Tubes for STAX Amps.....
Mar 1, 2007 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ESL-1

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently added a Stax SRM-T1 tube amp to my growing collection and was wondering if any of my fellow addicts has had any experience with different brand tubes with this unit? I have read elsewhere that results with "made in Japan" tubes is excellent but was hoping for additional leads should I contemplate some experimentation. In the meantime the amp is sounding great with my Lambda's, SRX-Mk3's and SR-5. Thanks for any thoughts.... ESL-1
lambda.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 7
just be sure to rebias it, and let it idle with no headphones for a good time, until it is stable. then rebias, and idle.... it can go on for a while with new tubes.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 7
for the good "stable" advice and quick response time. I guess all will be revealed in time. In the meantime I am still in my first days of acquainting myself with the new acquisition and have not even popped the top off yet. I'm figuring a small "Hi-Fi" shop I used to manage may be a source for some new old stock tubes to play with when the itch finally gets to me... Be well
lambda.gif

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 7
I could use help getting my stax srm-007tII in better condition. I just purchased this amp and the 009's.
I'm new to head-fi as a hobby and this forum.
I know nothing about adjusting the voltage bias. If anyone could direct me to answers and possibly recommend quality tubes, I'd be grateful.

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 7
I am also a new owner of the SRM-007tII, and as far as new tubes go, I understand the importance of matching the triodes of the individual tubes, but is it necessary to buy matched quads?

Matched pairs are easier to find, and I would think you could even the channels out assuming the two pairs aren't that far apart...

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I am also a new owner of the SRM-007tII, and as far as new tubes go, I understand the importance of matching the triodes of the individual tubes, but is it necessary to buy matched quads?

Matched pairs are easier to find, and I would think you could even the channels out assuming the two pairs aren't that far apart...

You can buy two matched pairs.
When you'll made the "fine tuning" as reported here https://www.head-fi.org/articles/adjusting-bias-on-stax-tube-amplifiers.17232/ you'll do the setting for each channel separately.
So try to find good pairs with each tube having the two internal triodes well matched.

Carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back