Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Jan 8, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #287 of 994
Quote:

When using the Ballsie for balanced output, this is safe too, right?

No. the DC offset will still be present on the balanced outputs of the Ballsie. As naamanf mentioned, some equipment can deal with the 2.5V offset, but definitely not all.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #288 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can tell you what sounds better than Blackgates. No Blackgates. Pulled them out and installed jumpers. Really seemed to make a huge difference. I am always a bit skeptical of what I hear when changing things around but it really does sound a lot better. Seemed to make the largest difference on the top end and transparency. Very worthy upgrade (downgrade?).

Here it is:
IMG_0085.jpg

Still waiting on a certain Uber controller to finish it up and make it pretty.

SWEET build....
cool.gif

No high Frequency hash or listening fatigue experienced with the removal of the BG's from the output? What level, if any, dc on your outputs with the BG's removed?

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #290 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04BluMach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SWEET build....
cool.gif

No high Frequency hash or listening fatigue experienced with the removal of the BG's from the output? What level, if any, dc on your outputs with the BG's removed?

There might be just a tad but I much prefer the sound now with them gone than with them there. The problem is I am going to need a output with no DC eventually. I think I might give the Zap filter a try.

The DC offset is 2.5V.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm I'm an electrical dumbass but why would someone want to take an awesome balanced dac, add a S.E. converter and then try to use that for a balanced setup? Why not just skip the ballsie in the first place?

The ballsie has separate SE and balanced outputs.

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #292 of 994
We should be ordering the new boards in the next day or two. It will take a few weeks for them to arrive, then I need to start building. Probably the beginning of February. I'll post ship dates on our site once I know more detail.

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #293 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. the DC offset will still be present on the balanced outputs of the Ballsie. As naamanf mentioned, some equipment can deal with the 2.5V offset, but definitely not all.

Thanks for the answers.

My in-build-b22 will kill my headphones with such offset
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably I'll try to change the caps, and maybe the zapfilter later.

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #294 of 994
The ZapFilter has caps in the path too (I think). It's either going to be a discrete circuit, op-amp or caps to get rid of the offset, take your pick. You could use a TXD module to do it as well.

[EDIT] Nope, it doesn't. Just looked. Well, not ELs anyway.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #295 of 994
hi brian,
im wondering if its possible to reserve a set since everything goes so fast?
i have been emailing you but to no avail.

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #296 of 994
Quote:

The ZapFilter has caps in the path too (I think). It's either going to be a discrete circuit, op-amp or caps to get rid of the offset, take your pick. You could use a TXD module to do it as well.

AFAIK the Zapfilter mkII doesn't have caps anywhere in the signal path but uses an opamp for a dc-servo.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #297 of 994
Quote:

AFAIK the Zapfilter mkII doesn't have caps anywhere in the signal path but uses an opamp for a dc-servo.

It has three 470pF caps (silver mica), one for stability, to as filters, similar to the Ballsie. Nothing wrong with that. Can't make a filter without them.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #298 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan
It has three 470pF caps (silver mica), one for stability, to as filters, similar to the Ballsie. Nothing wrong with that. Can't make a filter without them.

Actually, all three as used for filters. The first capacitor is part of a differential filter set at 127 kHz, the second and third capacitor are two single filters set at 84 kHz.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #299 of 994
Quote:

im wondering if its possible to reserve a set since everything goes so fast?

Once we know when the boards will be arriving and we have a solid ship date (including time for me to build), we will open up pre-orders. We are again doubling the number of boards in the order, so they should last longer this time. We are also going to be ready to order more before we run out.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #300 of 994
Quote:

or a Sowter transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back