Tubular Bells...whoa!
May 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there fans of this Oldfield's gem? Just got some remastered version and what a music(!), great quality recording, too.
I wish i still had AKG k601, sounds like it would be complete heaven with AKGs... Or electrostats with enough lower bass.
TRY it!

May 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Plenty of people do
smily_headphones1.gif

Myself, duggeh, etc...
enjoy it
wink.gif

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm looking for a good copy. Any CD releases in particular to look out for?

May 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes, please post which CD release you like. I need to re-buy this and can't decide between the 1992 release and the 2003 remake. Maybe there is a better version than either of those?

May 8, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a good copy. Any CD releases in particular to look out for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, please post which CD release you like. I need to re-buy this and can't decide between the 1992 release and the 2003 remake. Maybe there is a better version than either of those?

Keep an eye out for the SACD version. It's worth it.
k1000smile.gif

May 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 13
Mike Oldfield is in my top 10 favorite artists ever, and probably the single most inflential artist on the kind of music I make.

May 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Get ahold of the 200gram classic records LP for the best vinyl. The 2000 HDCD masters of the discography are a mixed bag but TB doesn't particularly suffer. It is louder, but not a lot. Next month theres a re-release which has, probably unfortunately, been remastered by Oldfield himself. He's ****ed up badly in the past at this task but I still have hopes.

If you want moar bass get the 2003 rerecording

May 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 13
I was shopping for used LPs a month or two ago and I figured there was a copy of Tubular Bells ($2
biggrin.gif
) - I wouldn't have a clue about Oldfield if it wasn't for Duggeh, so I have to give him credit for the indirect recommendation.

I'm not a fan of synthesized music for the most part, but I really like this one. Good sound quality and great music.

May 9, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 13
There are no synths on Tubular Bells.

Tubular Bells 2003 is filled to the brim with synths and samples. Its a piece of the jigsaw that explains why its not as good as the original.

I've really also got to counter the great sound quality attitude. Tubular Bells is like Dark Side Of The Moon, its a good quality, pretty famous album with excellent music but both of them are by no means audiophile level in terms of the sound.

May 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 13
I discovered this album through my dad's record collection. Now one of my all time favourites. Noticed its been released later in the year. May pick up a copy. Although most of the recently remastered stuff i have bought sounded like garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back