Two-cent tweak for K501--sweeter and punchier
Dec 21, 2004 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I got my Benchmark DAC1 to drive my AKG K501, I have been extremely happy about listening to violin recordings in bed. Somehow violin just sound more like violins when I use K501 in bed (years of childhood violin lessons makes me sensitive to the violin sound). Since K501 is of total open design, it occured to me that absorption or reflection caused by the pillow may account for this change. I decided to experiment with partially blocking those holes in the K501 ear cup. Not having too many materials or tools in hand, I decided to use 3/4 inch Scotch magic tape to cover those holes.

Initial experiments quickly revealed that the tape position can definitely alter the sound signature of K501. After many experimentations, I found a tape configuration that appears to improve some sonic qualities of K501 without degrading others. Here is a photo of my favorite tape configuration:

Taped%20K501.jpg

It is just two pieces of Scotch tape for each ear cup: one in the middle and one in the rear.
So what does this modification do sonically?

In a nutshell, these tapes make the transient response better on K501 across the frequency sprectrum. It does not affect bass extension, but there is more impact due to stronger transients and makes the bass tighter and punchier. In the mids and highs, the edge of the sound is more resolved. Although K501 sounds neutral and detailed, the tapes make it even more so, to a level I never thought possible. Compared to tweaked K501, I discovered that untweaked K501 is slightly blurred in the mids and has a bit of ringing in the highs. These first effect makes K501 sound thin and the latter makes it a tad too bright. Please take note, all the effects I am discussing here are very subtle. I mean K501 is somtimes a tad thin and bright, and the tweak takes that tad away. The final effect is a fuller and warmer sound, making K501 even more neutral, IMO. The punchier bass, fuller and warmer sound did not come at the expense of details or imaging. I found that some tape configurations can increase bass extension of K501, but at the price of muffling the highs and compressing soundstage, which is undesirable.

Those who love K501 sound often praise its soundstage, detail and neutrality. Those who appreciate K501 less often point out that it lacks bass volume in the lowest octave and may sound too thin or bright for their taste. I agree with both camps. For the most part I enjoy K501, but I aspire for more bass quantity at times (bass quality is just fine). Also, K501 does appear on the brighter and thinner side of neutrality, as I compare violin sound on K501 to live concerts (about 10 times per year for me). 95% of the times I enjoy the tonal quality of K501, but with untweaked K501 I knew it is not perfect.

As for tape-tweaked K501. It does not have more volume or quantity in low bass. But bass transients are more pronounced and I can hear more of a kick. This may also be due to a slight increase of frequency response in mid-upper bass, but I have no way of verifying. Anyway, perceived bass response of K501 does improve. It is subtle but significant. With the tape tweak, I think K501 is still imperfect in the low bass category, but the flaw is less obvious and often can be forgotten or forgiven. Yes, stop worrying about that bass and bring on the mids and highs. The tape tweak helps me get into that state of mind.

As for mids and highs, I already explained that tape tweak makes K501 a tad warmer and fuller. This is difference is quite subtle, but the final result is quite stunning. This may sound contradictory, but let me explain this firther and please bear with me.

My ultimate test for headphone tonality is how well they reproduce good recordings of good violins (Stradivari and Guarneri). Since I played violin as a child and still attend many classical concerts (>10 per year), I am quite familiar with what violins sound like. I have listened to Stradivari and Guaneri violins about ten times in last three years. And I can say that, with the tape tweak, Stradivari and Guaneri violins sometimes sound just as good on my headphone system as they do in concert. Before you jump to the conclusion that I am just spitting out egomaniac audiophile BS, let me explain why I dare make such a claim. You see, I cannot afford the best seats in concerts. My seat is never sonically ideal and always too far away to hear the inner details. Violin is not that loud, and there is always background noise in concert. What I hear in concert is far from ideal. On the other hand, in my entire violin collection (>50), only one recording makes great violins sound like great violins (Tacet #36: What about this, Mr. Paganini? Violins of Amati, Guadagnini, Guarneri, Horvarth, Stradivari, Vuillaume). So, compared to a non-ideal seat in concert, great violins sound just as good on my Benchmark DAC1+taped K501, when the recording quality is "A+." If the recording quality is just "A," or if the concert seat is better, my headphone system can't compete--fair enough, isn't it?

Using the live performance of great instruments as a standard, I am very satisfied with the performance of my tape-tweaked K501. Of course, K501 is not perfect (pianos don't sound like pianos on my k501 and I think it is mainly becuase piano does not resemble a point source of sound at all). But I amalready flabbergasted by the tonal accuracy of it. The tapes, which literally cost only two cents, take me to a sonic level I could have only dreamed of. I highly recommend K501 owners try this at home, becuase it is simple, inexpensive and reversible. There is nothing to lose. Since everyone hears differently, my favorite tape configuration may not be optimal for everyone. Two cents of my opinions and tapes may or may not work for you
eggosmile.gif

I would love to hear if this tape tweak works for other K501 owners out there, and if there are other cheap, reversible tweaks for K501 that I can try.

Happy listening and tweaking
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 42
everyone put on your tinfoil hat, otherwise the aliens will read our thoughts...

Tinfoil1.jpg

blink.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoodge
everyone put on your tinfoil hat, otherwise the aliens will read our thoughts...

