Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
May 27, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #841 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice work. I can never make them truly square.

The most important thing is to be to clamp it the properly. Imo, if it's not clamped well there's no hope of getting a square.

But for a panel like this now that I know the drawing is good, I would just have hammond do the panels.

...well, maybe - it's sick, but I actually like this kind of case work.

May 28, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #842 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments
smily_headphones1.gif

Could someone clarify how to connect the Volumite to the Opus. Right now I have SCL and SDA from the Volumite connected to ML and MD of the Opus, respectively.
Are these the only connections I need (or even the right ones)?
Thanks!

...also how do I put the Opus in software mode?
My understanding is DIFFHW = 0 and MODE = Z (middle switch position)

OPUS s/w settings for I2C control

May 28, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #843 of 994
I'm sure I'm being a dumb*ss, but I still don't understand. Apparently the volumite is meant to use the SPI header, but I'm still not sure which wire goes where and to where (ie from the volumite header to the wm8741 header).
:/

May 28, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #844 of 994
I see. I connected the two wires to the pads directly across the DSD and DEEMPH switches. Those two pads are also wired to MD and ML (The schematic shows MD connects to DEEMPH and ML to DSD. Then you have to change the switches so the chip can operate in s/w mode. I believe SCL is the same as SCLK.

In other words
Volumite SCL -> ML (Same as DSD)
Volumite SDA -> MD (Sames ad DEEMPH)

May 28, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #846 of 994
One more thing: The DAC can have one of two addresses. I'm not sure which address volumite uses, but the address is configured with the i2s switch.
* I2S=0, address is 0011010
* I2S=1, address is 0011011 (I Used this address since it is already configured this way for hardware mode)

May 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #847 of 994
Could anyone make sure that this setup map is correct? (feel free to make corrections
k701smile.gif
)

Code:

Code:
[left]IEC -> LCDPS -> (1),(2) #1: (1) (2) ↓ Opus → Output (SE) ↑ Receiver ← Optical in (Toslink module) And eventually... #2: (1) (2) ↓ Opus → Ballsie → Output ↑ Metronome ↑ TPA 4:1 Mux ┌───┬──┴──┬────┐ Opt USB Coaxial ? (SPDIF module)[/left]

As I see it I'll need 2x LCDPS to power the four main modules for setup #2. I'm unsure where the SPDIF module will get its power from, but I'm assuming that it grabs power from one of the modules or direct from the LCDPS. At the moment I can't search the web, AT&T is having problems and sites are really slow
frown.gif

May 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #848 of 994
If the 4:1 mux is the TPA mux, that IS the receiver (but you will need something else for USB). REgarding PS, basically you separate the analog from the digital. The DAC has an analog section so that takes one side of the LCDPS and the other section of LCDPS can power the digital part of OPUS DAC and all other cards.

May 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #849 of 994
The TPA USB board can output SPDIF, so there won't be any issue with the TPA MUX. I've been tempted to pick up the M-audio transit and tapping the spdif out pins on that instead of using the TPA USB; I like the specs on the 1020 chip a bit better.

May 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #850 of 994
Need a decent DAC, had a read through the posts, very confusing!
It will be feed from S/PDIF out on auzentech prelude soundcard, so if get;

-Opus DAC + S/PDIF Receiver Combo kit $185
Opus - A Balanced DAC
and transformer, is that all i need, to run to my headphone amp?

May 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #851 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need a decent DAC, had a read through the posts, very confusing!
It will be feed from S/PDIF out on auzentech prelude soundcard, so if get;

-Opus DAC + S/PDIF Receiver Combo kit $185
Opus - A Balanced DAC
and transformer, is that all i need, to run to my headphone amp?

If you don't want to run it single ended, and have the hookup wire and connectors, then you will have the minimum.

May 31, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #852 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't want to run it single ended, and have the hookup wire and connectors, then you will have the minimum.

thanks, I will be running;

Soundcard>DAC>Headphone Amp

Is this okay? single/balanced, what the difference?

May 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #853 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, I will be running;

Soundcard>DAC>Headphone Amp

Is this okay? single/balanced, what the difference?

Balanced uses XLR four pin or two XLR 3-pin connectors commonly, Single ended uses RCA, 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jacks commonly. It depends on what kind of input your amp has.

Here is a link to some info about using a balanced DAC and amplifier rig:
Art. I- Balanced vs. Unbalanced - HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #854 of 994
I got my Opus finished last night and have started breaking it in. Sounds very good so far ...trying not to get too critical yet and am just using it to watch movies in order to get so time on it. Lots of detail and a very wide sound stage.

Question: I have my DAC set up for dual mono, two OPUS boards. Can I just daisy chain them to the Volumite? If so are there any jumper settings that get changed on the OPUS boards? I did look at the manual and cruised the TP Forum but did not see this addressed clearly.

Best,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back