Twisted Pear Opus DAC or Benchmark DAC1?
Nov 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

OverlordXenu

Headphoneus Supremus
I've finally decided to step into the relm of desktop setups, I just can't stand staring at my Sextets and not being able to use them. After I saw the pictures of Brian's Opus DAC, I just couldn't stand it any longer.

Now my first instinct was to get an Opus DAC, as I have been drooling over the idea of one for months, but I was wondering if anyone knew how they compared to the Benchmark DAC1?

I'm pretty much looking for a DAC for around $700. I don't really see any other options besides these two.

Thanks to anyone that can offer up their experiences.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 26
I'm also interested in this question. There haven't been many comparisons of the Opus Dac. If any owners can help us out, it will be much appreciated.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 26
Ori Zhalou

I like mine better than any I have heard previously by a large margin. I have not heard the Opus although fiercefreak has and built an Opus himself to boot.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 26
I'd avoid a majority of the chinese DACs like the Zhalou,citypulse,etc.

VERY bad build quality, they look ok on the outside, but have tons of cold solder joints. Serious reliability issue.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've finally decided to step into the relm of desktop setups, I just can't stand staring at my Sextets and not being able to use them. After I saw the pictures of Brian's Opus DAC, I just couldn't stand it any longer.

Now my first instinct was to get an Opus DAC, as I have been drooling over the idea of one for months, but I was wondering if anyone knew how they compared to the Benchmark DAC1?

I'm pretty much looking for a DAC for around $700. I don't really see any other options besides these two.

i have no experience with the Opus, but he DAC1 is a no brainer. it's a solid pro quality piece, sounds great and their customer service is second to none. paired with the right headphone, the headphone amp is exceptional. although i've not used it as a pre-amp, it offers this too as well, making it a Swiss Army knife-like bargain. but if you need SPDIF, their well built cable with Canare connectors cost a whopping $30.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

PACE

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd avoid a majority of the chinese DACs like the Zhalou,citypulse,etc.

VERY bad build quality, they look ok on the outside, but have tons of cold solder joints. Serious reliability issue.

I'd love to hear about those "tons of cold solder joints" from Zhaolu owners. I've never seen even one and I had umpteen of these go through my bench...
Maybe you should say that you are guessing instead of throwing this empty statement full of unfounded confidence. You are welcome to prove me wrong - but with facts please, not empty talk.

BTW, I've looked at many other medium price audio products assembled in China. If anything, I'd say they are overbuilt. You can hardly get a quality point-to-point tube amp assembled in any Western country in the medium price range, but you'll find many good quality and low-cost ones from China.

Are there duds from China? Sure, but I've seen such items from reputable US companies too and I'm not sure that even the general statistics works in favor of your claim.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 26
Well, I ended up going with the Opus. I don't really have anything to compare it against, so I will reserve any direct descriptions of it, when I get it (which should be a little under a month). I reserve descriptions anyway...

Edit: If anyone around me has a DAC (like an OMZ or Benchmark DAC1) and wants to get together to compare (a mini-meet, I suppose) when I get my DAC, I don't suppose I'd be adverse. PM me if you're interested.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*** I'm still in limbo as to what to get...so thanks for adding the Opus to my list.

One other option to the Benchmark DAC1 is the Lavry DA10. As great as the benchmark is, some studios, etc seem to prefer the Lavry. See link below...

Lavry DA10 vs Benchmark DAC1: DEATHMATCH

Please update us on what you think of the unit!

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have no experience with the Opus, but he DAC1 is a no brainer. it's a solid pro quality piece, sounds great and their customer service is second to none. paired with the right headphone, the headphone amp is exceptional. although i've not used it as a pre-amp, it offers this too as well, making it a Swiss Army knife-like bargain. but if you need SPDIF, their well built cable with Canare connectors cost a whopping $30.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

PACE

X12.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to hear about those "tons of cold solder joints" from Zhaolu owners. I've never seen even one and I had umpteen of these go through my bench...
Maybe you should say that you are guessing instead of throwing this empty statement full of unfounded confidence. You are welcome to prove me wrong - but with facts please, not empty talk.

BTW, I've looked at many other medium price audio products assembled in China. If anything, I'd say they are overbuilt. You can hardly get a quality point-to-point tube amp assembled in any Western country in the medium price range, but you'll find many good quality and low-cost ones from China.

Are there duds from China? Sure, but I've seen such items from reputable US companies too and I'm not sure that even the general statistics works in favor of your claim.

The build quality of most is pretty poor, and often poorly laid out.

But with that aside, being over-built with components does not mean build quality.

Do you know what cold solder joints are?

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's older but how does a Musical Fidelity A3.24 or Trivista compare to an Opus or Lavry or Benchmark?

I know the A3.24 betters the XDAC3. I had the XDAC3 along with my DAC1, & the DAC1 was better.. Nothing drastic though. So I'd guess the A3.24 would be comparable to the DAC1 in SQ.. For 600 used they are a steal..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back