Tubes vs. Solid State amplification for specific headphones - add your recommendations here!
Jan 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Of the headphones I own, here are my recommendations, this being a "general rule" sort of thing, obviously:

JVC DX1000 - Tubes
Beyer DT990 - Tubes
Denon D5000 - SS
Regular Darth Beyers - SS
Deep-cup Darth Beyers - Tubes
Luke SkyBeyers - Tubes
Audio Technica ESW9 - SS

What have you guys found?

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 24
I think this type of quest tends to stereotype both Tube and Solid State amps. Both my tube amps for more detailed than several SS amps that I have heard and had. The stereotype that I am assuming here is that tube amps are considered to be warmer and less detailed than solid state amps in general.

It really comes down to the specific synergy of each pair as far as I am concern.

Now would it be better to say this in respect to whether the headphone sounds better with a warmer or more detailed amp instead?

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 24
Yeah, no doubt that this does lead to some stereotyping, yes. But I have gotten a "rash" of PM's lately on this topic, and so I thought it might be good to put this out there as a bit of a starting point, with the caveat certainly as you point out that would be, in fact, just a starting point...

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the headphones I own, here are my recommendations, this being a "general rule" sort of thing, obviously:

JVC DX1000 - Tubes
Beyer DT990 - Tubes
Denon D5000 - SS
Regular Darth Beyers - SS
Deep-cup Darth Beyers - Tubes
Luke SkyBeyers - Tubes
Audio Technica ESW9 - SS

What have you guys found?

I like any headphone better on tubes. You just have to have the right tube amp for the job. Some tube amps work best with higher impedences while some transformer coupled models do low impedence headphones better. Some ... like the SP Extreme have enough power to drive any impedence. Moreover, you cant stereotype tubes like slwiser stated. Some tube amps are cleaner, clearer and have better bass than SS. The old adage tubes are warm, slow and rolled off is simpley not true.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 24
I certainly agree that the idea that tube amps are warm, slow, and rolled off isn't true - I wouldn't like them so much if they were! And your point about "finding the right tube amp for the job" is also well taken.

Still, and I guess this may just be "with my specific amps", I find that there are some things that are more universal. The DX1000's, for example, just do not sound good to me using SS amplification. The DT990's also benefit so very strongly from tubes, IMO. In the case of the Denon, I have never felt that any of my tube amps really excelled with them, even though I have a few (like the SP Extreme) that can drive lower impedance cans.

Still, perhaps you are right, maybe this thread isn;t going to be helpful. I am just always trying to find ways to start threads that will cut down on my PM traffic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 24
I tried Denon D2000 with Graham 'Green' solo, Darkvoice 336i & Millet Hybrid Max, all I can say this cans match well with Green solo, and there is a distortion with 336i, also Millet Hybrid Max doesn't give enough excitement as what Green solo did to D2000.

So here goes my vouch.
Denon D2000 - Solid State amp

My K701? I haven't paired it yet with tubes amp, will do in the future.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 24
Have you compiled a list of the questions that your PMs have asked and maybe setup a thread of FAQs that you have had to field. Then place this thread link into your sig...

Just a suggestion...

I have appreciated all your efforts and you did ask what we thought or was that found?

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried Denon D2000 with Graham 'Green' solo, Darkvoice 336i & Millet Hybrid Max, all I can say this cans match well with Green solo, and there is a distortion with 336i, also Millet Hybrid Max doesn't give enough excitement as what Green solo did to D2000.

So here goes my vouch.
Denon D2000 - Solid State amp

Ruht roh (Skylab's avatar made me say "uh oh" this way
wink.gif
)...I hope I've made some good decisions this past week(?). I had nowhere to start from (gear or previous knowledge), so I researched & read reviews & then purchased each of my components on a separate & individual basis. As you can see from my sig, I have matched up the D2000s w/ LD MKIII (& Zero DAC). I guess I'll just have to wait & see how the synergy works out! There's a good chance that some of this may be beyond where my current critical listening levels are at anyways. It's the beginning of the journey, right!?

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compiled a list of the questions that your PMs have asked and maybe setup a thread of FAQs that you have had to field. Then place this thread link into your sig...

Just a suggestion...

I have appreciated all your efforts and you did ask what we thought or was that found?

That's a very good suggestion, thanks!

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 24
This is a good thread. It should run. It shouldn't be looked upon as Tube vs. Solid-State. But of course it will end up that way. How about phones that are great with both. The Sennheiser 580,600,650 series.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 24
Actually, when I had K701's, I thought they sounded great with tube amps. When I owned HD650's (before discovering head-fi) I did not have a tube headphone amp, but they did sound very good when I heard them on a SP Extreme at a meet (I know you said "Beside the SP", but that is all I have heard them with...)

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like any headphone better on tubes. You just have to have the right tube amp for the job.

I also love tube amps. The liquidity of tubes is not found on SS. However, for system synergy, sometimes, a few SS can do better at the cost of liquidity.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best course imo is to just buy the best amp you can afford, regardless of what headphones you own.

With respect, that seems like a pretty unhelpful comment in this context. Telling people to totally disregard headphone-amp synergy in a thread specifically devoted to that topic (albeit in a general way) doesn't really make much sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back