Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS
Oct 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Groog

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but.....

I am basically wondering if anyone has this and what it's like. I've had a quick search on the forums but haven't found any recent posts. It fills my criteria in that it takes optical input and converts to a headphone socket whilst getting some dolby headphone action on the go too.

Also, are there any decent alternatives and does anyone know if this is sold by any UK based shops?

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 20
It does what you are saying, it has a rocker to adjust bass (good thing since many games doesn't have that much bass), it has also a normal 3.5 mm analog in so you can plug your TV for example.
The competion comes from Astro mixamp which does all but not the bass boost, but has more feature, as it has the option to balance between chat audio and game audio, for multiplayer this is a must.
Both of these devices do a little ampliflying which is great.
It also accepts more audio inputs, as aux, rca, and so.
The mixamp is more expensive.
In this site www.limexb360.co.uk you will find both of them, plus headphones and other possibility for headphone gaming on the xbox, ps3 or pc.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but.....

I am basically wondering if anyone has this and what it's like. I've had a quick search on the forums but haven't found any recent posts. It fills my criteria in that it takes optical input and converts to a headphone socket whilst getting some dolby headphone action on the go too.

Also, are there any decent alternatives and does anyone know if this is sold by any UK based shops?

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the info, I'm a bit more intrigued by the mixamp now.

Having googled reviews of the DSS a lot of people seem to be disappointed in its surround sound capabilities, but I think they just don't like dolby headphone.

Couple of questions:
1) Is the mixamp powered by usb, or do you need to use batteries? (I've noticed they're selling a rechargeable pack for it)
2) How well does it work with movies?

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 20
Apologies for double post.

Have now been looking at the SU-DH1 and think it may be more what I'm looking for. Gaming isn't my main reason for buying a surround sound processor. I already have a good headphone amp and so I purely need the surround processing.

My only question about this gadget is whether or not it can be powered by ac adaptor or not? There seem to be two versions of it, one with a power socket and one without. Can anyone tell me where to get the powered version?

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 20

Hi!

If you want it for movie than the su-dh1 is the best as it has dts also.

It can be powered by an ac adaptor too. 
I can give you the specification in case you get it. I had one and sold but kept the ac adapter.
Don't buy the official adapter. lol

Quote:
Apologies for double post.

Have now been looking at the SU-DH1 and think it may be more what I'm looking for. Gaming isn't my main reason for buying a surround sound processor. I already have a good headphone amp and so I purely need the surround processing.

My only question about this gadget is whether or not it can be powered by ac adaptor or not? There seem to be two versions of it, one with a power socket and one without. Can anyone tell me where to get the powered version?

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'm a bit more intrigued by the mixamp now.

Having googled reviews of the DSS a lot of people seem to be disappointed in its surround sound capabilities, but I think they just don't like dolby headphone.

Couple of questions:
1) Is the mixamp powered by usb, or do you need to use batteries? (I've noticed they're selling a rechargeable pack for it)
2) How well does it work with movies?

Groog,

I own the DSS which I use with my gaming headset, and I have nothing but great things to say about it! I find Dolby Headphone tech to give you perfect channel separation as compared to a multi speaker design headset. To answer your questions - it is USB powered, so there is no need for batteries. If you are using a USB powered headset (like my turtle beach X11s) it has a pass-thru so you can use the device to power the headset.

Also, I use my headset to watch blu-rays at night so I don't disturb my girlfriend (and the dog) and it makes a total world of difference - you can really hear the soundtrack the way it was meant to be heard. I would not let the Dolby haters get to you on the 'net ... give it a try and i think you will be very happy with the results.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 20
Nov 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 20
Exactly. I have one.
Quote:
Haven't checked this for a while!

Thanks for the replies. I reckon the SU-DH1 is what I want, I don't need the minor amplification of the DSS (have a little dot mk III) and I definitely DO want DTS!

What are the specs for the power adaptor? Surely I can get something suitable from ebay?

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AC-DC-MAINS-POWER-ADAPTOR-500MA-3V-4-5V-6V-7-5V-9V-12V-/200534401285?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item2eb0c82105#ht_1689wt_802 Would that do?

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 20
I would like to give the tb dss mad props. I just got it after debating it or the astro mixamp. Since mixing chat volume was not important I went with the cheaper option and after a couple reliable reviews that used both the dss and mixamp saying sound quality was essentially the same. The dss I have is hooked up toslink on my xbox 360 and using hd555 for audio. Wow amazing difference in sound. The 5.1 is done very well, using it in cod black ops I can pinpoint opponents. I used to hook up hd555 to tv via 3.5mm and was satisfied but after using this I went back and was underwhelmed how I used to be using it lol. Dss is great option if you don't need the other hookups. Plus it includes optical cable. I use regular xbox headset around my neck for voice chat. Sorry for any typos on my iPod.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 20
Well I managed to find and buy the SU-DH1. Needed the DTS capability for movies which are amazing now! The soundstage has exploded in size!

However, I can clearly hear a hum on the SU-DH1 at higher volumes which is thanks to noise coming from the DC adaptor (I tried it with batteries and the hum vanished). Anyone know of low noise DC adaptors to buy????

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 20

aznguyen316 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to give the tb dss mad props. I just got it after debating it or the astro mixamp. Since mixing chat volume was not important I went with the cheaper option and after a couple reliable reviews that used both the dss and mixamp saying sound quality was essentially the same. The dss I have is hooked up toslink on my xbox 360 and using hd555 for audio. Wow amazing difference in sound. The 5.1 is done very well, using it in cod black ops I can pinpoint opponents. I used to hook up hd555 to tv via 3.5mm and was satisfied but after using this I went back and was underwhelmed how I used to be using it lol. Dss is great option if you don't need the other hookups. Plus it includes optical cable. I use regular xbox headset around my neck for voice chat. Sorry for any typos on my iPod.

Thanks for your analysis! It's good for reference, Now I got it.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 20
I just ordered one of these DSS Ear Force devices for use w/ ps3 games & movies, and was wondering what type of phones to use (open/closed)

i have closed cans (prefer them for music) but have heard that some people recommend open cans for using these dolby simulators for wider & more realistic sound stage -- which begs the question how well do these things really work w/ closed cans? I mean the whole point is that surround sound effect w/ depth. this isnt meant to start a fight just interested in peoples opinions for this application

To me open cans always have more of a 'live concert' feel w/ lots of treble and closed cans have a more intense 'movie theatre' pound it in your head feel w/ lots of bass (which i prefer). This made me think closed cans could be better for gaming and movies but have read some posts to the opposite. anyone tried both?

First post so forgive me if this is a stupid question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back