Twice-a-Year Super-Isolating Phones
Mar 28, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #16 of 24
Whenever I go on flights, I use my sony CD180s. Listening to them right now with my brother in the next room with the tv on, I can hear the tv, but faintly in the background.

In flight, I did hear the plane engines, but with my ear plugs on, and the cd180s on over them, all I heard was my music, and no one talking, ofcourse the volume was high. Also, no one else was able to hear my music.

"I HATE being shut in a giant sardine can with 75 screaming babies" ... whats with that, every flight always has something like that, my flight was so frustrating because of all the fog delays that everyone was just ready to snap at any nuisance, the people next to me started yelling at each other, thank god I had my headphones, or I'd be yelling at them to shut up.

Mar 28, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
Third option: buy some Ety ear filters. I think that the model is ER-15. They will set you back about $10. They take out about 15 db across the spectrum. Now you can wear your headphones (over the ear filters) and have 15 to 20 db less racket to contend with. Audio quality is degraded a bit, but it sounds surprisingly good. The deeper the Ear filters are inserted the more treble they pass. That was not a typo. It seems backward, but it works great for tuning.

This is like going without earplugs and just turning up the music loud to block out the sound.

The plugs are blocking 15 dB of everything, including the music out of your headphones. What's the point?

It's still hazardous to your ear health.

Mar 28, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 24
No it isn't, nales.

Sure, you have to turn up the music louder, and it's not much safer from your ears, but it still blocks out 15 db's from the plane engines.

Mar 29, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by C4 Suke
What is hazardous to your ear health? And how so?

Actually, it shouldn't be harmful. I didn't think it through.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 9:22 AM Post #23 of 24
i wear ear plugs under my 280pros and that works really well (Excpept the sore ears after 8 hours of listening). or i put my ex70s on under my 280s. i took apart (completely destroyed) my old ex70s and found that the thing that leaks the most sound are those little hole thingies around where the silicone gasket thingy is .... lemme see if i can find a picture somewhere...

Apr 9, 2003 at 9:31 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by nales
This is like going without earplugs and just turning up the music loud to block out the sound.

The plugs are blocking 15 dB of everything, including the music out of your headphones. What's the point?

It's still hazardous to your ear health.

why ?

if they take away 15db on all the spectrum, there is no problem. Just imagine you put your volume (A) 15 db louder to cover the noise (B). Then you suppress 15db on everything.

A+15-15 = A initial and B becomes B-15

The "perceived music" was A-B, A+15-B once going with an higher volume (with an actual volume of A+15) and now is A-B+15. Same perception of the music but with an actual volume of A.

but take a pair of closed cans or it could annoy your neighbor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back