TV help: Downsizing from 36" Wega to smaller plasma/LCD
May 2, 2006 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
hey all.
I will be moving my 36" Wega to my living room and want to replace it with something. I am thinking a smaller screen would be ok, but don't want to go below 27" (although cost might require me to).

The small form factor and weight of a plasma/LCD would be great, but honestly I'm afraid I don't have the bucks. But if you guys have any suggestions on models to look at, I would really appreciate it.

At worst I will just pick up a smaller Wega or Samsung flat screen. But not having a CRT would be really nice.

Thanks!!
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 14
How much do you want to spend? I'll suggest a LCD.
BTW, "HD ready" TVs are monitors with (low quality) speakers. A PC monitor and separate speakers will generally be superior. I really suggest using a PC as a set top box since it can also act as a HD DVR, game console, DVD player, and network media player just to start. It'll turn out cheaper.

May 2, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 14
sadly, i am guessing LCD is too expensive for my desired size and budget constraint.

i havent set a price, but want to keep it as low as possible. I plan to use the TV with my directv, DVDP, and perhaps PS2/PS3.

btw, thanks for the info on monitors.

May 2, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't care about HD for my bedroom, and I NEED to downsize. my 36" (and likely the stand) will be moved to my living room. If i found a 32" CRT, I could go for that, maybe, but i might use a smaller stand, which would necessitate a smaller TV. I wish i had the dough for a nice 26" flat pannel, but that doesnt look likely.

sadly, a sony or samsung flat screen CRT might be my only options

May 2, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by star882
BTW, "HD ready" TVs are monitors with (low quality) speakers. A PC monitor and separate speakers will generally be superior.

Erroneous information. "HD ready TV" monitors are just HDTVs without any tuners. If it doesn't have a HD or analog tuner, then it can't be called a TV, and many manufacturers have dropped analog tuners from their TVs. This is why some plasma, LCD, and RPTVs are now called "monitors" instead of "TVs". This has nothing to do with PC monitors.

In any case, PC monitors have vastly different requirements, the main one being resolution, which jacks up the price compared to HD ready monitors. As you can't see all the resolution at typical TV distances, the money would be poorly spent. Also, many PC monitors do not have HDCP support. No HDCP support means no HDTV support.

I've seen fairly decent 26-27" LCD TVs go for ~$600, but really wouldn't go much below that for an LCD TV.

May 2, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 14
thanks for the clarification Marvin! actually, that totally jibes with the info that I was just reading.

if you have any tips of particular LCD Tvs at that price range, feel free to post or PM me the info, I'd love to see it.

(I'm especially wishing i hadn't lost my CC or BB store credits right now...)

May 2, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 14
You will be sitting on the lower end of the market, but the low end ain't too bad and much better than what it used to be. Plus, the brand are easily found and demo'ed vs more expensive ones.

For the cheaper 26-27" LCD TVs, the idea is usually to go out and compare them at stores, and wait for sales. The main players in this market are Westinghouse, Syntax, HP, and Sceptre. Usual prices are ~ $600-800 when not on sale, $500-650 when on sale. They won't look as quite as good as the top tier brands, but hey, you're paying about 1/2 the price. They're generally as good as the top tier brand's previous model.

For me, I'm perfectly happy with my Syntax LT30HVS (got it for $700 at Fry's). Black levels aren't as good as newer sets, but response time is good and the component/VGA/DVI inputs are excellent. The fact that it's manportable is icing on the cake. 26"+ CRTs are backbreakers when carried alone.

May 3, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You won't find plasma in that small a screen size.

Definitely check out Costco.

-Ed

Listen to the man. Costco has great deals on LCDs and Plasmas. If you wait for things to go on sale or coupon, the deals are even better.

CCC REPRESENT!

May 3, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 14
haha, actually a coworker just mentioned a Sceptre LCD he saw at costco the other day. thanks for the info Marvin & Ed.
smily_headphones1.gif
I will be sure to head over there (with someone who actually has a membership).

But...if I have to stay in the CRT realm...any good 27" to recommend? I remember threads past where someone really liked their Samsung flat screen.

In the past I had a Panasonic that I loved, but when it died, the extended warranty allowed to apply that credit to my current 36" Sony. heh.

May 3, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Costco has a coupon (valid starting next week I think) for $200 off the Vizio 37" LCD TV. This would make the price about $1300. It's a good buy if you don't need 2 HDMI inputs and 1080p support.

Regards,

-ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back