swt61

Dr. Wood
ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT:

Hifidiy.net top loading CD transport
Four Channel Balanced β22 Headphone Amp
Tice Audio MB3 Power Conditioner
Heavily modded AKG K340 with balanced Black Clover cables by Fitz
AKG K240 Sextett with balanced Black Clover cables by Fitz
“Chocolate Donut MkII” custom woody orthodynamic with balanced Black Clover cables by Fitz
Black Clover balanced interconnects, Signal Cable Silver Resolution digital coax cable, looser101 digital coax cable, Virtual Dynamics Power3 power cord, Enigma Audio power cord, Signal Cable Magic power cord.

THE OPUS:

I’ve spent a little over a month with my new “Epic Opus” DAC, and I think I’m ready to give some impressions.

First off many different variants of the Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC can be built, so let me detail my particular build. My Opus employs dual differential configuration. Not being an electronics whiz by any means I’ll let someone else explain the design philosophy, but to drastically simplify that means it uses two of the Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC boards instead of one. My Opus also has an LC Audio Zapfilter MkII discreet output stage installed. The Zapfilter MkII is a high end analog stage that offers both single ended and true balanced outputs, and the kit contains its own dedicated power supply.

The Zapfilter is a very highly regarded analog stage, and it most certainly brings its own sound signature to the mix. Those of you expecting to hear what an Opus DAC sounds like may be in for a surprise, as the two may sound quite different indeed. I have not heard the Opus DAC with its own, or the Ballsie output stages, so I can’t comment on the difference there. Maybe the builder of my DAC (fierce_freak) will comment, as he had another unZapped Opus on hand to compare to.

Most of my comparisons will be to the Lavry DA10 that I’m looking after for a friend, and some will be from memory of my Zapfiltered Zhaolu D2C that I owned in the past.

LISTENING:

I first played Diana Krall “The Look Of Love” all the way through on the Opus, and then repeated this procedure with the Lavry.
The most obvious discrepancies were in the soundstage, imaging and bass response.
While I loved the Lavry when I briefly owned one about 18 months ago, it’s up against a formidable foe in the Opus. The soundstage of the Opus was noticeably wider and deeper. The imaging of the Lavry while quite good was outdone by the Opus as well. The Opus has the ability to pinpoint instruments in a three dimensional field better than the DA10.
Bass response has always been a strong suit of the Zapfilter, it was incredible how the Zapfilter transformed the bass of the Zhaolu D2C, and it’s certainly present in the Opus as well. The bass is clearly deeper than the Lavry, and noticeably tighter as well. One thing I do have to give the Lavry is in treble extension, I think it eaks out the Opus just a tad, though both do a very nice job.
KD Lang’s “Season Of Hollow Soul” yielded a remarkably wide soundstage out of the Opus, and an overall more lively sound. The Lavry seemed to be going through the motions by comparison. Alison Krauss’ “A Hundred Miles Or More” was a bit of a mixed bag. While the bass response of the Opus was superior to the Lavry, and the soundstage was deeper with a lushness I found very involving, the sparkle of the Lavry’s treble was very pleasing. Michael Buble’s “Call Me Irresponsible” clearly favored the Opus. The soundstage and imaging really came to the forefront, and the lively nature of the Opus just couldn’t be duplicated by the DA10.
I find my Stereophile Test CD 2 to be a fantastic reference when comparing equipment, and again with the exception of the treble response of the Lavry, the Opus was the clear victor.

SUMMATION:

While both the Lavry DA10 and the Twisted Pear Audio Opus are DACs that deliver stellar performance in the price range, I clearly have to give the nod to the Opus for its lively engaging signature, and its incredible imaging and soundstage.
Both DACs as configured are right in the $975.00 neighborhood, and unless you value that last smidgeon of treble sparkle above all else, my recommendation would be the Zapfiltered Opus.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 46
Thanks for the impressions swt! I'm actually in the semi-long process of building my very own Super-Opus. Currently not sure if I'll use the Ballsie or Zapfilter, but I might just pick up the Twisted Pear relay switcher and put both in with a toggle to choose.

When did you get an Opus Aaron? Pictures please
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 46
Very interesting impressions... It seems that most experienced listeners find the Lavry DA10 (AD1955 DAC) to be a little cool-sounding.

From what you can remember, how do these DACs sound versus the Zapfilter'd Zhaolu D2.5C?

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I might just pick up the Twisted Pear relay switcher and put both in with a toggle to choose.

Now that would be sweet! If you do I'd definitely like to hear your impressions of the two output stages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting impressions... It seems that most experienced listeners find the Lavry DA10 (AD1955 DAC) to be a little cool-sounding.

