Tubes and powering on
Sep 27, 2007 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
I read in the tube FAQ that the greatest chance of failure for a tube is during powering on, and that it is recommended that the amp be left on sometimes in order to avoid this. Is this really much of an issue, though? I'm somewhat worried about creating so much heat with my Darkvoice, and the power consumption irks me a little bit. I mean, it's not like the tubes would exactly be expensive to replace. A new pair would run me $30-$50, so it's not back-breaking in the slightest.

But, I'm a n00b. Any other opinions on the matter?

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 8
I think that that is an older concept that applies to power amps and not to pre-amps or headphone amps. Power amps are much harder on their tubes and tend to have a much shorter life. Headphone amps are basically pre-amps on steroids and are typically very easy on tubes. If you ask Mikhail at SP, he'll say your tubes (at least on my PPX3 Slam) should last longer than you'll probably own the amp.

Bottom line -- don't worry about it.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

Oh, and on a side note, the Darkvoice sounds absolutely fantastic.

I am liking mine as well. Just got it not long ago, but like what I hear..
580smile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I read in the tube FAQ that the greatest chance of failure for a tube is during powering on, and that it is recommended that the amp be left on sometimes in order to avoid this. Is this really much of an issue, though? I'm somewhat worried about creating so much heat with my Darkvoice, and the power consumption irks me a little bit. I mean, it's not like the tubes would exactly be expensive to replace. A new pair would run me $30-$50, so it's not back-breaking in the slightest.

But, I'm a n00b. Any other opinions on the matter?

By the time the tubes wear out you will probably have a box full that you have played with trying out different combinations. As to heat and power consumption, do you have an air conditioner running in the summer? It gives off a great quanity of heat and eats electric. How about a car? And neither of those things glow neatly in the dark while you listen to music.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the time the tubes wear out you will probably have a box full that you have played with trying out different combinations. .

Ain't THAT the truth!
580smile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 8
"If you ask Mikhail at SP, he'll say your tubes (at least on my PPX3 Slam) should last longer than you'll probably own the amp."

Many here don't own any given amp all that long, considering some of the not even burnt in ones I see on the "for sale forum".

- augustwest

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I read in the tube FAQ that the greatest chance of failure for a tube is during powering on

same is true of a light bulb ...
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back