Tutorial: How to make a Zen V:M LOD (with pictures)
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #31 of 55
Ok, I just bought this soldering iron, let me know if it'll do and any tips you could give me would be great!

Thanks again!

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #32 of 55
I'm waiting for a bunch of the slim zen docks to come in. if I can't fit the resistor inside them, I'll just have it floating around right outside the dock.
tongue.gif

I can't wait for these docks to come in, I've already got everything else I need - 50 feet of silver 26 wire, a whole lot of neutrik right angle and straight plugs, and my multifilament techflex is coming in too.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbmcaulay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I just bought this soldering iron, let me know if it'll do and any tips you could give me would be great!

Thanks again!

That Iron is perfect!!
Tips:

1. If you could have someone hold the dock while you solder on the resistor that would be good! Be careful not to burn them though!
2. Also, try to use flux on the dock pins, it makes it a whole lot easier.
3. Pluck all of the pins that you won't need out like I stated in the tutorial, and when you solder the pins just "hit it" real quick...don't stay on them too long. More than likely you will cause a solder bridge, which is very hard to undo...you would probably have to take the bridged pins out and replace them with the ones you plucked...then you would have to see exactly which slot they fit into...see the pain this causes!!!! So be careful!

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for a bunch of the slim zen docks to come in. if I can't fit the resistor inside them, I'll just have it floating around right outside the dock.
tongue.gif

I can't wait for these docks to come in, I've already got everything else I need - 50 feet of silver 26 wire, a whole lot of neutrik right angle and straight plugs, and my multifilament techflex is coming in too.

Lol, outside the dock?!? You can fit it in...I made one and it worked fine. You will have to fabricate the slim dock a little bit, but no worries because it will still work!
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, outside the dock?!? You can fit it in...I made one and it worked fine. You will have to fabricate the slim dock a little bit, but no worries because it will still work!
tongue.gif

good to know, good to know.

hopefully i'll have em all made by tuesday, assuming the techflex comes in.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #36 of 55
Look what I just ordered! I'm getting excited now
wink.gif

85039001.jpg

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #38 of 55
Thanks cutun!

Robb, where did you get this? I need one of those for sure...not only for the cables!

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #40 of 55
Thanks! Im going to get one of those for sure!

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it supposed to switch to AV out when I plug it in? that kills the display...

zen vision w

If you goto settings and change the A/V out mode from either "Auto NTSC" or "Auto PAL" to "Off" it will not shut off the screen (at least with the ZV:M).

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbyers77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you goto settings and change the A/V out mode from either "Auto NTSC" or "Auto PAL" to "Off" it will not shut off the screen (at least with the ZV:M).

yep, that worked.

got my first LOD semi working, theres an 'iffy' connection in there. sounds amazing though, now I know what mistakes to avoid in making the other 4
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #44 of 55
wow, the second LOD I made has a very strange problem. In the right channel, drums, bass, and guitar sound perfect, but all noise from vocal range and up is completely nonexistent. Any ideas why that might have happened?

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 55
Make sure ALL of the contacts in the LOD and the connector are not touching! It is possible that you have a bridged connection in the LOD(the small pins are touching) causing a short of some kind. Same can be true for the connector, check you ground...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back