From what you can remember, how do these DACs sound versus the Zapfilter'd Zhaolu D2.5C?

I definitely find the Opus warmer than the Lavry.

The Zhaolu was a decent DAC for the price, but really rather boring stock. The Lavry definitely was the better DAC without a doubt. However, to say that the Zhaolu was transformed by the Zapfilter would be an understatement. You really wouldn't have believed the two DACs shared any common parts whatsoever.
IMO the Zapped Zhaolu handily beat the Lavry in all respects. The Zapped Zhaolu and the Zapped Opus are very similar creatures indeed. But I've heard from others that the Zapfilter adds it's characteristic sound to just about everything it's installed in. Philodox said there was little difference in his Zapfiltered Eastsound E5 SE and my "Epic Opus" (he and looser101 made the trip to fierce_freaks to listen to it).
From memory I'd say that the Opus has a bit of an edge in detail, and is overall a bit more refined. I'm the first to admit that memory can play tricks on you though, so don't take that to the bank.
The one thing that I'm certain of is that the "Epic Opus" has a wider and deeper soundstage than the Zapped Zhaolu and the Lavry.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 46
thanks for the review. i have an opus being built and look forward to posting impressions soon. it would be helpful for others if more people post their impressions and provide the specs/options on their units. since the opus can be configured in so many different ways, it would give others a better sense of what options to consider...

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that would be sweet! If you do I'd definitely like to hear your impressions of the two output stages.

I definitely find the Opus warmer than the Lavry.

The Zhaolu was a decent DAC for the price, but really rather boring stock. The Lavry definitely was the better DAC without a doubt. However, to say that the Zhaolu was transformed by the Zapfilter would be an understatement. You really wouldn't have believed the two DACs shared any common parts whatsoever.
IMO the Zapped Zhaolu handily beat the Lavry in all respects. The Zapped Zhaolu and the Zapped Opus are very similar creatures indeed. But I've heard from others that the Zapfilter adds it's characteristic sound to just about everything it's installed in. Philodox said there was little difference in his Zapfiltered Eastsound E5 SE and my "Epic Opus" (he and looser101 made the trip to fierce_freaks to listen to it).
From memory I'd say that the Opus has a bit of an edge in detail, and is overall a bit more refined. I'm the first to admit that memory can play tricks on you though, so don't take that to the bank.
The one thing that I'm certain of is that the "Epic Opus" has a wider and deeper soundstage than the Zapped Zhaolu and the Lavry.

I find the Zhalou + zap filter noticeably superior to the Lavry as well. I also like the Ori Modded Zhalou better than the Lavry. But, between the two I enjoy the Zhalou + zap filter more. I prefer the big, bold sound of the zapped dac over the Ori modded dac's more restrained and refined presentation .... with the rock and blues music I prefer. But, if I were a jazz or classical fan I might think otherwise.

I have several sacdmods Sony 555es players with zap filters installed. I hear many similarities between the sacdmods 555es and zap filter Zhalou, such as, the bass presentation, impactful dynamics and full rich tone. But, the different dac in the Zhalou has a slightly brighter, more open sound vs the 555es's warmer and slightly richer presentation. So, IMO, the zap filter may impose some distinct sound characteristics but the dac used definitely has some effect on the final sound.

Just my $.02
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the Zhalou + zap filter noticeably superior to the Lavry as well...

...the zap filter may impose some distinct sound characteristics but the dac used definitely has some effect on the final sound.

Which Zhaolu do you have, D2.0A, D2.0C, D2.5A, or D2.5C? Just curious about which DAC you're using...

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 46
I may be in the minority here but the Zap Filter sound didn't work for me. I had a SACDmods NS9100ES and have spent time with a Zap Filtered 2.5C. It will be interesting to hear the difference with the Zap Filter and the Ballsie, especially if Nebby can get them to switch in one box.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Zhaolu do you have, D2.0A, D2.0C, D2.5A, or D2.5C? Just curious about which DAC you're using...

Zhalou / zap 2.0C

Zhaou / zap 2.5C

Ori modded Zhalou 2.5A

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got any impressions/pictures?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't really have anything to compare it to nor the time to set up a real DBT, so no impressions. Plus, I upgraded my headphones, amp, and source (Opus) all at once. (I went from a soundcard and LiveWires to M^3, Opus, and Sextets.)

No pictures yet...

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really have anything to compare it to nor the time to set up a real DBT, so no impressions. Plus, I upgraded my headphones, amp, and source (Opus) all at once. (I went from a soundcard and LiveWires to M^3, Opus, and Sextets.)

No pictures yet...

Wow, that's certainly quite an upgrade
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No pictures yet...

How do you like (or not) your Livewires? I am seriously considering ordering a set to replace my Triple 10's.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back