Turntable Help. Electrical issues.
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wiisus

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.  I have a Technics SL-1500 direct drive turntable.  When it works, it works pretty decent.  But there's an issue with motor or something.  The speed is very inconsistent.  It speeds up and slows down at random.  I know a bit about electronics, and I know how to use a soldering iron.  I opened it up, and checked out the PCBs, but nothing is obviously burnt out or anything.  Anyone have idea what the issue could be?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 6
It might not be electrical. I don't know much about Technics decks, but it probably has a bearing with oil. If you haven't changed the oil lately or the bearing is worn, that could account for the speed fluctuations.

Google the Vinyl Engine and download the user manual for your deck - they almost certainly have it.

Clean out the bearing and oil well, and I like Mobil One synthetic. Yeah, the same stuff you put in a car. I think I'm running 5W-30 in my deck. One quart will last for years. :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your answers guys!  I'm going to lube it up and I heard using DeoxIT on the pots and switches might help.  If that doesn't work, than wuwhere might be right.  Ugh.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Deoxit on the pots will probably work. Make sure you get it on the speed control pot and work play with the speed switch to work it in. My pioneer turntable had issues keeping a consistent speed, but ever since I sprayed some Deoxit on the speed pot it's been spinnin' good as new.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 6
I would also say to check the speed control pots, and clean/replace as necessary. Oiling the main bearing never hurt a technics :) Some other TT's have perminantly oiled bearings (some Denon and micro-seki TTs) but Technics TT's all need oiling periodically.

I doubt the speed control is 100% broken. When they break they spin at full speed (about 120 rpm) or dont start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back