Turntable -> Headphone amp -> headphones?
Nov 16, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering If i need a preamp or will my audio-gd compass do the job of amplifying a signal

Turntable -> preamp ->Headphone amp -> headphones

or will this work

Turntable -> audio gd-compass (bypassing DAC of course) -> headphones?

Any recommendations on a cheap pre amp if i need one?

I plan on doing technics 1200 -> compass -> ahd5000s

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
more than OMG, much more.

That's Priceless, nikongod...........But the YGTBSM Truth............ The OP could probably pick up one of those cheap NAD stand alone phono-amp, if like you say he's only needing a MM.......I think Audio-Advisor, or the Needle Doctor had them cheap.......

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 26
What do you recommend for a cheap option? The NAD ones are like 150 it looks like.

I noticed that many receivers have built in phono pre amps.  How do they compare to the standalone ones?

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
I noticed that many receivers have built in phono pre amps.  How do they compare to the standalone ones?

Older receivers (like early 1980s vintage) actually compare quite well. Some people actually say better than the current inexpensive offerings. Considering how little they sell for second hand they are a GREAT option. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 26
You have to start hunting pHEnomIC, one example. 
[size=smaller]Search[/size] [size=smaller]Buy[/size] [size=smaller]Sell[/size] [size=smaller]Learn[/size] [size=smaller]MyPage[/size]

pix24x24.gif
[size=smaller] Home > Buy > > Item: 1294950431 [/size] [size=smaller]| [/size]
pix24x24.gif

NAD PP 2 Pre-Phono
[size=smaller]Asking[/size] [size=smaller]$85.00 Sale Pend[/size]
[size=smaller]New Retail[/size] [size=smaller]-[/size]
[size=smaller]Condition[/size] [size=smaller]8/10[/size]
[size=smaller]Days/Views[/size] [size=smaller]3 / 221[/size]
[size=smaller]Ship cost[/size] [size=smaller]Inc shipping in US[/size]
[size=smaller]Ship from[/size] [size=smaller]5 lbs from 48360[/size]
[size=smaller]Ship to[/size] [size=smaller]USA only[/size]
[size=smaller]Included[/size] [size=smaller]Box, Manual[/size]
[size=smaller]About Seller[size=larger] [/size][/size] Rgor2 (18)  
[size=smaller](send email)  (view feedback)  (other items)  [/size]

[size=smaller]Pay Terms[/size] [size=smaller]Money Order, PayPal[/size]

[size=smaller]Make an Offer [/size]

[size=smaller]  Description [/size][size=smaller](NAD PP 2)[/size]
Slight scuffing on top, barely noticable. Used very little, definately under 100 hours (dont even know if its broken in yet)before upgraditis hit. I pay shipping and paypal fees. Roger

You could always go real cheap and go with one from PARTS XPRESS..look them up and search their web page for Phono-amp, her's an example 

ART DJ PRE II Phono Preamp with RIAA Equalization
245-876_L.jpg

245-876_L.jpg
245-876_Li.jpg

List Price:  $60.00 EA
Your Price:  $49.00 EA

Sku 245-876: In Stock

Qty:
WishListStar_Add.gif

Request a large quantity quote.

No Hassle Returns

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 26
I prefer my OMFGBBQ more in the Memphis style than Texan or the others.

And vintage recievers are an awesome choice. You can get a good phono stage on the cheap, but you also gey a tuner (DIY antennas are super cheap, easy and can make FM sound amazing) and the ability to power a lot of speakers. Some have nice sounding headphone jacks, too. They are the best deal out there.

Check www.fmtunerinfo.com for more information about what's out there.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 26
Hey folks,

not to jack the thread or anything, well not too much! but my query is along the same lines.

I'm just trying to plan ahead more than anything else it'll be a while before i have the funds to eh...fund any of this.

Just ordered my Little Dot MKIV and next on the list is a LD DAC_I which at some point I'd like to hook up to a turntable, ideally a used sl1200 or Project debut, what I'm wondering is would it be possible to run the TT to the DAC_I via a phono stage with usb out? and then somehow go back to a set of active monitors using the MK IV as a preamp?

would i be better off just skipping the usb part and just going straight back into the MKIV from the TT? i guess I'm just trying to skip the cable switching part of the process? would there be much SQ degradation using usb?

It makes sense in my head but i'm quite new to all this so please point out any glaringly obvious mistakes i might be making. also if you guys could suggest a phono stage with usb out that would be great, i was having a hard time finding something suitable.

oh and if i don't here back in the next 7 minutes I'm gonna start whining! seriously...
beyersmile.png

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 26
I personally think it's a very bad idea to digitize your vinyl playback for listening. It's one thing to digitize it for archiving LP's, but for playing records, you want to go TT> phono preamp> headphone amp

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
I personally think it's a very bad idea to digitize your vinyl playback for listening. It's one thing to digitize it for archiving LP's, but for playing records, you want to go TT> phono preamp> headphone amp

Once its archived, what do you do with it? Eventually someone will listen to it.

Its all about the mastering. Ooh, and records that never made it to CD. The fact that you play it off of a CD makes very little, if any, difference.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 26
I certainly love vinyl for those reasons, but what point in there is adding an A-D conversion process while listening? It's for sure not going to be completely transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back