Twister6 Audio REVIEW index - the past, the present, and the future
Mar 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #242 of 362
Mar 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #243 of 362
Mar 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #244 of 362
Updated with a review of oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid: http://www.head-fi.org/products/obravo-erib-1c-2way-planar-magnetic-hybrid/reviews/18269

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #245 of 362
Apr 9, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #247 of 362
  Thanks for all your hardwork. Really appreciate and I enjoy reading your reviews. If I may ask, what is your top 3 IEM in this list.

Thank you for the kind words!  The list varies and will be hard to narrow down to just 3.  If you look at my signature, I usually list in there my current favorites.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #248 of 362
@twister6

Hey, twister! I was hoping I could ask for a direct comparison between the Oppo PM-3 and the M70x. I've searched the internet high and low and can find zero direct comparison between the two. As you've heard both, I was hoping you might be able to lend some advice to my situation...

I'll be using these for professional gaming, therefore require a closed headphone for noisy LAN tournaments (and a noisy NYC apartment) as well as neutrality (a common misconception is that competitive headphones should be bass light, when actually a lot of the import positional cues in FPS games, such as footsteps, reside in the lower frequencies as well). So I'm looking for something that is completely uncolored (at least as much as possible for a closed headphone under $400). I'm not concerned with soundstage size whatsoever, as I'll be using HRTF and binaural processing for spatial awareness. Instead, I care more about detail retrieval and imaging. This is what concerns me about the PM-3. Although incredibly neutral, I wonder whether the slight treble roll-off will contain import imaging information, that maybe the M70x won't dismiss. I know the high frequencies in the M70x can be considered harsh by some, but for gaming this *may* not be too much of a concern? I'm honestly not sure. Regardless, if you're able to offer a direct comparison between these two (sound first! but isolation / comfort as well) then I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you in advance - it's much appreciated!

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #249 of 362
  @twister6

Hey, twister! I was hoping I could ask for a direct comparison between the Oppo PM-3 and the M70x. I've searched the internet high and low and can find zero direct comparison between the two. As you've heard both, I was hoping you might be able to lend some advice to my situation...

I'll be using these for professional gaming, therefore require a closed headphone for noisy LAN tournaments (and a noisy NYC apartment) as well as neutrality (a common misconception is that competitive headphones should be bass light, when actually a lot of the import positional cues in FPS games, such as footsteps, reside in the lower frequencies as well). So I'm looking for something that is completely uncolored (at least as much as possible for a closed headphone under $400). I'm not concerned with soundstage size whatsoever, as I'll be using HRTF and binaural processing for spatial awareness. Instead, I care more about detail retrieval and imaging. This is what concerns me about the PM-3. Although incredibly neutral, I wonder whether the slight treble roll-off will contain import imaging information, that maybe the M70x won't dismiss. I know the high frequencies in the M70x can be considered harsh by some, but for gaming this *may* not be too much of a concern? I'm honestly not sure. Regardless, if you're able to offer a direct comparison between these two (sound first! but isolation / comfort as well) then I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you in advance - it's much appreciated!

You might also want to look into Meze 99 Classics 
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #250 of 362
  @twister6

As you can see from my review list, I focus more on IEMs/CIEMs, not as much full size cans, but if given a choice between PM-3 and M70x - I wouldn't even consider M70x.  It's not just neutral it's flat and boring.  It's good as another listening reference when mixing tracks while producing a song, but for what you are looking for it will be just flat.  As a matter of fact, PM-3 might not be good either since it's tuned warmer and smoother and source picky (when it comes to retrieval of details) so you are not going to get the desired layering and separation of sound to get all those intimate details, and as you correctly pointed out - the treble roll off and lack of airiness will stand in the way of that.  If you can try open back headphones, like R70x - you will hear a difference of a neutral natural sound, but that part about noisy NYC apartment might not work well with it.  Maybe try MSR7, I still LOVE it and use quite often with my laptop and usb DAC/amp (Micro iDSD).