Tinfoil1.jpg

blink.gif

I don't know how to interprete this post.
Are you suggesting that changing the degree of openness of a open headphone doesn't change the tonal balance and that ferbose when he claims hearing a difference is a victim of autohypnotic illusion ?
Simply put your fingers onto the grills of your HD 600, and you will hear a difference.
Another question is if the difference is desirable, but at least tape is the cheapest "snake oil" you can get, others are paying hundreds for cables in order to get a similar subtle change.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
It is just two pieces of Scotch tape for each ear cup: one in the middle and one in the rear.

Thanks Ferbose ... excellent tweak idea ! Will try it soon. BTW did you also notice some sharp / edgy high on 501 previously ?

I just got back my 501 to try the bass pads tweak and it's a perfect time for this tape. Not sure I have the same good hearing as yours but would like to hear overall effect of that tape. I just read that adding supertweeters to thin sounding speakers have had the effect of making mid / bass sound subjectively fuller - backed with theoretical harmonics explanations. So much for controversial idea ...

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I just got back my 501 to try the bass pads tweak..

i'm sorry, did i miss this 'bass pads' tweak somewhere? not meaning to OT, but please, do share!
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 42
That's an interesting idea, actually... I'll have to break out the 580's tonight and see what happens.

Just don't let this get into Peter Belt's hands, or we'll soon see a $125 set of 'Rainbow Tape Sonic Aura Equalizers' with "x26x OK" written on them...
blink.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

I just read that adding supertweeters to thin sounding speakers have had the effect of making mid / bass sound subjectively fuller - backed with theoretical harmonics explanations. So much for controversial idea ...

Interesting...
When I listen to SACD I often feel the bass is stronger compared to the CD layer. But I thought sampling to 50 kHz should not affect 50 Hz signals. Maybe the supertweeter thing can explain my observation.

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Thanks Ferbose ... excellent tweak idea ! Will try it soon. BTW did you also notice some sharp / edgy high on 501 previously ?

I have been using K501 with solid state gear all along. You see K501 can be detailed and a tiny bit bright compared to absolute neutrality, and solid state is the same. Though brightness and detail are not bad things, coupled with overly bright digital recordings things can be a tad harsh or thin. Good DAC can eliminate much of the digital harshness, though, as I learned after getting Benchmark DAC1. I would not call K501 sharp or edgy, though, it is probably some digital recordings that can be sharp/edgy. If I use K501 with tube amp, things probably will be softened.

After using the tape, I actually find that high freqeuncy sounds have more resolved and smoother edges. Untweaked K501 seems to have a little bit of ringing at the edge of notes that makes it brighter. While both sound equally detailed, after the tape tweak the high frequency sounds seem to carry more information around the edges. Hi-frequency ringing seems to produce an artificial feeling of details but some information is actually lost. This bit of added refinement (tape tweak) greatly contributes to the reproduction of believable violin notes, to my ears at least.

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
(pianos don't sound like pianos on my k501

Hmm. They(pianos) sound just fine on my K501 headphones. Just give those earpads a good boiling & smashing to fix this *problem*.
cool.gif

-Chris

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
I don't know how to interprete this post.
Are you suggesting that changing the degree of openness of a open headphone doesn't change the tonal balance and that ferbose when he claims hearing a difference is a victim of autohypnotic illusion ?
Simply put your fingers onto the grills of your HD 600, and you will hear a difference.
Another question is if the difference is desirable, but at least tape is the cheapest "snake oil" you can get, others are paying hundreds for cables in order to get a similar subtle change.
biggrin.gif

Only if someone starts making "audiophile" grade tape.
You know the green kind that takes away that "digital" sound out of recordings.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 42
aren't you scared that the sticky tape will leave nastiness on your cups?

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 42
I'm glad to see some serious tweaking going on.

Myself, I have been thinking of making the front part of the pad thinner while the back part (which surrounds the rear of my ears) stays the same. This would tend to angle the drivers more so that there is more cross feed in the center. I may try it some day.

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
aren't you scared that the sticky tape will leave nastiness on your cups?

3M Scotch Magic tape usually does not leave behind sticky residues (the semi-clear type that you can write on, usually comes in gree packages).
I think most people have had pleasant experience with this type of tape in daily living.
So far I have played with many different tape positions and did not notice any stickyness on the plastic.
If I leave the tape on for more than six months, I guess it may start to leave some sticky residues.

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 42
Actually the K501’s can use a bit of damping, just enough to control any unwanted vibrations from the plastic housing which set up micro vibrations which get added to the higher frequencies adding distortion to the original sound.
One tweak I’ve done is using a thin wool felt ring ( 1/16th inch thick), the inner diameter is slightly larger than the driver but less than a quarter inch wide to fit nicely just inside the plastic of the ear pad, I’ve placed the felt between the mesh of the ear pad and driver baffle which helps damp any vibrations from the baffle mixing with the direct sound of the drivers.

Also I’ve experimented with different amounts of wool felt in the actually housing behind the drivers, too much and you will change the character of the K501’s, collapsing the sound stage but increasing the isolation, but just the right amount to control any micro-vibrations and the K501’s take on a more sophisticated stature.
Make sure you use REAL WOOL and not a polyester based material. Wool is the best for absorbing vibrations which is then dispersed as heat, (on a small scale of course.)
Also I believe Pinkfloyd posted a thread quite awhile back on damping his K501's with bluetak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back