Turntable advise
Jan 22, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #91 of 98
So are there any dd tt I can be looking at (that are within a reasonable price) besides Japanese produced ones. Not looking to start a flame war I just will no longer purchase Japanese made products for idealogical reasons.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #92 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are there any dd tt I can be looking at (that are within a reasonable price) besides Japanese produced ones. Not looking to start a flame war I just will no longer purchase Japanese made products for idealogical reasons.

Marantz made some good ones in the 70's before they were bought out by Philips. They did own Standard Radio in Japan at the time though so it's possible that the motors may have come from Japan....

Look for one with a wooden armboard so you can upgrade the tonearm as this is the weakest link on most vintage turntables.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #93 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
overated how? just curious
wink.gif

Sonically, mostly - to my ears it sounds a bit bland and limited in extension. But I also didn't like that it ate batteries like mad and was practically unusable with the NiCd AA cells one could get at that time (~ 600 mAh max.). And one of my two units developed a hairline crack in the pcb, despite only having been used stationary at home - hence I was rather disappointed of the quality and sold that one after having it repaired for quite a lot of DM...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #94 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonically, mostly - to my ears it sounds a bit bland and limited in extension. But I also didn't like that it ate batteries like mad and was practically unusable with the NiCd AA cells one could get at that time (~ 600 mAh max.). And one of my two units developed a hairline crack in the pcb, despite only having been used stationary at home - hence I was rather disappointed of the quality and sold that one after having it repaired for quite a lot of DM...

It was factory set up for Sony tape, the formulations of which changed frequently so you probably just need to recalibrate it for TDK or whatever. It's amazing on TDK-MAX if you can find them anymore. That Laser Amorphous head is definitely one of the best ever made.
I've had a couple of them as well but the only problem I had was with power supply jack socket on one getting loose through overuse. They are pretty robust. It sounds like you were unlucky with the PCB.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #95 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The '1200 arm is 12g, which is on the low-end of the 'medium' scale (generally, a medium mass arm is considered to fall between 11g-25g).

Been looking at various tonearm measurments and arms at 12-13 grams are usually described as medium to high mass in my experience.

For instance Hi-Fi Choice reviews of the Linn LVV / Ittock (both 12.5g) from the 70's and 80's.

The highest mass arms I have found are generally around 15-16g ( Zeta, Audio Technica) with 25g for the Triplanar although that is a non conventional design so it gives a range of 10-25g.

Low mass arms are conventionally 5-6g (SME 3009, Series III).

Is this what you are quoting ?http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...cartridge.html

I am unsure as to whether the terms low / medium / high may vary geographically, as I am looking at it from a UK perspective. Or perhaps they vary with the period. I suspect older arms from the 1950's like the Rek-O-Cuts are probably much higher mass?

I supose the only way to check is either by calculating http://www.audiotic.com/T&TSetup/T&TSetupFS.htm

or by ear?

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #98 of 98
I would also look into the Stanton ST-150. Many have compared it to the Technics 1200 - most people say it's about equal to it, some say it surpasses the Technics. It's a Direct Drive TT with many great features - including an SPDIF digital out. I love mine. It sounds awesome and is SOLID. The only thing that needs to be done is to replace the stock cartridge with the audiophile-friendly 680 HIFI. Prices range between $450 and $500.

Here's the link: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_st150.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back