Works of Igor Stravinsky [Box Set]: Donald Gramm, Howard Chitjian, John Reardon, Mac Morgan, Richard Frisch, William Murphy, Carl Kaiser, Chester Watson, Don Garrard, Herbert Beattie, Kenneth Smith, Peter Tracey, Richard Kelly, Robert Oliver, Don Chr

May 21, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 14
I like the DGG issue of Rite of Spring by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Not ultimately chthonic, but instead big and sonorous. Great SQ on the recording also.

For Beethoven, you might be interested in the Diabelli Variations. Alfred Brendel has a recording on Phillips. I also very much like Brendel's recording (with his son Adrian) of the complete piano/cello works by Beethoven.

May 21, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 14
And if you liked Apollo -- and who wouldn't? -- then I think you'd be keen on "The Fairy's Kiss" as well. I loved that and remember fondly many afternoons going to the school library's "music listening room" and listening to the LP.

May 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 14
I can't make a good recomendation for the piano trios, but for the Stravinsky's I would go with Riccardo Chailly and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra on Decca. I think there is mid-price 2 disc set these days with the main ballets on there. The sound is terrific and the performances are first class.

May 22, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Be sure to check out the Reference Recordings release of The Rite of Spring, The Firebird Suite andThe Song of the Nightingale by the Minnesota Orchestra. It is most definitely a reference level recording and great performance. Click on the following link and scroll down to the bottom of the page- Minnesota Orchestra Recordings by Reference Recordings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back