Tubes vs. Solid State amplification for specific headphones - add your recommendations here!
Jan 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect, that seems like a pretty unhelpful comment in this context. Telling people to totally disregard headphone-amp synergy in a thread specifically devoted to that topic (albeit in a general way) doesn't really make much sense.

I think I have to side with david (vcoheda) here. People put too much on synergy. Usually the best source/amp sounds the best with a certain headphone compared to a worse source/amp. There are exceptions, but its pretty uncommon imo

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyRedHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might there be a Tube contender that is great for 701s and the 650s? Besides the Single Power?

The Zana Deux handles both the K-701 and HD-650 amazingly well.

I was going to sell the K-701s until I heard them on the Zana Deux. They came to life for the first time. I am keeping them now. And the HD-650 almost sounds electrostatic with it. I've heard the HD-650 perform, but never well with tubes. I was convinced it needed a heavy hit of solid state power. Still believe that, but I know now there are exceptions.

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyRedHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might there be a Tube contender that is great for 701s and the 650s? Besides the Single Power?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zana Deux handles both the K-701 and HD-650 amazingly well.

I was going to sell the K-701s until I heard them on the Zana Deux. They came to life for the first time. I am keeping them now. And the HD-650 almost sounds electrostatic with it. I've heard the HD-650 perform, but never well with tubes. I was convinced it needed a heavy hit of solid state power. Still believe that, but I know now there are exceptions.

I found the RKV II with upgraded opamps also does a pretty good job serving both HD650 and K701, in reference to my upgraded SP Extreme.

Your wife might give a green light on the RKV ?
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to sell the K-701s until I heard them on the Zana Deux. They came to life for the first time. I am keeping them now. And the HD-650 almost sounds electrostatic with it.

OT: Dang I want to hear this amp. I will have to make sure I do myself the honour of listening to it before I ever consider buying an SP.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #21 of 24
My gear is by no means as extensive as most who will post in this thread...

That being said, for me SS vs. Tube is more a function of music selection than headphone selection (I have one primary HP). If I want to listen to 60-70's rock its tubes; 1990's country = SS; Choir/Voice and Piano = Tube; Pop = SS.

I think some genres benefit more from tube coloration, other genres from SS coloration. That is not to say all SS have the same coloration nor do all tube amps, The tendencies of each have been overcome by the brilliance of amp builders.

Anyway my 2 cents.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 24
Hmmm, I do love the Denon's with SS. And the only other set of cans I have left are K340's and these need some juice. I've heard them through 15k tube jobs and other great tube amps but my Pass Labs Aleph 30 gives them a wonderful sound IMHO.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People put too much on synergy. Usually the best source/amp sounds the best with a certain headphone compared to a worse source/amp. There are exceptions, but its pretty uncommon imo

x2.

the better the amp and source, the better the sound. i'm sure there are a few exceptions to this rule - but i bet they are few indeed. the real controversy is the definition of good and better.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 24
K-701 and HD-595 (150 Ohm version) sound great on my SS Blue Circle SBH, My tube SinglePower MPX3 SLAM, SE, and my tube MAD Ear+ HD Purist.

Both are incredibly versatile head phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back