Tutorial: How to make a "Litz braid".
Jun 27, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Tools and supplies needed:
Wire of choice(I have used 22AWG SPC stranded wire for all the braids but it is not the best solution for all applications, please read my opinion near each braid text)

I was under the impression that litz braiding anything other than solid core wire does not yield the interference and "shielding" benefits of the technique. I read this somewhere and can no longer find it, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver96
I read this somewhere and can no longer find it, can anyone confirm or deny this?

it's mentioned a bit in the Chimera Labs link earlier in the thread....

I prefer their older version of the how-to though, I find it easier to read without all the fancy page layout.
tongue.gif

http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/audiolitzwirebraid.html

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

I was under the impression that litz braiding anything other than solid core wire does not yield the interference and "shielding" benefits of the technique. I read this somewhere and can no longer find it, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

I have used stranded wire for the tutorial for 2 reasons:

1. It is much more flexible. I have used the same wire for all the braids so I was afraid that solid core wire would break because of the intensive braiding and unbraiding.

2. It was the only kind I had available.
biggrin.gif

I have never made a comparison between solid core and stranded wire in the same braid, lenght, connector, etc so I cannot say that there will be a difference.

Regards

Manuel

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 57
I never really said that you were supporting the use of stranded wire for these braids. I just remembered reading to use solid core and was trying to confirm my memory and finding out if solid wire was indeed recommended. I understand why you used stranded wire, as I have braided both and the stranded is way easier on the fingers and of course it wont break after being braided a few times.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

I never really said that you were supporting the use of stranded wire for these braids. I just remembered reading to use solid core and was trying to confirm my memory and finding out if solid wire was indeed recommended. I understand why you used stranded wire, as I have braided both and the stranded is way easier on the fingers and of course it wont break after being braided a few times.

It was chimaera labs text about litz braids that says that about solid core wire. have you found it?

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #21 of 57
I have found a technique on the net about 4-strand round braid, but not sure if it is litz braiding. Here is the link "www.saroftreve.com/wwl/braiding/4roundnocore.shtml". Can someone verify that? Thanks.

Raymond

Edit: No idea why it didn't show up the whole link. I put double quote around it, please use copy and paste.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 57
Sorry, didn't know why the whole link didn't show up. I put double quotes around it and please use copy and paste.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #25 of 57
While I'm familiar with litzendraht braiding and it's purported purpose, I don't understand how this particular 'litz' braiding shown here confers those benefits. It seems like it mostly just accomplishes looking stylish rather than mitigating skin effect or something like that.

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #26 of 57
Here's my question about Litz: how do you manage that back-end of the wires after each braid?

All I could do was make the braid, then use my fingers to comb down the rest of the length of the wire. The problem is you loosen the braid you just made and you make a lot of kinks in the wires on the walk-back.

Do you all have little spools for each conductor when you braid?

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 57
Where would one acquire this wire? (Ooh! I rhymed!)
When using four wires, two go to the right and left audio channels, but the other two go where? Also, where does the third wire in a three wire braid go?

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 57
So after head-fi's crash all the links have changed and the pics don't show up. I had the photos hosted at head-fi's photo galleries and those are gone too. I will have to upload everything again. I'll try to do this as soon as possible but it wil take sometime as I'm currently changing jobs and it takes most of my time. Be a little bit pacient guys!

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after head-fi's crash all the links have changed and the pics don't show up. I had the photos hosted at head-fi's photo galleries and those are gone too. I will have to upload everything again. I'll try to do this as soon as possible but it wil take sometime as I'm currently changing jobs and it takes most of my time. Be a little bit pacient guys!

Very helpful thread
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm waiting for the images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back