Turntable help!
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AHorseNamedJeff

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, so I've had my dads old Kenwood KD-66f turntable for about a month, and it's been going fine. Up until now that is. I recently discovered that while playing, the left channel fades in and out, and makes weird noises. The receiver, and speakers are fine with other inputs, and all connections are secure. This happens on all my records, so I'm sure it's the turntable. If you guys could help, that would be amazing! I don't really have anything to clean the needle with if I need to, but I'll buy stuff if I have to. Please help Head-Fi!!

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 25
Btw, everything is stock. Also, when I received it, the transfer screw wasn't in, so the arm had gotten bent out of place, so my dad bent it back into place. If anything internal is messed up, or could be because of the absence of the transfer screw, please tell me.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 25
Check the wiring in the tone arm where the head shell/cartridge connects... 

Clean the contacts with some isopropyl alcohol; take a small screwdriver (careful) and exercise the contact pin to be sure there is no gunk preventing the pin from popping back into place.

If you are using a head shell mounted cartridge, check/replace those wires; if your turntable connects with separate RCA cables try a different set of cables.

Try checking/replacing the stylus and/or entire cartridge. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 25
Wow, I really need to learn the terminology of turntables. Also, would it be worth it to just buy an audio-technica lp60 off of amazon instead of going through this hassle, and future problems? The turntable is at least 20 years old.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 25
Also, thank you so much for the depth of suggestions!

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 25
Yeah, if I were you and it was my $$, I'd probably sell the farm and go with a new AT. But, if your budget allows, I would chunk the cheap AT 3600L cartridge that comes with it (I believe that's the one) and go with something like a Shure M97xE. It will sound night and day better. Also, be cognizant that you can't control tracking with those. But that might not matter. It's an excellent TT for the coin, and very arguably the best TT out there for the $$.

See, once that tone arm got bent, there's really no telling what the problem could be. Tonearms are officially are the biggest pain in the arse components in the history of audio reproduction. Don't get me started on tracking, VTA, anti-skate, internal wiring, weight, etc,etc........

Here's a rudamentary video on tonearms to wet your whistle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoIHn2g0398

But yeah, unless you want to kill a 12 pack of cold ones and a entire weekend getting frustrated, you can troubleshoot yours. Just go with the AT. Trust me. 

Actually, just ran across this upgrade kit for the AT from LPGear. Looks promising: http://www.lpgear.com/product/UPATPL60.html

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 25
Thanks a bunch. The tonearm on my Kenwood is solid plastic, so it didn't necessarily get bent, the spot that was holding it did. I might get the LP60, and I was considering either the Shure cartridge, or the Grado Black.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 25
Had to google your TT and check it out. Didn't realize it was plastic. Your gonna have to just mess with it and see what you come up with.
This cat has some neat videos on the Kenwood if you want to see some internals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRJaDC_scJ8

I've heard both the Shure and the Grado Blue and that's a tough decision. Both are excellent. I found that I preferred the Shure
for pop/rock and the Grado for Jazz/Blues. The Shure can be modded more easily if your into that, but can be more frustrating.
Again both are excellent. I do think the Shure is just a hair more silent also. But that's arguable. I'd go with the cheaper one if
it was me. I think the Grado is just a hair cheaper right now.

Good Luck 

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks for your continuing support through this. I really appriciate all your help. I talked to my mom about it, and she said if I were to get a new table, I'd have to wait till my birthday. So, the budget would probably go up a bit. Ive got the AT-LP120 on my mind. Opinions?

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #10 of 25
If I were to go new, I'd go with a Music Hall USB-1 before the LP120 at that price point. But that price point also opens
up some really good higher priced used ones on ebay/craigslist/audiogon. Like Thorens, Dual, Technics, Rega Pro-Ject etc,etc....
I would just shop around if I were you. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 25
The ATLP120 is $225 on amazon, and the music hall is $250. The music hall comes with the lower end AT cartridge, where as the LP120 comes with a higher end one. The lp120 is three speed, where as the music hall is only 2 speed. The AT has +/- 10 or +/-20% pitch adjust, while the music hall is only +/-10%. What makes you think the music hall is worth te extra $25?? (not trying to be mean, I just want I hear your reasoning)

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 25
Hey guys, I ve been having trouble with my tone arm and want to post a picture on here but the site isn't allowing me to do so. It's saying something about the ready is ready or allowed to perform task. This is happening on every device I use to go on the net. Let me know what I can do.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 25
The reason I say I would go with the Music Hall is that my attorney went through 4 from amazon that came with warped 
platters. He then bought a USB-1 and all was fine. So really just about build quality and Quality Control issues. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 25
Oh ok. So audio-technica has awful quality control. Thanks again!

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 25
Hey guys, I ve been having trouble with my tone arm and want to post a picture on here but the site isn't allowing me to do so. It's saying something about the ready is ready or allowed to perform task. This is happening on every device I use to go on the net. Let me know what I can do.

Mobile is kinda funky. On desktop, it should be pretty easy. Make sure the image is on your hard drive and not the camera. It also might be your connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back