Turntable advise
Jan 9, 2007 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've got birthday money coming in and a good TT is the only thing missing from my rig!!! Many a head-fier is asking me what I'm waiting for and get a TT. So I'm going to get a new one. BUT WHICH ONE?
eggosmile.gif

Since I'm a complete noob.....I would like to get a TT that already has a good cart and tone arm. Something in the $600 range....and that gives me $150 more to get a phono stage. It looks like many say the NAD PP-2 is a good phono stage. So I'm thinking that and one of these:

Music Hall - MMF-5 - Glass Platter Turntable

Thorens - TD-190 Turntable with OM9 Phono Cartridge

For some reason, I can't find any online retailers in the States that caries Rega P2 or P3 TTs......SO, I'm leaning more towards these two. Given my hp amp running the HD650s.....I would like a TT that has plenty of detail and speed. Anyone have experience with these two TTs to know? Thanks!

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've got birthday money coming in and a good TT is the only thing missing from my rig!!! Many a head-fier is asking me what I'm waiting for and get a TT. So I'm going to get a new one. BUT WHICH ONE?
eggosmile.gif

Since I'm a complete noob.....I would like to get a TT that already has a good cart and tone arm. Something in the $600 range....and that gives me $150 more to get a phono stage. It looks like many say the NAD PP-2 is a good phono stage. So I'm thinking that and one of these:

Music Hall - MMF-5 - Glass Platter Turntable

Thorens - TD-190 Turntable with OM9 Phono Cartridge

For some reason, I can't find any online retailers in the States that caries Rega P2 or P3 TTs......SO, I'm leaning more towards these two. Given my hp amp running the HD650s.....I would like a TT that has plenty of detail and speed. Anyone have experience with these two TTs to know? Thanks!

Try Cadence North Country Audio:
Quote:

Rega P2. Special Closeout. Comes with RB250 arm, dustcover AND the $100 glass platter upgrade. Was $600, Now $449! New.

Here's the link:

http://www.cadencebuilding.com/caden...ecialsale.html

Vlad is great to deal with and really knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try Cadence North Country Audio:
Here's the link:

http://www.cadencebuilding.com/caden...ecialsale.html

Vlad is great to deal with and really knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

This sounds like a tempting offer, if paired with a denon dl-160 any idea how this would sound say compared to a stock p3 or a thorens td295, or music hall mmf-5?

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds like a tempting offer, if paired with a denon dl-160 any idea how this would sound say compared to a stock p3 or a thorens td295, or music hall mmf-5?

I have no idea. I just saw Dave's post and I knew that North Country Audio had the Rega 2 TT available so I posted the link. Sorry
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea. I just saw Dave's post and I knew that North Country Audio had the Rega 2 TT available so I posted the link. Sorry
frown.gif

Ah, so many choices now!!!
icon10.gif
blink.gif
Not knowing what sonic differences may be, I'm still angling towards the Thorens because that seems to be the most user friendly. Anyone know how good this TT is? How does it compare to the Rega?

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 98
I used to own a Thornes, but I found it's quality to be lacking. IMO, They are well overpriced, and while simple, you can get better. I now have a totally custom made SL-1200M5GSE From Kevin at KAB. His website may be kind of shotty, but check out www.kabusa.com , give him a call, he's a bank of knowledge, and He'll talk to you for hours. If you have your mind set on belt-drive however, I'd look at the Pro-Ject tables. They have one at $450 that's great. www.needledoctor.com .

Lovin' my SL

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 98
I'm making a needle drop right this second on my new MMF-5 and I LOVE it!

I can recommend it without reservation. I got mine from AcousticSounds because they had the best deal on shipping.

I am having a BLAST getting back into vinyl after 20 years!

The only thing I've done is replaced the stock felt mat.

The cartridge was set up pretty well, I just had to tweak the zenith angle just a scosh.

You may also want to invest in Mikey Fremer's DVD, it has really been very helpful.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have your mind set on belt-drive however, I'd look at the Pro-Ject tables. They have one at $450 that's great. www.needledoctor.com .

Lovin' my SL

That one doesn't come with a cartridge right? What one would you recommend for a SP amp and Sennheiser 650?

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can recommend it without reservation. I got mine from AcousticSounds because they had the best deal on shipping.

You may also want to invest in Mikey Fremer's DVD, it has really been very helpful.

Thanks for the tip nelamvr6! I probably should pick up that DVD so that I know how to calibrate things.....it's all Greek to me right now
biggrin.gif
The MH is something I'm considering as I have their CD player....might as well have a matching set
biggrin.gif
You have the NAD phono amp as well right? How is the detail and speed? I want something that's fast sounding for my Senns.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 98
Quote:

Thanks for the tip nelamvr6! I probably should pick up that DVD so that I know how to calibrate things.....it's all Greek to me right now
biggrin.gif
The MH is something I'm considering as I have their CD player....might as well have a matching set
biggrin.gif
You have the NAD phono amp as well right? How is the detail and speed? I want something that's fast sounding for my Senns.

I like it just fine, I'd describe the detail and speed as right up with with the rest of the good solid state amps, I don't hear any grain at all. And I'm a solid state kind of guy, I like fast and detailed in all my amps. It's also nice because it will also support moving coil cartridges.

I'm sure you can get better phono stages, but probably not for less than $150. Though I have also heard good things about the Parasound.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 98
Quote:

I like it just fine, I'd describe the detail and speed as right up with with the rest of the good solid state amps, I don't hear any grain at all. And I'm a solid state kind of guy, I like fast and detailed in all my amps. It's also nice because it will also support moving coil cartridges.

I'm sure you can get better phono stages, but probably not for less than $150. Though I have also heard good things about the Parasound.

That's what I like to hear! My SP amp and HD650s seem to really like solid SS type sound. Looks like acousticsounds may be out of these items.....I'm probably going to buy from Audio Advisor, as it looks like they have more things in stock and it's the same price. I'm so tempted to buy tonight so that it might all come by my birthday
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 98
Quote:

That's what I like to hear! My SP amp and HD650s seem to really like solid SS type sound. Looks like acousticsounds may be out of these items.....I'm probably going to buy from Audio Advisor, as it looks like they have more things in stock and it's the same price. I'm so tempted to buy tonight so that it might all come by my birthday
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eggosmile.gif

Will you pretend to be surprised?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 98
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eggosmile.gif

If you really like speed and detail then eventually you're gonna wanna upgrade to a moving coil cartridge.

I'm debating upgrading now. The Goldring that comes with the MMF-5 is a fine cart, and it's quite a value getting it for free, but I know there's better out there.

But I think I'll prolly keep the Goldring for a while at least, it does sound good.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 98
Quote:

If you really like speed and detail then eventually you're gonna wanna upgrade to a moving coil cartridge.

I'm debating upgrading now. The Goldring that comes with the MMF-5 is a fine cart, and it's quite a value getting it for free, but I know there's better out there.

But I think I'll prolly keep the Goldring for a while at least, it does sound good.

Man, there's so much to learn.....but it sounds like the Music Hall is a good all in one begining TT. I think there's little doubt I'll be hitting the buy button tonight
biggrin.gif
I actually don't have to act surprised if it comes on my birthday
eggosmile.gif
All of it is money given to me by family (can't complain that some of my relatives would rather give me money instead of gifts)
icon10.gif

Later on I guess I'll research other carts. Currently I've been like that with tubes for my amp. Funny that each one I try, I don't like as much as the original.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back