Turntable Gurus, I need your help
Jun 23, 2008 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
I have a Dual CS 2215 Turntable that I got in the late 80s. When I got it, it came with a Shure Me97HE cartridge and stylus. I knew nothing of equipment when I got it, and I changed over to mostly cd's around the same time. I know that the stylus is chipped or busted and needs to be changed. It turns out that the cartridge and stylus are no longer made. so, my questions to you all are:
1. Do you know where I can find a replacement stylus that will fit?
2. Should I just replace the cartridge and stylus? if so, what can you recommend that would fit my turntable. I do have the instruction manuel if some of that info would be helpful.

I would like to get the best audiophile quality equipment I can to put on this thing, but I am really a turntable idiot. I am in the process of rediscovering vinyl. Alas, I dont have lots of bread, so the most cost effective answer would be best at this time. I'll sink some more bread later.
I am pretty sure that this cartridge and stylus were pretty nice when I got them, as they were a gift. But I really dont know. Please, Vinyl fans, pass me your wisdom, lord knows I need it.
confused.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 13
One of these should work:

Dual

If you have any questions, drop them a line. They're pretty good.

You might also want to give your deck a nice cleaning, a new belt and a little oil, as well. I'm not familiar with your deck, but stuff like cleaning out the bearing and adding new oil never hurts. It's cheap and relatively easy.

Get your table spinning and let us know how it goes!

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Dual turntables, but audiophile they are not.

That's a litle harsh. I have been playing with a Dual CS-505II recently and with the addition of some sorbothane feet and a new belt it sounds stunningly good for a deck that you can pick up for next to nothing ( in England anyway). It's easily in the Rega P2/P3 class and most people would consider those "audiophile", albeit entry level.

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 13
There are/were quite a lot of different Duals. Neither are all of these workhorses, nor are all of these not audiophile. And for "audiophile" in the sense of "very nice sounding", a lot also depends on the technical condition as well as the choice of cartridge...

However, I'd agree that an Me97HE is about as sophisticated a cartridge as makes sense for a CS2215. For even better and more expensive carts, I'd recommend to go for a better Dual (or Thorens or whatever) first.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are/were quite a lot of different Duals. Neither are all of these workhorses, nor are all of these not audiophile. And for "audiophile" in the sense of "very nice sounding", a lot also depends on the technical condition as well as the choice of cartridge...

However, I'd agree that an Me97HE is about as sophisticated a cartridge as makes sense for a CS2215. For even better and more expensive carts, I'd recommend to go for a better Dual (or Thorens or whatever) first.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

the Me97HE is the one that is no longer made. I am looking to replace it, or the stylus. I am looking into the suggestions already made. Bummer to hear that my table is a little less than I thought it was. I'm still taking suggestions for any that have them..

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Me97HE is the one that is no longer made. I am looking to replace it, or the stylus. I am looking into the suggestions already made. Bummer to hear that my table is a little less than I thought it was. I'm still taking suggestions for any that have them..

There is nothing wrong with your deck. It looks like a more automated version of the CS-505, Lini?

I'd say it's easily the equal of most of the Pro-Ject or Music Hall type decks you buy today for 500USD. It's a great starting point for getting into vinyl.

The CS-505.4 is still available in Europe for around 450 Euros

Your cart is from the Shure Encore series and Shure themselves say you need a new M97. However Musonic (UK) Ltd - Stylus, Styli, Needles, Cartridges, Record & Audio Accessories has the same reference number E.397 replacement for both the M97 and ME97 so there is every chance that a new N97 stylus will work for your Shure.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 13
meme: No, not really - the CS2215 has more in common both drive- and arm-wise with a recent CS455-1. The latter has become rather expensive too nowadays, though. I'd rate both as decent entry level belt-drives - i.e., both are easily good enough for Joe Average's HiFi needs. Whereas for more demanding users I'd at least recommend to go for one of the more grown-up models of the 5xx series (502, 504, 505(-1/-2/-3/-4), 506, 508, 510, 521, 522 and 528).

Those 5er models are pretty much as good as other entry-level audiophile decks, e.g. a Thorens TD280(II), but of course most of 'em will work best with high-compliance MMs due to their light ULM arms. Sensible cart price range (bought new from one of the usual dealers) would be some US$ 70 to 250, I'd say. Better deals often to be had with NOS models from eBay & Co...

Anyway, back to the 2215: For this one (as well as similar ones like the 455(-1)), I'd deem new carts from ~ US$ 70 to 130 sensible.

I'm pretty inexperienced with Shure carts, however - so I'm not really sure what would be the next best thing (provided the thread starter wants more or less the same kind of sonic presentation again). I wouldn't be surprised if the body could also take the T4P series needles (for carts like the M92E, M99E et cetera), though - so JICO's N110HE copy for ~ US$ 20 might be a possible solution that would seem worth trying...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Ah ok so more like a CS-503 perhaps? I bought one of these by mistake once ( I asked for a 505 !) in a hurry just to be able to play records. It wasn't a patch on the 505 but still not that bad either, in the same class as something like a Technics SLBD20, but way overpriced these days then....

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 13
meme: Yup, a CS503 would be pretty much the same class - and I'd concur that these Duals are about on level with a Technics SL-BD20, maybe a tad better.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 13
ok, you guys are throwing a lot of numbers around that pretty much mean nothing to me. So are we saying the Shure N97xE Stylus will fit my table? or is there something better that will fit?

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 13
The N97xE stylus may fit your old ME97 cart but I couldn't say 100% that it will. According to Musonic in England it will but according to Shure's vintage chart you should buy a new Shure M97 cart. The only way to know for
s(h)ure
tongue.gif
is to buy the replacement stylus and see if it fits. If it doesn't then buy a new M97 and you'll have a spare stylus already.

Alternatively just buy the LPgear replacement stylus, but this probably won't be quite as good as an original Shure replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back