Twisted Grado SR-225 cord
Feb 25, 2007 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

event

Head-Fier
My Grados have twisted, uneven cords leading from each can to the Y junction. They still work fine, but it's getting rather annoying. One side is definitely longer than the other, and there is pretty much always a twist in the cord, so it defaults to a position with a 180degree twist.

I'm rather dissapointed, I would think that the wiring would be perfected in headphones I spent $200 for... what should I do about this? Email Grado? would they do anything?

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 4
This is not a manufacturing defect, it's something the user does without realizing it.

They twist because the driver housing can spin all the way around. When you set them down flat, you don't always pick them up again and turn them the opposite way you had put them down. That, eventually, leads to twisting the wires.

The good news is that you can hold them up and spin the driver housing back to where it should be. That will untwist the cord and they should be OK.

However, I do think Grado should make their current upper end headphones like the HP-1000 line: with aluminum earphone housing holders and set screws. The set screws keep them from turning or moving, which is a good design. Also, aluminum would be so much nicer than plastic for that part.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Wow, I feel dumb now
redface.gif
Thanks for that...

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 4
if it becomes a problem for you, check out headphile. if you get your Grados recabled/woodied, he'll throw in the rod locks that Uncle Erik described for 5-12 bucks, plus a minimum of $90 for the mods.

i think it'd be worth it, since the only upgrade that you could get for that amount would be the Alessandro MS2i or the Grado SR325i...

edit: on an unrelated/off-topic note, i'd like to add that this is the most beautiful headphone i've ever seen:

img61.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back