Tubes vs. Marantz
Feb 27, 2004 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
ok ok, i know this has been asked a million times, but i really do need help

so i just got a Marantz 2226B receiver and i must admit that i'm really impressed with the sound of it, both with my speakers and my headphones.

the sound out of the speakers thru the marantz is not quite up to par with the ASL monoblocks i have. The ASL's are just a little bit better in every category, which to me is a big difference.

i'm getting a PIMETA from Mister X in a few days that would go with the ASL setup so then i can judge for sure.

so, if the sound from both is pretty comparable, should i keep the ASL's and PIMETA and sell the 2226b for ~$120 or should i sell the ASL setup and the PIMETA for around ~$550?

i mean, the ASL's are better sounding, but the preamp doesn't have balance, treble, bass, or midrange adjustment which i think is real nice in a dorm. i can really hit the sweetspot using the balance feature but AHH! the overall sound isn't quite as nice as the tubes!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

May 12, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 6
I’ve read that Marantz amps can have a distinctive sound and I have to agree. There is a distinctive sound that’s hard for me to describe.

I like it and they’re great amps but personally, I prefer a good quality tube over it.

That said, I do own a Marantz amp anyway and for me, it’s perfect for casual background listening in my work area in the basement with some decent speakers.

The nice thing especially vintage Marantz amps with the silver front plate is that they look beautiful. It’s kind of like a visit to the 1970s.

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Since we’re on the topic of mainstream brand name Hi Fi, I’d like to mention Yamaha.

I recently bought a Yamaha CD player (around $300) and I like it. I just use it for relaxing in my bedroom.

If you buy Yamaha, it’s good.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Also, comparing a vintage Marantz solid state to a modern solid state amp, I actually prefer the modern solid state amp.

From my experience, a vintage Marantz sounds somewhat unrefined compared to a high quality modern solid state amp that’s op amp based. Don’t get me wrong, the Marantz is still good sounding especially with vinyl records.

I still keep my vintage Marantz anyway because it looks beautiful, a part of amazing history of the early 1970s and the build quality is like a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back