Two-cent tweak for K501--sweeter and punchier
Jan 1, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #31 of 42
Ferbose, you're too kind, man! My review is almost a joke compared to, let's say, Darth Nut's two reviews of Stax Omega II. Those are really stunning!! But thanks a lot, I appreciate it even if I don't deserve it!
Talking about reviews - and still remaining a bit off topic - could you please, pretty pretty pleease, write a detailed review of the Benchmark Dac1 / AKG K501 combo and post it as a separate thread? I'm VERY interested!

Nice efforts, Nak Man. Thanks for sharing!

A Happy New Year to all of you!

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte
Could you please, pretty pretty pleease, write a detailed review of the Benchmark Dac1 / AKG K501 combo and post it as a separate thread? I'm VERY interested!

Although I enjoy the combination of DAC1 and K501 very much. I don't have another set of good amp/good cans to compare them to. Of I get a K1000 and use my Sonic Impact T-amp to drive it, maybe I could do a more meaningful comparison.

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I have been using K501 with solid state gear all along. You see K501 can be detailed and a tiny bit bright compared to absolute neutrality, and solid state is the same. Though brightness and detail are not bad things, coupled with overly bright digital recordings things can be a tad harsh or thin. Good DAC can eliminate much of the digital harshness, though, as I learned after getting Benchmark DAC1. I would not call K501 sharp or edgy, though, it is probably some digital recordings that can be sharp/edgy. If I use K501 with tube amp, things probably will be softened.

I bought an Audio Valve RKV MKII last month and I can confirm a good quality tube amp will really improve the sound of the K501. There is no more issue with bass and highs. I have also decided to upgrade my CD player to a tube CD player (synthesis pride). I will be receiving it on monday...

By the way, the scotch tape did nothing for me.

Jan 2, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #34 of 42
Although less permanent, and not always an option, couldn't you skip the tape and just use an equalizer?

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoodge
everyone put on your tinfoil hat, otherwise the aliens will read our thoughts...

Tinfoil1.jpg

blink.gif

If you don't have anything constructive to add...

Wise guy you are

Jan 10, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #36 of 42
I have tweaked the tape postions some more.
And now I like this configuration best:

K501+tape.jpg

Compared to my previous poosted photo, notice the tape in the center does not extend as far down in this new photo. This way, I hear significantly more bass impact.

Comparing this new configuration with untaped K501, the tapes gives K501 more bass impact, makes the sound a bit mellower and darker, and increases the sense of rythm and tempo. With certain recordings, K501 can sound a little bright, lightweight and bass-deficient. The tapes improve K501 in all these regards, and takes it to a higher level. After several weeks of experimentation, I have no doubt that tape can change the sound of K501. But the optimal position of the tape probably depends on your source, amp and listening preference. Although the tape enhances bass impact of K501, I still feel some deficiency in the lowest bass octave in comparison to HD580.

Jan 10, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #37 of 42
Ferbose
Where did you get the stand for the 501s, as shown in the pic?

Jan 10, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
Where did you get the stand for the 501s, as shown in the pic?

It is a $10 banana stand from Ross--Dress for Less.

Jan 10, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #39 of 42
Ferbose, I'd like to thank you once again for encouraging this reversible tape method, a very practical tweak ! Amazing how such 'simple' tuning can shift overall sound balance. I tamed part of hardness - brightness away from my Quart phones by covering the few center holes directly in front of driver ... now they sound more acceptable.
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #40 of 42
Good tweak this Ferbose! Subtle but effective yet very worthwhile. You'll be pleased to know people are still trying it a few years after your initial findings.

With regard to the K501 lack of bass, I've only had the headphones for a week, it seems to me any bass enhancement tweaks, such as tape around the cushions, have detrimental effects on the 'phones sonic signature elsewhere in the frequency range.

More bass equals less magic.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to see some serious tweaking going on.

Myself, I have been thinking of making the front part of the pad thinner while the back part (which surrounds the rear of my ears) stays the same. This would tend to angle the drivers more so that there is more cross feed in the center. I may try it some day.

. . . like the K701 pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back