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #251 of 362
As you can see from my review list, I focus more on IEMs/CIEMs, not as much full size cans, but if given a choice between PM-3 and M70x - I wouldn't even consider M70x.  It's not just neutral it's flat and boring.  It's good as another listening reference when mixing tracks while producing a song, but for what you are looking for it will be just flat.  As a matter of fact, PM-3 might not be good either since it's tuned warmer and smoother and source picky (when it comes to retrieval of details) so you are not going to get the desired layering and separation of sound to get all those intimate details, and as you correctly pointed out - the treble roll off and lack of airiness will stand in the way of that.  If you can try open back headphones, like R70x - you will hear a difference of a neutral natural sound, but that part about noisy NYC apartment might not work well with it.  Maybe try MSR7, I still LOVE it and use quite often with my laptop and usb DAC/amp (Micro iDSD).

Thank you for the helpful response! I would love to continue using my open headphones, but unfortunately my situation simply doesn't allow for it right now. As far as the M70x being "flat and boring"... isn't that kind of what I'm looking for? I really don't want the sound to be colored, as fine details throughout the entire frequency response are important to me. Ideally, I'm looking for the closed back portable version of an Etymotic ER4. I had considered the MSR7 heavily (as well as the Sony MDR-7520) because I read how those headphones just throw detail at you... but then I got caught up in wanting something ruler flat, in order for each in-game cue to carry equal importance. Maybe I'm missing the mark here, though? I was thinking extreme detail retrieval > soundstage, especially given the use of HRTF / binaural processing.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #252 of 362

Thank you for the helpful response! I would love to continue using my open headphones, but unfortunately my situation simply doesn't allow for it right now. As far as the M70x being "flat and boring"... isn't that kind of what I'm looking for? I really don't want the sound to be colored, as fine details throughout the entire frequency response are important to me. Ideally, I'm looking for the closed back portable version of an Etymotic ER4. I had considered the MSR7 heavily (as well as the Sony MDR-7520) because I read how those headphones just throw detail at you... but then I got caught up in wanting something ruler flat, in order for each in-game cue to carry equal importance. Maybe I'm missing the mark here, though? I was thinking extreme detail retrieval > soundstage, especially given the use of HRTF / binaural processing.

Something tells me you already have your mind set on M70x
wink.gif

Why not buy it on amazon and see if you like it?  For me personally, they wouldn't be the first choice (soundstage is just average, lacks bass, and the comfort is not the same as M50x).  I think in this case you will be the final judge if it fits your needs
biggrin.gif
  Good luck!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #253 of 362
Something tells me you already have your mind set on M70x :wink:

Why not buy it on amazon and see if you like it?  For me personally, they wouldn't be the first choice (soundstage is just average, lacks bass, and the comfort is not the same as M50x).  I think in this case you will be the final judge if it fits your needs :D   Good luck!

Oh no, I genuinely don't have my mind set on anything, haha! I'm sorry if it came across that way. I think more than anything I'm just confused. I want detail retrieval, as well as a flat response, and I just don't know which headphone is offering both of those (MSR7, 7520, M70x, PM-3). The ER4 definitely gives me both, but I'm not looking for an IEM right now! Ahggg... haha.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #254 of 362
Whats your recommendation for a "powerful" portable amp for Onkyo DP-X1 with Oppo PM3? I think the PM3 benefit Significantly with more power. I had the Ifi DSD micro which sounded perfect but thought its always to big.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #255 of 362
Whats your recommendation for a "powerful" portable amp for Onkyo DP-X1 with Oppo PM3? I think the PM3 benefit Significantly with more power. I had the Ifi DSD micro which sounded perfect but thought its always to big.

FiiO A5 is quite powerful and close in transparency to its "brother" E12A.  But as you have seen, I have been avoiding portable amps lately, so don't have as much experience with these.

But when it comes to PM3, I actually made an interesting discovery.  I'm testing now Cayin N3 dap, this little $150 DAP has a very impressive pair up with PM3, probably among the best I heard with these cans.  Now, here is something cool.  You can pair up N3 with your phone or your DP-X1, to use as a bluetooth wireless dongle to stream audio from your source to N3 and control the playback of your source with N3 hw buttons.  Wonder if that could be an option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back