Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Jun 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #166 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The desirability of the Sabre though is the integration...... no need for receivers, Metronome etc. Some people might like the ability to customise; I just want something easy, regardless of cost
tongue.gif

This is a good point. There are some benefits and compromises to each approach.

This is why I am glad I can listen to both, and don't have to choose!
wink.gif

Kidding aside. They do sound differently. Though I struggle to try to describe it.

Cheers!
Russ

Jun 19, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #167 of 1,284
Russ,

Could you tell us what the key sonic differences are btween the Buffalo and the Opus WM8471? My plans started with the Opus in Novemeber. The Buffalo with a Pass D1 I/V with no feedback and converted to SE is the current plan. How is the volume control in the new Wolfson? How is it in SE? The key reason I want the Buffalo is the dynamics. The other important reasons are the volume control, voltage or current out, DSD friendly, S/PDIF, no need for a clock upgrade... The Wolfson gets points for being cheaper but it will only stay less expensive if the volume control is good, has no need for a clock upgrade, if it sounds great in SE from the DAC itself(no buffer), and if I only use I2S or DSD. As soon as I must add a S/PDIF module, clock, attenuator and buffer, the Buffalo becomes a steal of a deal!

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #168 of 1,284
General question for all takers...... what do you think my chances are of fitting a Buffalo DAC and all associated paraphernalia in a ventilated 1U rackmount enclosure, with 1.5" (38mm) internal height?

I'm looking at 34.5mm high encapsulated transformers, which should just have enough room for a mounting bolt.

LCBPS/LCDPS look like they have 1" H/S, so should fit on 0.25" stand-offs with a little room to spare. Buffalo and IVY can be mounted next to each other. TOSLINK modules doesn't look higher than 1.25". Darwin selector isn't too large.

If I decide to go for an ε24 power switch, the associated σ24 transformer is just 24mm high, so should also fit on 0.25" stand-offs. The problem may be fitting a sufficiently large relay.

Thoughts? Am I forgetting something that may cause problems
confused.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #169 of 1,284
Quote:

General question for all takers...... what do you think my chances are of fitting a Buffalo DAC and all associated paraphernalia in a ventilated 1U rackmount enclosure, with 1.5" (38mm) internal height?

I'm looking at 34.5mm high encapsulated transformers, which should just have enough room for a mounting bolt.

LCBPS/LCDPS look like they have 1" H/S, so should fit on 0.25" stand-offs with a little room to spare. Buffalo and IVY can be mounted next to each other. TOSLINK modules doesn't look higher than 1.25". Darwin selector isn't too large.

If I decide to go for an ε24 power switch, the associated σ24 transformer is just 24mm high, so should also fit on 0.25" stand-offs. The problem may be fitting a sufficiently large relay.

Thoughts? Am I forgetting something that may cause problems
confused.gif

I have my Opus DAC fitted in a 1U case from Hifi2000 without a problem. I have some modules stacked as well. The SSR might be a problem though, but I dont use one for mine.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #170 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my Opus DAC fitted in a 1U case

Cheers! This will simplify my casework a LOT, by not having to worry about separate chassis and umbilicals. Even when I count the cost of encapsulated transformers, it is cheaper too!

Quote:

The SSR might be a problem though, but I dont use one for mine.

Yeah, I'm really not sure about relay power switching yet - I really just want it for the 'romantic' nature. The rest of me doesn't want the extra expense considering it would mean yet another hit of international shipping.... and if I am buying from AMB, I might as well buy B22 boards...... it will all just spiral out of control!
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #171 of 1,284
Quote:

....Yeah, I'm really not sure about relay power switching yet - I really just want it for the 'romantic' nature. The rest of me doesn't want the extra expense considering it would mean yet another hit of international shipping.... and if I am buying from AMB, I might as well buy B22 boards...... it will all just spiral out of control!
wink.gif

The relay switching is great. I did mine with flip-flops, but I have used a similar circuit to Ti's as well, with good results.
wink.gif

