Turntable with equalizer?
Jan 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
Well I already like the set up that I have with my turntable: Kenwood KD-1500 TT with Marantz 2226 receiver with Grado SR225i, speakers will be the Monitor Audio BR2 when I get it in a few days.

Now in my local flea market there this great seller who sells mostly vintage 70s/80s audio equipment and the vintage stuff is mostly with the metal front and the wood body from the 70s (similar to the Marantz). The guy has plenty of great and fully working equalizers and I did try them out. The seller offer me to bring in my gear to see if an equalizer is what I need.

Now I haven't been in this audio hobby for long but I do time to time use the settings on my Marantz to change the bass/treble/mid for time to time.

The Sansuis that the guy has in stock are the higher end ones and I believe are the SE-8s and the SE-9s.

Ok do you think it would be a good idea to use an equalizer for the turntable? I'm also planning to use it for the DAC as well.

I'm attracted to the Sansuis because I'm gay for their spectrum meters.
rolleyes.gif

The units are $40-$60 a piece and are fully working.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 9
Try one out and see what you think. If you like the sound the prices are certainly reasonable.

However, a lot of us don't use equalizers or tone controls. They introduce other issues and problems while seeming to solve others.

But let your ears decide. If you find it useful, go ahead and pick one up.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Probably a waste of money. You'd get better results upgrading and tweaking the turntable rather than putting superfluous electronics in the signal path. The Marantz is a decent bit of kit with good quality tone controls which should be more than adequate. Buy the Sansui if you want to drool over that '70s tech but don't expect to get any audible improvements from it.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 9
I've been curious about this myself. Being able to sculpt the frequency response of your system would be a great benefit from time to time, so long as it didn't deteriorate the SQ. This, I expect, will be the rub though. I've had bad luck with various preamps in my main stereo before I settled on running my Benchmark straight into my amp... All the 80's vintage stuff I tried seemed to suck 10% of the life out of the sound on the way to the amp. Still, I never tried an EQ per se, and your system will obviously be different than mine.

If you do give it a try, I'd love to know what you think!

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 9
With a good analog SQ, like the ones used in studio environments, it wouldn't hurt the reproduction. But, if you are just a casual listener, I think it's much better to just hear a record as the mastering engineer intended it. Though their have been some albums with very poor production I've run into, I'd say just leave it.

EQs for things like iTunes make sense though because the compression flattens the sound. For example, I use software to DJ. I put a slight "U" curve on my mp3/FLAC channels, but leave my vinyl channel alone. I find the 96/24 of my audio interface compensates well. Most DJ mixers are 96/24 anyway. But for MP3s, sound maximizers/EQs are recommended. Some EQing science goes into recording and remixing.

For $40-$60 it's worth a try though.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Well I already like the set up that I have with my turntable: Kenwood KD-1500 TT with Marantz 2226 receiver with Grado SR225i, speakers will be the Monitor Audio BR2 when I get it in a few days.

Now in my local flea market there this great seller who sells mostly vintage 70s/80s audio equipment and the vintage stuff is mostly with the metal front and the wood body from the 70s (similar to the Marantz). The guy has plenty of great and fully working equalizers and I did try them out. The seller offer me to bring in my gear to see if an equalizer is what I need.

Now I haven't been in this audio hobby for long but I do time to time use the settings on my Marantz to change the bass/treble/mid for time to time.

The Sansuis that the guy has in stock are the higher end ones and I believe are the SE-8s and the SE-9s.

Ok do you think it would be a good idea to use an equalizer for the turntable ketoconazole body wash? I'm also planning to use it for the DAC as well.

I'm attracted to the Sansuis because I'm gay for their spectrum meters.
rolleyes.gif

The units are $40-$60 a piece and are fully working.
Hello. I recently started purchasing vinyl records again. I've been looking for the above set-up online. However, there is a lot of mixed information and reviews on various items I've looked into purchasing. I figure people on this forum would be able to give the correct information. I'd like to purchase a solid vinyl player, equalizer, and speakers for around $1,000 if possible. If so, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Hello. I recently started purchasing vinyl records again. I've been looking for the above set-up online. However, there is a lot of mixed information and reviews on various items I've looked into purchasing. I figure people on this forum would be able to give the correct information. I'd like to purchase a solid vinyl player, equalizer, and speakers for around $1,000 if possible. If so, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I have a VPI Scout turntable with a Denon DL303 cartridge that works pretty good? But you could add such a turntable as a used purchase to try and meet your budget. I know very little about EQ or speakers..... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back