Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
May 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #136 of 1,284
Thanks Russ,
Please can I go on the 'want one' list?
I've registered on the Twisted Pear site.
Incidentally if you press the 'Register' button with email blank the site collapses with a 'Potentially Dangerous Action' exception. Sorry..
Steve

May 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #138 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Russ,
I posted this over at the other place but didn't hear back - Would this DAC + IVY have sufficient drive for a 600 ohm input transformer fronting a Zeus Amplifier?

John

Sorry I must have missed it. Busy weekend. Yes, a 600 ohm load should be no problem for the IVY.

Cheers!
Russ

May 17, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #140 of 1,284
Would the buffalo and opus be concidered very easy to build? I have not even built a cmoy before, would I be able to build the buffalo or opus without too much trouble? I'm good at building with LEGO, so that is my reference
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:

And what would the price be without casework for the opus? For the buffalo? This is with everything except casework.

May 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #141 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the buffalo and opus be concidered very easy to build? I have not even built a cmoy before, would I be able to build the buffalo or opus without too much trouble? I'm good at building with LEGO, so that is my reference
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:

And what would the price be without casework for the opus? For the buffalo? This is with everything except casework.

You will need basic soldering skills and the ability to recognize components and their polarities.
Most of the soldering is in building the power supplies.
You also will need some knowledge of electric circuits.

The minimum you need for an Opus is;
1 x receiver board, either USB or S/PDIF.
1 x DAC board and
1 x Dual Power Supply.
You can expand on this by adding other boards as required.

The Buffalo is probably more cost effective.

Prices are on the Twisted Pear site.

Hope that helps as a starter.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #142 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by j4cbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the typical current draw look like?

For the buffalo around 150ma at VD. With a Wm8804 module also sharing VD I get 170ma.

For Buffalo VA about 60ma.

IVY current draw will depend on load and configuration. Mine at idle connect to a running Buffalo: V+(15V) is 40ma V-(15V) is 50ma.

Cheers!
Russ

May 18, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #143 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will need basic soldering skills and the ability to recognize components and their polarities.
Most of the soldering is in building the power supplies.
You also will need some knowledge of electric circuits.

The minimum you need for an Opus is;
1 x receiver board, either USB or S/PDIF.
1 x DAC board and
1 x Dual Power Supply.
You can expand on this by adding other boards as required.

The Buffalo is probably more cost effective.

Prices are on the Twisted Pear site.

Hope that helps as a starter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info!!

May 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #144 of 1,284
so opus got little brother here
biggrin.gif
, got some questions

it is said that Sabre already got ASRC, will adding Metronome module making any improvement to this DAC?
what are IC2 and IC3 doing?
from USB, which is preferred, I2S or SPDIF?
is this design final already? if so, can't wait to get one....

May 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #146 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Russ/ Brian, I've sent a couple of emails to your site mail addy with no response in the last couple of weeks. Is it me the site or just back logged? Thanks!

Just backlogged. We are nearing a major release date at work (day job) and my wife has been under the weather, so I have been doing triple duty this past week.

Working on the backlog now.

May 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #147 of 1,284
Quote:

it is said that Sabre already got ASRC, will adding Metronome module making any improvement to this DAC?

No.

Quote:

what are IC2 and IC3 doing?

IC2 is a comparator for the S/PDIF input. IC3 is a buffer for the analog supply.

Quote:

from USB, which is preferred, I2S or SPDIF?

You can use either, but I would use I2S.

Quote:

is this design final already?

Yes.

Quote:

if so, can't wait to get one....

Soon. We are currently getting between 5 and 20 emails per day about it. Boards have arrived and chips are about to arrive. I am now trying to figure out the best way to meet demand without getting a divorce
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #148 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just backlogged. We are nearing a major release date at work (day job) and my wife has been under the weather, so I have been doing triple duty this past week.

Working on the backlog now.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate what you do for the community
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #149 of 1,284
I see Twisted Pear offering the PCB. Is it possible for me to get my grubby hands on the PIC hex code and BoM/stuffing guide? And where can I get the ES9008?

May 31, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #150 of 1,284
Well, I am back from solitary confinement... I apologize to those who did not get my humour. I was merely stating that the boys at Twisted Pear should be allowed to use a few qualatative terms to describe their baby and I said it in a colourful way so please relax. Second, I was not banned for what was written in this thread. I was banned for a post in the general discussion forum that was about the state of world affairs. OK?

On to the Buffalo!

Russ and Brian,

I am dying to get my hands on a Buffalo. I have decided to go with the DAC and feed it an I2S signal from a computer and DSD from a Denon player. As you had suggested, I will tap a wire on the "SACD" light to switch from I2S using an OTTO. The DAC will be used as a voltage DAC for a while as I still have my heart set on building a tube based I/V stage. I am building a balanced 24v Aikido(SE version first) and would love to know what you think about using tubes in place of the IVY? If I was to build a tube based current amp to amplify the current output of the DAC and then a simple passive resistor for I/V conversion. Would this work, or might it be better sounding than amplifying voltage? My understanding is that if I increase the amount of current the DAC generates by use of a tubed(or fet) current amplifier, then using a passive resistor for I/V conversion should result in enough voltage swing. Sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back