I haven't really studied Ti's board, but I can't imagine a relay being so big as not to fit that case. You won't need a huge thing for this.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #172 of 1,284
Quote:

Yeah, I'm really not sure about relay power switching yet - I really just want it for the 'romantic' nature. The rest of me doesn't want the extra expense considering it would mean yet another hit of international shipping.... and if I am buying from AMB, I might as well buy B22 boards...... it will all just spiral out of control!
wink.gif

Oh yeah, that happens to me all the time. Ordering things just because Im ordering something else from the same supplier. I have droves of stuff to build now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #173 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I can't imagine a relay being so big as not to fit that case. You won't need a huge thing for this.

I'm sure I could fit it in, but have decided against it to spread my budget into other areas.

In particular, I have decided to put some XLR outputs in - even though I have no equipment that can use them. Now I know absolutely nothing about XLR connections..... so can somebody please confirm that these Amphenol models would do the job? Altronics - Your One Stop Electronics Shop
Or perhaps the Neutrik equivalent? Altronics - Your One Stop Electronics Shop

[EDIT] Oh, and can anybody recommend a nice push button switch to go along with an OTTO? I've decided that a Darwin is just overkill, and will be too messy for me to put LEDs on the front panel.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #174 of 1,284
Quote:

I'm sure I could fit it in, but have decided against it to spread my budget into other areas.

In particular, I have decided to put some XLR outputs in - even though I have no equipment that can use them. Now I know absolutely nothing about XLR connections..... so can somebody please confirm that these Amphenol models would do the job? Altronics - Your One Stop Electronics Shop
Or perhaps the Neutrik equivalent? Altronics - Your One Stop Electronics Shop

[EDIT] Oh, and can anybody recommend a nice push button switch to go along with an OTTO? I've decided that a Darwin is just overkill, and will be too messy for me to put LEDs on the front panel.

Yes, the amphenol would work great. I didnt even know they made XLRs
smily_headphones1.gif

I just use a regular toggle switch from Apem (Series 5000) but they make nice pushswitches as well (series 8000).

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #175 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the amphenol would work great. I didnt even know they made XLRs
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems they make just about every type of connector under the sun
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I just use a regular toggle switch from Apem (Series 5000) but they make nice pushswitches as well (series 8000).

I actually found these really nice latching switches in stock at Farnell, which is where I will be getting most of my other gear: BULGIN | MP0045/3E0NN000. Pricey, but I think they will look pretty awesome on the front panel.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #176 of 1,284
Quote:

I actually found these really nice latching switches in stock at Farnell, which is where I will be getting most of my other gear: BULGIN | MP0045/3E0NN000. Pricey, but I think they will look pretty awesome on the front panel.

Those do look really nice on a front panel. I bought some Bulgin knock-offs on ebay, cheaper but still decent quality. I have one left for a preamp power switch, so I'll need to get another one once I get around to a DAC.

gainclone_06.jpg

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #178 of 1,284
Bah! I'm so bummed. I put in my Farnell order last night, and drive round to a couple of local shops today to get the XLR connectors, standoffs, fuses, LEDs, case feet and the case itself.

But the case is out of stock until July 18. Now I have no DIY project to keep me busy this weekend!
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #180 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea how small of an enclosure you could cram a buffalo into?
smily_headphones1.gif

Is that a genuine question, or just prompting me to try something smaller?
wink.gif

I've seen Brian's OPUS layout that puts everything into a single Hammond 1455T2201...... but that was only possible since he was running a single LCDPS from one transformer, and driving the XLR outputs direct from the OPUS board. But I absolutely need unbalanced and don't want to sacrifice any performance by running the Buffalo in voltage output, so at a minimum I need two power supplies and two boards.

Now I probably still don't need a 19" wide case for this...... but my rationale is that I can also buy 2U and 3U models in the exact same footprint which will easily fit a 3 or 4 channel B22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back