Tutorial: How to make a Zen V:M LOD (with pictures)
Jul 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 55
I'll be making more to sell in the For Sale forums...look for them!
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 55
double post ..........

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 55
It does. (The one you can charge with, right? The one that comes with it?)<---if that is what your talking about.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 55
Those don't lock in though. It stays in with friction...which is a pain, because they always come out! And you have to get a mini-mini cable, which again adds more connections in between....

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those don't lock in though. It stays in with friction...which is a pain, because they always come out! And you have to get a mini-mini cable, which again adds more connections in between....

Ah, I see. I don't use an amp portably. Just checking. Good to know it has one though! Gonna test it out today.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 55
Sorry for the ressurection, but does anyone know how to make a female dock connector for my ZV:M? I am really at a loss here, as I see iPod female dock connectors, but not ZV:M ones.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 55
I just made an ipod female dock...the ZV:M is going to be harder due to the resistor inside. What I suggest is use this dock (it has the most room inside), and cut the resistor as close as possible to the pins.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 55
You know, another thing you could do is use my guide, and instead of using a MALE mini, use a FEMALE mini. It won't be integrated inside the dock, but it'll get the job done
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 55
Yeah, I know I could do that, it just wouldn't be near as cool as it being integrated in the dock. By the way, nice little "currency=USD" in the URL. That helped me so much. Have you tried using a slim dock for this LOD? Another question, what happens if you don't put in the resistor?

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #27 of 55
I have tried using the slim dock (I actually have an LOD made with one right now). But you have to frabricate it to fit. IMHO its not worth it...I would just get one of the other docks because they are easier to work with. If you don't put the resistor in, the ZVM won't see the LOD---> no audio out of the LOD.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #28 of 55
I may update this with an integrated female plug(3.5mm) soon!

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 55
Thanks for the tut wgr73!

I was looking around headfi for Zen LODs for sale and came across this... I think I might give it a try! I have a few questions though...

1. Could you tell me which dock you bought from Qables? I can only see ipod docks and slim zen docks?
2. Instead of the Quadstar cable that you used, could I use four lengths of Qable's silver wire wrapped in the Teflon that they sell? Can you use this wire for the ground?
3. Also... i've never tried soldering, would this do the job?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to trying this!

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #30 of 55
1. I bought THIS dock...its easier to work with.
2. Yes, you could use that cable.
3. Crap! Um, this takes quite a bit of soldering skill because the pins are SUPER tiny! That iron would work, yes, but I recommend a plugin iron.

I really hope you suceed! If you do end up just wanting to buy a cable, let me know and I'll make one for you! See ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back