Feb 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a new desoldering iron too
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought you might peak in.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #37 of 46
You'd be far less likely to damage the boards and will get the same effect by just adding little jumpers across the cap pins. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

It is a remarkable little DAC and one that can grow as Brian's modules expand

Just have to mention... Russ does all the R&D and design, I build and ship.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd be far less likely to damage the boards and will get the same effect by just adding little jumpers across the cap pins. Just my 2 cents.

Just have to mention... Russ does all the R&D and design, I build and ship.

I personally would hesitate to even attempt that, but the DAC is in the very capable hands of luvdunhill who has successfully removed the caps.

He's also replaced some Navships wire with Silver wire, and I believe is in the process of upgrading some of the parts on the Zapfilter power supply board. He will install the OTTO soon to switch between the new AES/EBU and Toslink inputs.

He has told me that the soundstage has opened up dramatically.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any comparisons of the Opus to the likes of DAC1, 840C and company?

My comparisons would be from memory, but I personally think the Opus has a much nicer top end than the DAC1. I also like it better than the Lavry DA10.
As far as the 840C, they're kind of differing approaches, and I like them both. The 840C in my opinion is a bit dryer, but probably more nuetral and detailed. The Opus is more musical and lively. Keep in mind that my Opus has the Zapfilter output stage.

Also with the new mods I'm not sure what the differences are yet.

I believe pabbi1 gave some quick impressions of the 840C vs. Opus in the last Dallas meet impressions thread.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #41 of 46
I found those brief impressions of pabbi1:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/da...9/#post3715369
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the 840C, they're kind of differing approaches, and I like them both. The 840C in my opinion is a bit dryer, but probably more nuetral and detailed. The Opus is more musical and lively. Keep in mind that my Opus has the Zapfilter output stage.

How much of this, liveliness and musicality, do you think is attributed to the Zapfilter?

Makes me wonder when someone will attempt to Zap an 840C..

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #43 of 46
I bump this old thread because i wanted to know the impression about the balsie versus the ZF opus?
Does the ZF destroy the ballsie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back